Next year... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next year...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I like Christyn Williams a lot but she's not a Maya Moore type prospect. Moore was the consensus best player in her class and in really any class around hers for years. Williams is currently ranked #1, #2, #3, and #4 by the major recruiting outlets. She's a very good prospect but it's a bit premature to think she's likely to set the world on fire as a freshmen.

Nelson-Ododa has a huge upside but just came back from a major operation and a missed year of basketball.

UConn has to hope that Walker and Coombs both develop into good or better players. Wouldn't hurt if Camara could be a useful contributor in something other than blowout time too.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Walker won't be useless but she has a bigger leap to make than previous #1 recruits UConn has had.

Given that same history, Williams will probably average double digits in ppg.

Charles and Dolson averaged 12 and 10 ppg their freshmen seasons, respectively. Somewhere around there seems reasonable for Ono assuming she gets enough minutes behind Stevens.

I don't know about Coombs. Or Gordon.

Reaction Score
KLS, Dangerfield, Collier, Stevens, Coombs. If Walker or Williams starts Coombs comes off the bench. Any way you look at it it's a deeper and more dependable bench than this year was.

That's a gigantic IF. Coombs as a starter would be quite a stretch, Regardless, it's doubtful she would jump over Walker. That leaves the bench about the same as it was this year unless Williams and Ono adapt much better than the corp of frosh did this year. Either way it would appear that we will be considerably less talented defensively.

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Lauren Cox was really bad at times as a freshman and she was the number one player in her class. She frustrated her coach many times. This season, she was a completely different player and very valuable to her team. Walker could very well make that kind of improvement.

Reaction Score
I like Christyn Williams a lot but she's not a Maya Moore type prospect. Moore was the consensus best player in her class and in really any class around hers for years. Williams is currently ranked #1, #2, #3, and #4 by the major recruiting outlets. She's a very good prospect but it's a bit premature to think she's likely to set the world on fire as a freshmen.

Nelson-Ododa has a huge upside but just came back from a major operation and a missed year of basketball.

UConn has to hope that Walker and Coombs both develop into good or better players. Wouldn't hurt if Camara could be a useful contributor in something other than blowout time too.
I'm saying what I said about Williams not because of what I read but because of watching her play. Have you seen her play? She's phenomenal, she plays beyond her years. Despite her recent operation, Ono really impressed me, saw her for the first time in the MD All Star game.

Reaction Score
That's a gigantic IF. Coombs as a starter would be quite a stretch, Regardless, it's doubtful she would jump over Walker. That leaves the bench about the same as it was this year unless Williams and Ono adapt much better than the corp of frosh did this year. Either way it would appear that we will be considerably less talented defensively.
What's wrong with Combs? Why "that's quite a stretch"? Good defense can be taught, Nurse is a good example of that.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I wouldn't call Nurse a star... maybe on defense but that's it. Steady and experienced yes, but she was never a great shooter, missed way more than she made, and I wish I had a dollar for every chippie she missed during her career. Who said Meghan Walker would be the next Maya??? Williams is that good and will elevate the team next year, as will Ono. As for a deeper bench, if Stevens stays, then we have Williams, Walker, and Ono all on the bench which is a luxury we didn't have this year.

Is it really necessary to slam one of our players in order to extoll another?

Reaction Score
Is it really necessary to slam one of our players in order to extoll another?
Please explain to me how giving an honest evaluation of a players skills is a "slam"?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm saying what I said about Williams not because of what I read but because of watching her play. Have you seen her play? She's phenomenal, she plays beyond her years. Despite her recent operation, Ono really impressed me, saw her for the first time in the MD All Star game.

I've seen Williams, but that was against below average competition in Arkansas and in an all-star game. Again, I like her skill set a lot, and by all accounts she's a terrific competitor. I have high hopes for her but am cautious about an immediate impact.

Reaction Score
I've seen Williams, but that was against below average competition in Arkansas and in an all-star game. Again, I like her skill set a lot, and by all accounts she's a terrific competitor. I have high hopes for her but am cautious about an immediate impact.
I know it was vs other HS players, But MVP in McDonalds All Star game speaks volumes. And on top of that she had the self confidence to "call it"... although I am not normally a "fan" of that much confidence, it tells me a lot about CW and what she will bring to UConn. I believe she will be a factor on the team next year, much like Kia and Lou became starters as freshmen. Timing will be up to Geno... and of course to CW's effort and learning speed.

Reaction Score
Maybe not the first few games, Lol, but by mid season she will be an impact player. Same for Ono but may not see as much PT with all the height on the floor already. I wonder if Geno might experiment a little and try out KLS at the point when CD sits? KLS with her height seeing the floor and her passing ability could pick out Williams and Ono either down low or beyond the arc. That's one way to get freshman involved is with easy buckets or wide open shots. That's what got Maya going in her freshman year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I know it was vs other HS players, But MVP in McDonalds All Star game speaks volumes. And on top of that she had the self confidence to "call it"... although I am not normally a "fan" of that much confidence, it tells me a lot about CW and what she will bring to UConn. I believe she will be a factor on the team next year, much like Kia and Lou became starters as freshmen. Timing will be up to Geno... and of course to CW's effort and learning speed.

Napheesa Collier could've been named the MVP of the McDonald's game and was named the MVP of the Jordan Brand Classic. She was a nice, complimentary bench player as a freshmen. On the other hand, KLS couldn't throw it in the ocean in the McAA game.

I hope Williams is awesome next year. I just don't have confidence in it.

Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier could've been named the MVP of the McDonald's game and was named the MVP of the Jordan Brand Classic. She was a nice, complimentary bench player as a freshmen. On the other hand, KLS couldn't throw it in the ocean in the McAA game.

I hope Williams is awesome next year. I just don't have confidence in it.
Trying lighten the mood on the BY...if just a little. Lots of time to see what happens. Positive Vibes.

Reaction Score
She was uncredited for several assists in the MD All Star game, that bullet one armed rifle pass almost the length of the floor to a streaking teammate for a layup was vintage Taurasi.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Trying lighten the mood on the BY...if just a little. Lots of time to see what happens. Positive Vibes.

We certainly need some of those. Gonna throw up after watching this ugly display from ND and MSU. I felt so good about this year and next just a year ago. Friday popped my balloon.

Reaction Score
Maybe not the first few games, Lol, but by mid season she will be an impact player. Same for Ono but may not see as much PT with all the height on the floor already. I wonder if Geno might experiment a little and try out KLS at the point when CD sits? KLS with her height seeing the floor and her passing ability could pick out Williams and Ono either down low or beyond the arc. That's one way to get freshman involved is with easy buckets or wide open shots. That's what got Maya going in her freshman year.

Having Lou at the point on occasion makes a lot of sense (and is something I too have thought about) for next year. She needs to take more control of the offense, be more aggressive, and a bit less unselfish next year.

Reaction Score
Next year we will struggle. [mod edit] I thi k we make the sweet 16 next year at best.

Reaction Score
This board has gone off the rails.
Kia Nurse was a great UCONN player....
I thought she was just named the best defensive player of the year.
She was always given the job of guarding the other teams best player, and did that superbly.
In a game that she was off shooting, she had the "stones" to sink a three to cut the lead to 2 and then stole the ball to tie the game.
Her poise and and game will be missed.

Reaction Score
As I'm now officially over the loss, I'm already anxious, excited, and looking forward to what next season will bring. Lots of variables that I ponder about:

Will we be a more physical team?
Will we better defend opponents off the dribble?
Will we attempt to be more aggressive slashing through the lane and draw fouls?
Can Dangerfield get fully healthy and be more effective on defense?
Will Walker have a breakthrough sophomore year?
Free throws?
Can Geno and staff put together in real confidence a 7-8 player rotation?
Can CW be that instant impact player since Maya?

Other than that, when the official schedule is released, I will have the ND game at Purcell and Baylor (with Brown and its #1 recruiting class) in Waco circled.

Reaction Score
Next year we will struggle. I thi k we make the sweet 16 next year at best.
Such smug certainty.
Why bother watching then?
And your credentials are...?
You know what a group of athletes in the best women’s basketball program are going to accomplish right now over the next 7 months- wow.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Having Lou at the point on occasion makes a lot of sense (and is something I too have thought about) for next year. She needs to take more control of the offense, be more aggressive, and a bit less unselfish next year.

You want her at the point AND to be more selfish? :)

Reaction Score
Are you out of your mind? Are you saying that Williams, Ono, Coombs, and Walker are all going to be useless as subs??? They didn't get to be very highly ranked All-Americans in a "crap shoot" as you call it, they are all highly skilled players. Your pessimistic viewpoint is based on what exactly?

the snarky answer is ......based on last year's highly skilled recruits barely playing..........luckily Geno is going to have to play somebody off of that bench like it or not and Williams should gain his trust early..........

Reaction Score
I think the OP is out of his/her mind. Especially with Stevens gone, it promises to be a good year by the standards of most teams and a real challenge by UConn's standards. I believe freshmen are god when they show they are. Sometimes they are, and sometimes they are not. I sure do hope Megan is ready for next year, but she really did not show much with consistency during this year. And the freshmen will be freshmen, as good as they may become over time.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
This player is available. She seems to be good at getting rebounds too. She had 26 points against ND and 14 rebounds. She also had 17 rebounds vs Miss State and 16 vs So Carolina in games this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom