Ngongba Back in play? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ngongba Back in play?

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I think Hurley was pretty disgusted with how things went down with him. I would imagine he's moved on.
Yeah, but I still think now that he’s seen that Tang is just another mid coach, UConn would be a blessing for him if he was on the outs there.

Reaction Score
I get why, these kids were basketball fans when K was still there. What I won’t get is if we truly suffer in recruiting after a natty and dominant season where every sports writer gushes about the beautiful basketball we play and how great a coach Hurley is. If that happens, what does it mean? Just that most of the kids out there don’t actually want to work hard and achieve, they just want to hang out and make the lottery?
Reminds me of college football players who won’t play in bowl games. Kids with talent don’t want to work hard and don’t really care about the team. Just want to stay safe and wait for the draft. If I was a GM I wouldn’t draft such a player.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I get why, these kids were basketball fans when K was still there. What I won’t get is if we truly suffer in recruiting after a natty and dominant season where every sports writer gushes about the beautiful basketball we play and how great a coach Hurley is. If that happens, what does it mean? Just that most of the kids out there don’t actually want to work hard and achieve, they just want to hang out and make the lottery?
This makes it sound like the point of winning games is to get recruits. It's not. The team with the best class is rarely the champion. We have a track record of winning with all different kinds of guys. No reason that is changing.

Reaction Score
I really disagree with the way scheyer is going about recruiting. With their nil why in the world would you want to load up on freshman. They could get the top transfer at every position if they wanted.
Not only that, but if you don't show confidence and respect for the players you worked so hard to recruit, you wind up with malcontents and selfish play.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The way people are writing about this it's like Duke has already wrapped up next year's title. I don't doubt these guys are good, but given the way college basketball has always gone, that's just not the way it works

Reaction Score
Did these kids sign letters of intent? Does that even matter these days? Honest question.
Doesn't matter. Kids still sign a LOI but any coach who doesn't let a kid out if they want to leave will get publicly shamed until they relent and give in. And if they don't the kid just transfers and plays immediately anyway

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Big mistake. In the era of quasi free agency building primarily through freshman recruits has not been as fruitful for the big time programs as building through priority transfers. They’re going to end up not meeting expectations, the better players will leave for the league and the rest will transfer.
Scheyer has actually said he knows they can't win with these all freshmen classes. So he's been playing sophomores and trying to recruit guys who aren't one and dones. Like Pat actually, doesn't really have an NBA game. They start one freshman, same as UConn.

Question will be whether guys like TJ Power head to the portal (probably yes).

Reaction Score
Scheyer has actually said he knows they can't win with these all freshmen classes. So he's been playing sophomores and trying to recruit guys who aren't one and dones. Like Pat actually, doesn't really have an NBA game. They start one freshman, same as UConn.

Question will be whether guys like TJ Power head to the portal (probably yes).
Umm, he just recruited a class of one and dones.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Umm, he just recruited a class of one and dones.
Three of them now, maybe. Before that, 2 were possibly one and done (Evans is iffy). Kneuppel, Ngongba and Harris aren't likely one and done. Nor Stewart or Foster this year. Power was #17 but barely plays so he's not going NBA this year.

McCain is the only one and done on this year's team.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
With Duke getting a commit from Maluach, any chance big Pat decides he doesn’t wanna sit? Foot injury aside I’d love to get him back in the fold.
Come On What GIF

Reaction Score
Of course DH will go after him if he's available again. You cant coach size. He'll be 1 of the best big men next year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Cliff Omoruyi from Rutgers from portal?
This would be my priority one if he hits the portal. But he loves Rutgers so much, I imagine he’ll play out his career there.

Reaction Score
I really disagree with the way scheyer is going about recruiting. With their nil why in the world would you want to load up on freshman. They could get the top transfer at every position if they wanted.
Because they are selling a brand. Like Duke is the stopover where they teach you how to become an nba star.

All it is is a sports camps for a couple of months, but high school kids are all about the - look at me. I am the next Zion, Tatum.

Reaction Score
Maluach turns 18 in September. Flagg turns 18 in December. Consider me very skeptical that two of the youngest players in the class are going to form a dominant front court next season. They are both obviously great prospects.

Give me a 4th or 5th year transfer center instead, chip on the shoulder who is focused on winning immediately and capable of playing drop coverage/dominating the paint for 20-25 minutes a game to complement Samson's 15-20 minute role. Look how many 5 star freshman are sitting on the bench around the country while Josh Oduro is having a really nice season.
Flagg is so damn good he might carry them.

Reaction Score
I suspect Sheyer feels its easier to mold 6 impressionable freshmen than 6 experienced transfers. But he definitely needs to find a happy medium, and the likes of Ryan Young ain't cutting it. UNC has adapted quicker with guys like Ingraham and Ryan. Cal has been trying with Reeves and Mitchell, but they're still not all meshing like we are.

Note, these teams are still good, especially late season, but they haven't lived up to their preseason hype.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom