Nice draw for us, height wise. | The Boneyard

Nice draw for us, height wise.

Reaction Score
We all know that our beloved Huskies main vulnerability is lack of height The selection committee did us a solid by keeping all the best bigs (and biggest bigs) our of our region. Brink, Cardoso, Reese, Betts, Ayoka Lee, Kitley (though now that VT got a 4 seed, they announced she is out for the season). Our 2 seed is Ohio State... not a big team, and this year I believe we have the guards to be able to handle their press. The 1 seed, USC, has some size (6'4, 6'2, 6'2) they don't have that overwhelming post player. With Ju Ju, they can be a handful, but I think it would be a better matchup than two of the other 1 seeds (I think Texas would be our best matchup.
What say you, Boneyarders?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree with the details in your post, but I really think you overestimate the importance of height. Lauren Betts didn't beat UConn in the November game against UCLA -- she only had about 13 points, as I recall. It was UCLA's guards and their 3-point shooting that were decisive.

You can make the argument that UConn devoted so many defensive resources to covering Betts that they were unable to defend the 3-point line, and that argument has some merit.

But the real vulnerability that UConn has shown this year is to fast guards, not to hulking players in the paint. The Notre Dame game is the best, but not the only, example of that. Pao Pao of South Carolina had a big game against UConn when Cardoso wasn't even playing.

If UConn can hold star guards, including JuJu, to their season average, it should be successful -- but it has not yet shown that it can do that.

Reaction Score
I agree with the details in your post, but I really think you overestimate the importance of height. Lauren Betts didn't beat UConn in the November game against UCLA -- she only had about 13 points, as I recall. It was UCLA's guards and their 3-point shooting that were decisive.

You can make the argument that UConn devoted so many defensive resources to covering Betts that they were unable to defend the 3-point line, and that argument has some merit.

But the real vulnerability that UConn has shown this year is to fast guards, not to hulking players in the paint. The Notre Dame game is the best, but not the only, example of that. Pao Pao of South Carolina had a big game against UConn when Cardoso wasn't even playing.

If UConn can hold star guards, including JuJu, to their season average, it should be successful -- but it has not yet shown that it can do that.
UConn early on was putting Nika on fast small guards and that is an assignment that KK must take over if they are going to beat those teams. What beats UConn as far as height goes is the offense sends their post to the top of the circle and AE follows her. Then the guard comes off the pick and beats the defense to the bucket where UConn has zero size to slide over and make a stop.

Size matters in a couple areas all the time but scoring isn't one of them. To me the challenge for UConn will be keeping bigger teams off the offensive boards and defending the high pick by their post. If they control one of those they have a good chance to win. Box and 1 against a couple teams really stops the penetration layups.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn's defense places opponents under duress. I would guess their bigs dont run the floor well because if they did at 6'6 and 6'5 they would be on a top tier team. The pressure we put on teams will eat them up. Their bigs dont average high numbers in the scoring dept and we have two 6'3 players who are big and can establish position. When its al said and done. We've got Paige and no other team has a Paige. We will control the tempo with our 4 guards. I expect Jackson State to be overhelmed between the crowd our defense and our 2 AA's

Reaction Score
The team we face Saturday starts a 6’6” player and brings a 6’5” player off the bench. Plus we struggle with fast guards that can you breka you down off the dribble with our brake is full of.
their post is one of the top shot blockers in the country but I expect Aaliyah will show her some things she hasn't seen too often.......still may not be that easy a game up front.......

Reaction Score
We have quality and if need, quantity is even better.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The team we face Saturday starts a 6’6” player and brings a 6’5” player off the bench. Plus we struggle with fast guards that can you breka you down off the dribble with our brake is full of.

Height is only one aspect of the game. Check their stats for the season. Not impressed.

Reaction Score

The gameplan in that UCLA game was to slow down Betts and crowd her. UCLA's guard beat UConn because that's what Geno was giving up to swarm Betts. He wasn't banking on them shooting so well.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what time the Monday game at Storrs is?

Reaction Score

Good points and well supported. In the games with great guard action, we need to throw a zone up on occasion especially with Ice in the lineup. Ice is moving much better and has improved her switching down low, that will help. The play of Q on defense has also improved so or coaches can throw in a bigger guard at times. The games we lost to quick guards will be more competitive now. Our team is more mature.

Reaction Score
The boneyard is obsessed with height. But as noted above, guards have been our undoing this year, and in many past years. We have five bad losses this year, all with fast guards. And those losses to ND back in the day, guards. I really think our defense against quick guards is not very good. They continually get by us.

Reaction Score
UConn has several golden years with DT, Maya and Steward. Except Steward (6'4") both DT and Maya are not tall players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom