Nice win for SC against LSU | The Boneyard

Nice win for SC against LSU

Reaction Score
Tough, close game. Tied with 90 seconds to go, but SC had taken momentum. Dumb foul by Angel Reese was #5 and she was gone last couple of minutes. Bree Hall was killer with a couple of late 3s- was impressed by Van Lith too. Both teams are strong and deep- LSU is #9? Underrated.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Geez, I would’ve said van Lith just about gave the game away. She had two bad turnovers and an ill-advised contested three in the last few minutes. Definitely helped by the Reese foul out.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
strong and deep- LSU is #9? Underrated.
Morrow was a huge get for them. I like them a lot better than last year's team. I think the Huskies can play with both those teams but not in a slugfest under the basket like this was. Cardoso/Kitts and Reese/Morrow a lot to deal with from either team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Outstanding game in an outstanding atmosphere. Both teams have some incredibly talented players with killer instincts. I do hate LSU lost S Smith. She really compliments the talent around her and would have been a better replacement than A Del Rosario with her experience.

Reaction Score
I don’t think LSU is underrated. They can certainly be as good as advertised when they want to be, but they aren’t consistent enough.
Agreed. I think LSU at their best is possibly the #2 team in the country, but they rarely fire on all cylinders. Could see anything from Final Four to a loss in the 2nd round.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Great game. Great environment. Great outcome (if you're a Gamecock fan).

LSU played probably their best game so far this year. SC did not play a great game and still came away with a 6 point win somehow. I was very impressed to see Dawn's young team grind out a gritty win in what had to be a hellish road environment. I'm not sure I've ever heard a game be so loud throughout the entire game like this game. Bravo to the LSU fans.

Not sure there are 8 teams better than LSU. They can beat anybody when they're clicking.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That was an amazing game, such a battle and so much energy on both sides.

Going through the main players:

LSU:

Hailey Van Lith cost LSU dearly tonight, though I was happy for her to make a huge three down the stretch. Just poor decision making skills and didn't look particularly comfortable running the show. If she can find some rhythm and make better decisions, LSU is a legitimate title contender. They just need more consistency from her. The loss of Poole is huge since Kateri was solid in the PG role and Hailey Van Lith just doesn't look comfortable.

Reese was great on both ends but her last foul was extremely costly. In her defense, I thought the 4th foul on her was ridiculous. Much better showing this year vs. SC than last year. I also loved seeing (and hearing) how supportive she was to her teammates. I'm sure she'll be ready for a potential rematch in the SEC Championship.

Morrow also had a great first half and got an awful 2nd foul call against her that put her on the bench in the first. Felt like SC got the calls tonight, but SC made plays down the stretch and deserved the win. Anyway, Morrow is a great player. Her 3 ball looks smooth too.

Del Rosario is a work in progress but did a really nice job in limited minutes. Big ask of her to take on Cardoso and I thought she defended her well in the early part of her playing time.

Mikaylah Williams had some tough shots that didn't fall, she needs to improve shot selection but sky is the limit for her. I think LSU should post her up more since she has size and she looks so good shooting midrange fadeaways. She's going to be great.

Flaujae was quiet but good in moments. Would've liked to see her more aggressive offensively.

For SC:

Bree Hall didn't have a noticeably big game but came through BIG down the stretch. 2 money threes that created the difference.

Raven Johnson was SOLID on both ends. Make 1-2 dumb TOs but thought her defense was good and she was very good at finishing when she took the ball to the rim. Good night for her.

Fulwiley was electric. I wish Dawn unleashed her more, she turned around the first half for SC and the energy on the court just increases.

Cardoso was a beast once she woke up in the 2nd. She had some brilliant footwork offensively and came up big in the 2nd half. Needs to get going earlier though and demand the ball.

Kitts was quite good in the first half. FTs were rough but a really good showing for her. In games I've seen it looks like a common trend where she starts out strong and then fades as the game unfolds. I don't know if it's her fading as much as she just plays with a lot of energy from the get go and it takes others to get going? Curious to hear if any SC fans have noticed this too.

Pao Pao was forcing her shot a bit and then let it come to her at the end. Good decision making down the stretch.

Watkins didn't have a good night. Picked up quick fouls. She'll need to play smarter vs. UCONN if Cardoso is out.

Overall, what a great game for women's basketball! Packed house, some great play from both teams and players made big plays down the stretch. Can't ask for much more.

Reaction Score
Reese was great on both ends but her last foul was extremely costly. In her defense, I thought the 4th foul on her was ridiculous. Much better showing this year vs. SC than last year. I also loved seeing (and hearing) how supportive she was to her teammates. I'm sure she'll be ready for a potential rematch in the SEC Championship.

apparently you missed the replay of that foul.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
That was an amazing game, such a battle and so much energy on both sides.

Going through the main players:

LSU:

Hailey Van Lith cost LSU dearly tonight, though I was happy for her to make a huge three down the stretch. Just poor decision making skills and didn't look particularly comfortable running the show. If she can find some rhythm and make better decisions, LSU is a legitimate title contender. They just need more consistency from her. The loss of Poole is huge since Kateri was solid in the PG role and Hailey Van Lith just doesn't look comfortable.

Morrow also had a great first half and got an awful 2nd foul call against her that put her on the bench in the first. Felt like SC got the calls tonight, but SC made plays down the stretch and deserved the win. Anyway, Morrow is a great player. Her 3 ball looks smooth too.

Del Rosario is a work in progress but did a really nice job in limited minutes. Big ask of her to take on Cardoso and I thought she defended her well in the early part of her playing time.

Mikaylah Williams had some tough shots that didn't fall, she needs to improve shot selection but sky is the limit for her. I think LSU should post her up more since she has size and she looks so good shooting midrange fadeaways. She's going to be great.

Flaujae was quiet but good in moments. Would've liked to see her more aggressive offensively.

For SC:

Bree Hall didn't have a noticeably big game but came through BIG down the stretch. 2 money threes that created the difference.

Raven Johnson was SOLID on both ends. Make 1-2 dumb TOs but thought her defense was good and she was very good at finishing when she took the ball to the rim. Good night for her.

Fulwiley was electric. I wish Dawn unleashed her more, she turned around the first half for SC and the energy on the court just increases.

Cardoso was a beast once she woke up in the 2nd. She had some brilliant footwork offensively and came up big in the 2nd half. Needs to get going earlier though and demand the ball.

Kitts was quite good in the first half. FTs were rough but a really good showing for her. In games I've seen it looks like a common trend where she starts out strong and then fades as the game unfolds. I don't know if it's her fading as much as she just plays with a lot of energy from the get go and it takes others to get going? Curious to hear if any SC fans have noticed this too.

Pao Pao was forcing her shot a bit and then let it come to her at the end. Good decision making down the stretch.

Watkins didn't have a good night. Picked up quick fouls. She'll need to play smarter vs. UCONN if Cardoso is out.

Overall, what a great game for women's basketball! Packed house, some great play from both teams and players made big plays down the stretch. Can't ask for much more.
Felt like an E8/FF game.

Reaction Score
It was a highly entertaining game for fans of the sport. PaoPao forced a lot of shots and was off, Cardoso took some time to get going and remember she had the height and speed advantage. Kitts is much better than I thought she would be when she came to SC last spring. Raven Johnson impresses me pretty much every time I see them.

LSU, while their pieces don't fit together as well, played terrific most of the game. I don't see Hailey Van Lith as a point guard no matter how hard she works but she made some big shots. Morrow played very well. LSU kept SC on their heels but when Reese fouled out I knew the tide was turning.

This was an excellent game and I hope these two square off again in either the SEC tournament or even the NCAA FF.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
This first half was the most I've maybe ever been impressed with Reese. She is just a warrior on the glass and minus the stupid fouls I thought played very hard on defense. She definitely tired out though as the game went on, with plus the foul trouble, limited her effectiveness.

I am curious how her game translates on the next level. She will need to develop more of a midrange shot at least to succeed at the pros. She hit one but was badly off on others. Right now I kind of think her peak is a Monique Billings career, which is a very valuable, high energy role player.

Reaction Score
Look at 1hr and 6 minute mark with the ruling. Reese pulled Cardoso down by the jersey.

Reaction Score
So many are making Van Lith the scapegoat. On whole, I thought Van Lith played very well at the PG position. Van Lith ran the offense well, and it really showed when Poa? came in to give Van Lith a breather. Given that Van Lith is playing the 1 vs 2 I really saw Van Lith as one of the reasons LSU was ahead nearly the entire game.

Reaction Score
I'm not really surprised by LSU performance. In front of that crowd and considering how they lost last year I expected them to show up. At the end of the day I believe that chip on their shoulder propelled them but also bit them in the end.

It was a winnable game for them but during key parts of the game it felt like LSU was more interested in showboating than extending the lead. By the 4th quarter Angel was out of control emotionally and was basically asking for the refs to call a foul. If anybody I think she cost them the game.

I was impressed with Morrow, I know she wanted to prove herself in this game in particular and she held her own. I enjoyed Bree Hall performance, she struggled offensively for 3 quarters but defensively she made Williams work for her shots.

Overall a great game for WBB on primetime.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
This first half was the most I've maybe ever been impressed with Reese. She is just a warrior on the glass and minus the stupid fouls I thought played very hard on defense. She definitely tired out though as the game went on, with plus the foul trouble, limited her effectiveness.

I am curious how her game translates on the next level. She will need to develop more of a midrange shot at least to succeed at the pros. She hit one but was badly off on others. Right now I kind of think her peak is a Monique Billings career, which is a very valuable, high energy role player.
She also surprised me with her two-man (sorry) game with Morrow. They play well together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom