Next years team could be better... | The Boneyard

Next years team could be better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. 4 back will be older and better.
2. If Butler gives anything... Eliminates weakness in the paint
3. Stewie will return to her original position of 3 or 4 instead of 5 (versatility)
4. Butler, Stewie, Tuck, Collier, Boykin, Gabby, KLS, have incredible length. (Defense will be a nightmare) not to mention Mo and Kia on defense.
5. Mo-Jeff has arrived!!!
6. Depth will be much much better with freshmen (watch Collier!!!)
7. Will miss KML, but overall team should be better

Reaction Score
If Butler becomes a regular, the wear and tear on Stewie will be far less. It will be harder for teams to pound on her the way they did this year.

Reaction Score
If Butler can give them quality minutes the defense, and rebounding will be better, her size should help Stewie as Stef did in defending the paint. Notre Dame stayed in the game with all the offensive rebounds they got.

Reaction Score
Weakness in the paint? Wasn't UConn the #1 shot blocking team, with most of those shot blocks coming in the paint? On the offensive side, Tuck has been pretty damn steady year long finishing around the basket. I don't think it was a weakness and certainly we played bigger teams than us and had no problem with them.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree. Even in the NC game, Kiah only played 10 minutes, and she was most effective, it seemed, against "bigger" teams, but maybe not as "needed" as I thought. Having said that, replacing Kiah and KML - seniors - is no small task. KML was an underrated ball handler IMHO - it's one of the things that constantly surprised me when I'd see her handle the ball with so much control and skill. And her shooting was off the charts- I don't think Samuelson is as good a shooter...

I expect Boykin to get Chong-like minutes her first year. No slight against her, but as a freshman with Stewie, Butler, Williams and Collier likely ahead of her on the depth chart at the 4-5'ish spots, I think it will take her some time to earn some serious minutes.

I actually think Collier might be the most ready to make an impact from day 1 and would expect her PT would be the highest of the 4 newbies, even Butler. I may be wrong about Butler, but playing up an age level for Team USA and the style of her game (and her motor and work ethic) makes me think she will be more ready to impact the team. But who knows - it's all just guesses at this point!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Weakness in the paint? Wasn't UConn the #1 shot blocking team, with most of those shot blocks coming in the paint? On the offensive side, Tuck has been pretty damn steady year long finishing around the basket. I don't think it was a weakness and certainly we played bigger teams than us and had no problem with them.
I think "weakness in the paint" refers to the fact that Stokes is leaving and next year we'd only have Stewie and Tuck (and Williams)...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Frankly, I expect Butler to have starter minutes before too deep into the season, though if the newbies surprise it could be a very fluid roster for a fair amount of next season and influenced by the characteristics of the opponent (big, small, medium considerations).

Reaction Score
I agree. Even in the NC game, Kiah only played 10 minutes, and she was most effective, it seemed, against "bigger" teams, but maybe not as "needed" as I thought. Having said that, replacing Kiah and KML - seniors - is no small task. KML was an underrated ball handler IMHO - it's one of the things that constantly surprised me when I'd see her handle the ball with so much control and skill. And her shooting was off the charts- I don't think Samuelson is as good a shooter...

I expect Boykin to get Chong-like minutes her first year. No slight against her, but as a freshman with Stewie, Butler, Williams and Collier likely ahead of her on the depth chart at the 4-5'ish spots, I think it will take her some time to earn some serious minutes.

I actually think Collier might be the most ready to make an impact from day 1 and would expect her PT would be the highest of the 4 newbies, even Butler. I may be wrong about Butler, but playing up an age level for Team USA and the style of her game (and her motor and work ethic) makes me think she will be more ready to impact the team. But who knows - it's all just guesses at this point!!

I am always amazed how some BYers believe an incoming freshman will start over a sophomore who has one year of college experience , was selected DFOY in the Big East, and has another year of practise at UCONN. Plus Butler can play the 5 and allow Stewart to move back to the 4 where she will have the freedom of movement she had last year.

Reaction Score
If Butler can be effective to defend in the paint, Stewie can move out to block on the perimeter and create even more fast breaks.

Reaction Score
I agree with the op. I think in the long run they will be better. They will miss KML's offense and Stokes defensive presence at first but the team will adjust. I think Butler starts from the get go but will take time to be game ready but as others have said it will allow Stewart more freedom. Nurse will be more involved in the offense and a double double machine (Williams) off the bench.

I'm reading comments on other forums and even here that next year will be the end of UConn's run. DT had it right I think.....if you were gonna beat a UConn team with Breanna Stewart on it this was the season to do it.

Reaction Score
Butler played very well as a Freshman but that was at Georgetown. Geno has much higher expectations for his players. I'm sure she will struggle at the beginning but should improve by the end of the year. If she plays like the second coming of Stef Dolson, it will be fun to watch all of the other coaches reactions and frustrations. Morgan learned a lesson last night and should be better able to handle the Stewie treatment better. Moriah will repeat as Lieberman winner and Stewie could be player of the year again. Kia is the second coming of Bria Hartley. we'll see how the Freshman do but Geno has a knack for getting freshmen who are ready to play.

Reaction Score

It will be much harder to replace KML than people think by looking at the point production. She is such a great shooter that the defense always has to be stretched out to account for her, even if she is not shooting or making shots, and that leaves a lot of room for other people to maneuver. I also don't think that KLS is as good of a shooter based on what little I have seen of her play. While they made a lot of 3's in high school, Sanya and Courtney are no where the kind of 3-pt shooter that KML is.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
After the last three-peat, the dropoff was inevitable. On paper, the 2004-05 team looked pretty damn good, but the bottom line is that UConn WBB was "We had Diana, and now we don't".

The nice change of pace is that there is no sign of a dropoff after this season. There will definitely be a continuity of talent to enjoy, as well as the influx. When November hits this year, strap yourselves in for another championship-season.

Of course, a dropoff after the graduations of Stewie and Mo is inevitable. Sure hope Tuck gives us one more year after that...

Reaction Score
If Butler can give them quality minutes the defense, and rebounding will be better, her size should help Stewie as Stef did in defending the paint. Notre Dame stayed in the game with all the offensive rebounds they got.
Interesting that you bring up the rebounding issue. We lost the battle of the boards to ND ( also USC) so if there was one very, very small issue with this team it was probably the starting 5's rebounding performance. Having said that, this year we outrebounded our opponents by 12.2 rpg vs last years team's advantage of 9,4. But looking under the covers at the starters vs bench tells an interesting story. This year our starters averaged .180 rebounds per minute while the bench hauled in an astounding .296 rpm's( the Kiah and Gabby effect).. Last years starters took down .194 rpm's(Dolson effect) and the bench got .266(the Kiah effect). Whether Butler or Gabby starts next year we can expect to see a better rebounding team as KML averaged around 4 rebounds per game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It will be much harder to replace KML than people think by looking at the point production. She is such a great shooter that the defense always has to be stretched out to account for her, even if she is not shooting or making shots, and that leaves a lot of room for other people to maneuver. I also don't think that KLS is as good of a shooter based on what little I have seen of her play. While they made a lot of 3's in high school, Sanya and Courtney are no where the kind of 3-pt shooter that KML is.

Kaleena made 116 threes as a Mater Dei senior and KLS made 115. Maybe KLM shot a better % in HS than Lou's 41%, I don't know. I do know that KLS will be an outstanding 3-point shooter at UConn.

Reaction Score
Agreed that they could be great. But I wouldn't be stunned if it takes them time to figure themselves out next year, just like it did this year. They have their experienced core of upperclassmen, but they'll also be trying to integrate their freshmen and transfer. It may take time to get that all rolling smoothly.

There will probably be some difficult games at the beginning of the season, and it does at least seem possible that they will lose one.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am always amazed how some BYers believe an incoming freshman will start over a sophomore who has one year of college experience , was selected DFOY in the Big East, and has another year of practise at UCONN. Plus Butler can play the 5 and allow Stewart to move back to the 4 where she will have the freedom of movement she had last year.
Well let's rewind, shall we? Chong - best player in preseason per Geno, and 2 games into the season, is benched in favor of Nurse. Who was a freshman. But hey, let's not let recent historical facts get in the way of a good rant, right?!! ;)

I would go so far as to say that Collier's experience playing for team USA (and she played up a level with the 18 year olds), and had stats every bit as good as A'ja Wilson and Breanna Turner would pretty much put her at least on par with the experience Butler had playing for Georgetown last season, but hey, what do I know.

BTW in 5 games for Team USA, Collier was 2nd in scoring, 1st in rebounds, 1st in 3 point %, 1st in minutes played, and 3rd on the team in assists. I actually hope it's Butler who starts since it would let Stewie stop banging around in the post to start the games, and let big body Butler take on that task, but as I said, it's not even summer yet, and it's all speculation at this point.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
There is a good chance we will be better next year- very scary thought. Unlimited options next year, even if Butler plays Kiah Stokes like minutes. We are going to be scary athletic and fast fast - especially when Butler is not on the floor- wow!

Reaction Score
There is a good chance we will be better next year- very scary thought. Unlimited options next year, even if Butler plays Kiah Stokes like minutes. We are going to be scary athletic and fast fast - especially when Butler is not on the floor- wow!

The few times I saw Butler play two things stood out. She moved well on defense and blocked shots. She also ran the floor (much like Dolson). She may not be fast but I don't think she will slow down the offense.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
The few times I saw Butler play two things stood out. She moved well on defense and blocked shots. She also ran the floor (much like Dolson). She may not be fast but I don't think she will slow down the offense.
JC- I went to the open practice this yr. My intent was to think about just how fast we will be with Gabby, Collier or KLS, or 3 guards w Soniya, without a prototypical center. She appeared very athletic and looks lean and mean. But think of the options and speed without KML or a Stef or Butler when we want to fly! And I'm not anti any of them.

Reaction Score
1. 4 back will be older and better.
2. If Butler gives anything... Eliminates weakness in the paint
3. Stewie will return to her original position of 3 or 4 instead of 5 (versatility)
4. Butler, Stewie, Tuck, Collier, Boykin, Gabby, KLS, have incredible length. (Defense will be a nightmare) not to mention Mo and Kia on defense.
5. Mo-Jeff has arrived!!!
6. Depth will be much much better with freshmen (watch Collier!!!)
7. Will miss KML, but overall team should be better
Agree with your premise for next year, just had to say I get a chuckle out of #3. I realize the "5" is the center but when it comes to Stewie it gives the term a new meaning. At any given time you can look up and see her doing something or temporarily playing any of the five positions on the floor. Her versatility is why she gets and deserves all the hardware she gets.:)

I think "weakness in the paint" refers to the fact that Stokes is leaving and next year we'd only have Stewie and Tuck (and Williams)...
Come on Eric it is unlike you to dismiss someone like Butler. She has been under the thumb of Geno, the staff and the team for a year now. You know as well as anyone if she has made it this far sitting out she knows there is a good amount of playing time coming up. ;) By the way, I am sure you will never get a dislike with your new avatar ! :D

Reaction Score
Agree with Woof. Jefferson and Nurse have both said Butler was good when she got here and made big improvements in her strength, endurance, and play during a year of UConn practices. And she wasn't freshman of the year in Georgetown; she was freshman of the year in the Big East. Exciting to anticipate what she'll bring in 2015-2016.

Reaction Score
Agree with Woof. Jefferson and Nurse have both said Butler was good when she got here and made big improvements in her strength, endurance, and play during a year of UConn practices. And she wasn't freshman of the year in Georgetown; she was freshman of the year in the Big East. Exciting to anticipate what she'll bring in 2015-2016.

Some BYers always like the new girl in the class. Butler will be a very good 5 next year. As Geno said, she is a game changer. And before a few of you give me a quote about what he said about Chong's preseason, Bruno from DePaul also raved about Butler.

Reaction Score
I believe Collier is going to be a Tuck like player. From what I saw she seems to go right to the basket when she gets the ball. Not a lot of thinking or dribbling.... just right to the hoop. I like that about a player. KLS will get time and cause fits for the opponents if she can shoot anything close to KML numbers. Butler has been with Geno a year and that has to account for a lot. If she isn't the starting center on opening day I'll be surprised. Boykin will probably be fighting for time on a very talented bench. Stewie, Butler, Tuck, Moriah, Kia with a bench of Collier, Boykin, Chong, Williams, Ekmark, Lawler and Pulido. I agree that next year's team will be better but only because of the depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom