Nice reading other teams' forums now | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Nice reading other teams' forums now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After a day of acknowledging UConn's accomplishments, a variety of boards are in full tear down mode now after realizing the potential of Ollieworld taking over the universe. I am going to respect Tom's wishes not to quote directly, but the PC board is right now going over the top about the Rudy gay recruitment. Seriously, if a PC fan ever posts here again, they better begin with an apology for their know-nothing brethren.
Ollieworld? Doomed.

Reaction Score
It was @albanycuse I think. Said we wouldnt win another in 50 years or something. In credit to him, he did come by and congratulate us on the NC (albeit with the "you won the games put in front of you" schtick)....

I wonder what team ever won a tournament without winning the games put in front of them.

Reaction Score
Go check Syracuse board. Not too happy over there.
Now that is really shocking news.:) They are learning to accept failure and the unhappiness that goes with it.

Reaction Score
We might have a weird mentality up here in the northeast.

Carolina and Duke would never dream of separating. Alabama and Auburn live for their games against each other. Ditto for Michigan and Ohio State.

The northeast?

Syracuse can't get away from Georgetown fast enough. Boston College would drink Drano before engaging UConn. Providence and UConn probably lost each other's phone numbers four seconds after the C7 split. Rutgers will call UConn for a game the day after the world ends. UConn has 2,374 unread messages in the inbox from UMass.

I don't get it. The rest of the planet lives for rivalries - we live to end them. That's why I am certain we'll never join the ACC - the surest voting block against us is our former conference mates.
Hadn't thought of this in depth before, very true. Arguably if you are BC or UMass you can rationalize your dislike of Calhoun. Calhoun's dislike of BC was for BC doing to UConn what Calhoun/UConn did to UMass.

The net result of all the schadenfreude is Northeast Football has rarely amounted to much and basketball has now fragmented itself towards limping down that same path.

Reaction Score
After the '99 victory the Yard was absolutely BOMBED with fans of other teams coming over to give props.
Back then Dook was everyone's enemy and UConn was rightly or wrongly the underdog. Now that we've won 4 times there are many more UConn fans but also many more UConn haters.

Reaction Score
We might have a weird mentality up here in the northeast.

Carolina and Duke would never dream of separating. Alabama and Auburn live for their games against each other. Ditto for Michigan and Ohio State.

The northeast?

Syracuse can't get away from Georgetown fast enough. Boston College would drink Drano before engaging UConn. Providence and UConn probably lost each other's phone numbers four seconds after the C7 split. Rutgers will call UConn for a game the day after the world ends. UConn has 2,374 unread messages in the inbox from UMass.

I don't get it. The rest of the planet lives for rivalries - we live to end them. That's why I am certain we'll never join the ACC - the surest voting block against us is our former conference mates.
If you think about it, this area of the country has always been at competition which each other since colonization. Only area in the country where they think this way, as you said. Everywhere else, they united against the native Americans and maintained that unity.

Reaction Score
I would argue that it doesn't. Rivalries increase visibility. They garner superior TV ratings. They help generate more passion among fanbases. All of these things, in various ways, lead to recruits wanting to be a part of it. Rising tides lift all boats.

It's a similar concept to having a Starbucks move in across the street from a local coffee shop. That's been shown to increase the locals business substantially, rather than hurting it as you would think.

Completely agree. Auburn/Alabama, UCLA/USC, Michigan/Ohio St, Texas/Oklahoma were all in place before TV even existed.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Completely agree. Auburn/Alabama, UCLA/USC, Michigan/Ohio St, Texas/Oklahoma were all in place before TV even existed.
The originally thinking behind the conferences was to make scheduling easier and to cut down on travel costs. Media deals have made travel costs (as well as regional rivalries) less of consideration.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
What's so funny is all these posts that make it sound like conference affiliation is an end in itself. Like, you're in the ACC or Big 10, so you're a success, not that being in a good conference will help you to win championships. Clemson and Northwestern must be better than UConn, I guess.
It's the only way to reconcile their current title-challenged position.

Reaction Score
The originally thinking behind the conferences was to make scheduling easier and to cut down on travel costs. Media deals have made travel costs (as well as regional rivalries) less of consideration.

Plus - with all that money - all the big schools typically charter planes now. Team bus brings you right to a plane, you throw your bags on and go. You're not worried about the extra three hours of public airport navigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom