Nice job building the culture Danny | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nice job building the culture Danny

Reaction Score
They feel as if any misstep by Hurley somehow vindicates KO. Weird breed for sure.
That is definitely not me. I couldn’t care less about Ollie. Not sure how anyone could possibly jump to that conclusion.

Reaction Score
cant pass judgment until the roster is set for next season. the way i'm looking at it for now is that 5 of the bottom 6 players on the team are transferring.

this happens at kentucky every year. people were saying hurley was too loyal, well be careful what you wish for. if we get newton, ramey, castle, and two depth pieces the offseason will have been a huge success in my book and everyone can eat crow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They feel as if any misstep by Hurley somehow vindicates KO. Weird breed for sure.
it's just poor logic overall. are we where we want to be? no. but we're better off than where we were.

at least until today. now we get to see. but it's still not the mess that it was. I'm on record saying I don't think Hurley is the guy, but not enough has gone wrong yet for me to be definitive on that and I figured he'd get at least a couple more years given the circumstances.

Reaction Score
cant pass judgment until the roster is set for next season. the way i'm looking at it for now is that 5 of the bottom 6 players on the team are transferring.

this happens at kentucky every year. people were saying hurley was too loyal, well be careful what you wish for. if we get newton, ramey, castle, and two depth pieces the offseason will have been a huge success in my book and everyone can eat crow.
True, true — concerning though…

Reaction Score
Complain about results if you want, but this obsession with mocking culture is so odd. Every coach in every sport talks about culture. If we had brought in 6 transfers last year he’d be talking about culture. If you read to much into it that’s a you problem
Culture is the most overrated component of teams it is almost laughable. Look at any team sport and any good coach will trade talent for culture any time. The Yankees are paying a guy a kings ransom that fans, the manager, the front office all hate because he got people out, not because he is good for culture. As I said before, you want culture, go to Jorgensen.

Reaction Score
So now he's run off 2 highly touted recruits that never were given a chance to see the floor. All while giving undeserved minutes to upper-classmen in exchange for the 2nd consecutive 1st round NCAA flameout. And in the interest of building culture? Well guess what? Now he's gonna have to fill his team with a bunch of transfers or face next season with his son as our #1 option at point guard. Well done DH. Can't wait to see what you have in store next.
Dude go join the Syracuse board as you sure love creating misery.

Reaction Score
Culture is the most overrated component of teams it is almost laughable. Look at any team sport and any good coach will trade talent for culture any time. The Yankees are paying a guy a kings ransom that fans, the manager, the front office all hate because he got people out, not because he is good for culture. As I said before, you want culture, go to Jorgensen.

Yet if you google his name and culture the first thing that comes up is that they thought it was the team's culture that got him to sign there.

It's a buzzword, that's it.

Reaction Score
So now he's run off 2 highly touted recruits that never were given a chance to see the floor. All while giving undeserved minutes to upper-classmen in exchange for the 2nd consecutive 1st round NCAA flameout. And in the interest of building culture? Well guess what? Now he's gonna have to fill his team with a bunch of transfers or face next season with his son as our #1 option at point guard. Well done DH. Can't wait to see what you have in store next.

Hurley has a good trio of Hawk, AJacks, and Sanogo. That's the good thing for us. However, they need to be surrounded by guards who can handle the rock and shoot the ball from the perimeter. The fact that we have an exodus at the position we most need help in is not good.

Hurley has 2 main problems: recruiting isn't as good as people think it is. The guys we lost are overrated Jersey guards who aren't that good. The other problem is what you alluded to which is an identity crisis. You can't talk about culture and wanting to build with high school players, and then have transfers as main guys, talk about you are against the mercenary portal and then run to the portal to find mercenaries to run high-school recruits away from playing time.

Similar to Ollie his words don't match his actions. Hurley was praising Gaff as a future pro NBA player in his first two years in Storrs, and Gaff was mismanaged, and became a shell of himself. He talks about Samson as having lottery potential/wall guy and the kid barely played. He talked about Springs as being one of the best rebounding bigs he's ever seen, and the dude hasn't seen the court in 3 years here.

You have to be really successful to keep guys waiting like that in this new super corrupt era of NCAA basketball. You can't lose to New Mexico State in the first round for example.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Imagine this. Youre a new on campus guy. You don’t play all year and after a year of practice and coaching, your staff is hitting the transfer portal to look for someone to play over you instead of investing, trusting, and coaching you to be that guy.

Marcus, AJ, Kemba, and Bazz all were leading the team by their sophomore years and none of those years were pretty. But it made for great junior and senior years. It doesn’t always have to be win now if you’re actually building a culture and program. It should’ve been that way for Gaffney too his sophomore year but I digress…

Hurley needs to do a better job of trusting and investing in his young players. Point blank. This isn’t college football.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
There's literally no mention of KO in this thread until this comment. No one is vindicating Ollie, who's been gone for quite some time now. And it would be hard to vindicate him, given the team's trail-off in performance.

On the other hand, there definitely is a large contingent of "Hurley can do no wrong!" followers that attack anyone who calls attention to what may well be red flags. All of us hope they're not, but you'd have to be oblivious to not notice them.

Reaction Score

I’m 100% with @bendm on this. Here’s what seems to be clear to me: Hurley has a culture that revolves around hard work, dedication and commitment. That goes for his players and his staff. BUT he clearly doesn’t apply that culture all the time. I believe that he had his guys - Whaley, Polley, Cole, Martin, Sanogo, AJax. And everyone else on the roster was on the outside of Hurley World looking in. And I believe that rubbed Gaffney and Sool the wrong way.

Not sure what to make of the CFJ news today. But I’m getting a bit tired of the Hurley-isms, much like the no escalators, ten toes Ollie’isms turned quickly into stomach-churning diarrhea of the mouth. I do believe something smells a bit off in the cow tipping capital of Connecticut. Nevertheless, I think we end up with a much more productive roster this fall - which also means Hurley is almost out of excuses.

Reaction Score
I’m 100% with @bendm on this. Here’s what seems to be clear to me: Hurley has a culture that revolves around hard work, dedication and commitment. That goes for his players and his staff. BUT he clearly doesn’t apply that culture all the time. I believe that he had his guys - Whaley, Polley, Cole, Martin, Sanogo, AJax. And everyone else on the roster was on the outside of Hurley World looking in. And I believe that rubbed Gaffney and Sool the wrong way.

Granted, this is totally your baseless armchair psychoanalysis but your conclusion is that Gaffney didn't get enough of an opportunity to succeed here? Really? It "rubbed him the wrong way" that he was "outside of Hurley world looking in"? If anything Hurley was overly loyal to Gaffney to the detriment of the team. That is, frankly, an absurd conclusion based on the available evidence.

And I'm legitimately curious where you get the idea that he doesn't "apply" the culture of "hard work, dedication and commitment" to Jackson and Sanogo, two guys whose work ethics are pretty well-regarded. Is this based on anything or are you just typing stuff to say it? Could it be that they were just better than Gaffney and Diggins?

Reaction Score
Granted, this is totally your baseless armchair psychoanalysis but your conclusion is that Gaffney didn't get enough of an opportunity to succeed here? Really? It "rubbed him the wrong way" that he was "outside of Hurley world looking in"? If anything Hurley was overly loyal to Gaffney to the detriment of the team. That is, frankly, an absurd conclusion based on the available evidence.

And I'm legitimately curious where you get the idea that he doesn't "apply" the culture of "hard work, dedication and commitment" to Jackson and Sanogo, two guys whose work ethics are pretty well-regarded. Is this based on anything or are you just typing stuff to say it? Could it be that they were just better than Gaffney and Diggins?
Your takes are just ridiculous. But you just keep doing you. If you don’t think Floyd transferring is troublesome, YOU are the one with an issue. There is objectively NO way to put a positive spin on it.

Everyone has attacked me on my take, but NOT ONE person has offered up a positive spin on this development. Why? Because there isn’t one.

Reaction Score
Imagine this. Youre a new on campus guy. You don’t play all year and after a year of practice and coaching, your staff is hitting the transfer portal to look for someone to play over you instead of investing, trusting, and coaching you to be that guy.

Marcus, AJ, Kemba, and Bazz all were leading the team by their sophomore years and none of those years were pretty. But it made for great junior and senior years. It doesn’t always have to be win now if you’re actually building a culture and program. It should’ve been that way for Gaffney too his sophomore year but I digress…

Hurley needs to do a better job of trusting and investing in his young players. Point blank. This isn’t college football.
This isn’t a fair comparison. AJ averaged like 9/3/3 his first year here. Kemba the same. Marcus played limited minutes freshman year but averaged like 4 assists plus. Bazz played good minutes as a fresh on a young team.

Gaffney was a fringe top 100 kid & we’re comparing him to 3 top 50 kids and a guy who was like 75ish after reclass. All those guys had considerably better freshmen years than Gaffney. Additionally, all those guys got NBA minutes. Talent wise it’s completely unfair to bring up Gaff in convo with those names.

This whole “recruited over vs supporting players” thing is so wild too. All schools recruit good players. Fight for your spot or leave. Dont kill the staff though for kids not wanting to compete.

Lastly, to all the “DH did Jalen dirty by going to RJ during Jalens Sophmore year” everyone realizes they both were on the team the same amount of time right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom