Next time someone kvetches about officiating in wbb being | The Boneyard

Next time someone kvetches about officiating in wbb being

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've seen a number of women's games where you could find five incorrect calls in many 13-second intervals. The worst NBA refs are 1000x better than the best women's college refs.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I've seen a number of women's games where you could find five incorrect calls in many 13-second intervals. The worst NBA refs are 1000x better than the best women's college refs.
That is all nonsense.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah officiating. The easiest job in sports. Let's just go with own calls.

Reaction Score
Yeah officiating. The easiest job in sports. Let's just go with own calls.
Actually to be politically Correct---all calls in a Woman's game should be done by voting. Each person in the stands is given an electronic devise and when a whistle is blown they are given 4 options
1. No Foul 2. Technical foul 3. shooting foul 4 non shooting foul and players will not be assessed a foul i.e. unlimited fouls. 18 technical fouls over the year will bring a reprimand, like --bad girl..
Only home town fans can vote... We do not want to damage fragile egos do we???

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Actually to be politically Correct---all calls in a Woman's game should be done by voting. Each person in the stands is given an electronic devise and when a whistle is blown they are given 4 options
1. No Foul 2. Technical foul 3. shooting foul 4 non shooting foul and players will not be assessed a foul i.e. unlimited fouls. 18 technical fouls over the year will bring a reprimand, like --bad girl..
Only home town fans can vote... We do not want to damage fragile egos do we???
However, 5. Flagrant foul one. 6. Flagrant foul 2. 7. Hot dog. 8. Beer. 9. Parking validation 10. Dancing girls/boys

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That is all nonsense.

Maybe not a 1000x, but definitely at least 20x. It's not even close. One of the problems with being an NBA Official is that the game is so, so, so much harder to officiate than Men's College Basketball, never mind Women's. It's so much faster; the players are so much stronger; the level of fitness required by the officials is higher; dealing with the players, the coaches, the fans, and the overall national scrutiny is much more difficult. It's a whole nother world.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Maybe not a 1000x, but definitely at least 20x. It's not even close. One of the problems with being an NBA Official is that the game is so, so, so much harder to officiate than Men's College Basketball, never mind Women's. It's so much faster; the players are so much stronger; the level of fitness required by the officials is higher; dealing with the players, the coaches, the fans, and the overall national scrutiny is much more difficult. It's a whole nother world.
While I get the difficulties of the NBA, I'm not sure that they are necessarily at a much higher level of fitness. They set up well and often trail the play. They do have a much more stressful job in many ways than a college ref.

But - I was watching a bit of a Cav's playoff game while having a late bite at a local Applebees with my wife Monday. I saw some of the calls and couldn't (for the life of me) see the foul, or in other cases, figure out why there wasn't one. NBA ref's are, I think, somewhat influenced by home crowds and star power.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can someone please list the symptoms of kvetches or is it kvetching? I want to make sure I'm not coming down with something. :eek:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
While I get the difficulties of the NBA, I'm not sure that they are necessarily at a much higher level of fitness. They set up well and often trail the play. They do have a much more stressful job in many ways than a college ref.

But - I was watching a bit of a Cav's playoff game while having a late bite at a local Applebees with my wife Monday. I saw some of the calls and couldn't (for the life of me) see the foul, or in other cases, figure out why there wasn't one. NBA ref's are, I think, somewhat influenced by home crowds and star power.

There's no doubt they are influenced by the home crowd. Happens in all team sports. And as the size, energy and importance of the crowd increases, so does their influence.

If you are watching an NBA game live, you can see the fitness difference. A number of factors play in there: the shout clock is shorter, the game is longer, the players faster so even trailing the play expends more energy. Number of possessions in an avg NBA game is is almost 100. For comparison, the possessions in a MCBB is approximately 70. Can't find the WEBB stats for possessions, but I'm willing to bet it's a fair bit lower than the men. More possessions equals more running.

Live is also where you notice how difficult it is to see from a refs perspective. Looks easy on TV, but damn is it tough to officiate on the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom