Next Task for WM - beef up the football schedule | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Next Task for WM - beef up the football schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
By 'Beef Up,' I also meant - fill the holes. Our OOC schedules for 2014 and 2015 look good. Its our 2016+ OOC scheduling that is skinny compared with most P5+ programs as we have far more holes on the schedule than others.

While I fully appreciate the concept of an easy schedule = greater chance of bowl eligibility and more fans in the seats because of the winning, I'm also of the opinion that in order to wake this fan base and garner more attention by the P5 we need to edge a little bolder than we have in the past with strength of schedule. I'm not for going bonkers, but I would love to pencil in one "aspirational" series with a T20 program like we had with Michigan for a far outer date. Its nice to have something like that on the long run calendar, something to aim for and wait for.

That all said, I'm far more worried the reason we haven't heard of a new P5+ football series announcement over the past 18 months is because the conspiracy is in place by the P5 to wind down games with the AAC/MWC/MAAC/etc. Warde has managed to schedule BYU and Boise State, which will be terrific fun, but where's the next ACC/B1G/SEC/B12 series? The current slate against Virginia and Tennessee was scheduled long ago.

Reaction Score
That's the thing that bothers me too. Tenn and Virginia were on the schedule before the Big East completely imploded. Since then not a whiff of a game with the ACC, SEC or B1G. Is it that other former Big East teams just need a break from each other after playing year after year or is there something more sinister going on?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
That's the thing that bothers me too. Tenn and Virginia were on the schedule before the Big East completely imploded. Since then not a whiff of a game with the ACC, SEC or B1G. Is it that other former Big East teams just need a break from each other after playing year after year or is there something more sinister going on?
We appear to have inked a home-home with Rutgers, so that's one B1G school. Yes, they're a B1G school. It's going to be tough sailing in the future if the P5 go to 9 game conference schedules. Those schools are going to want one guarantee, one home P5 and one road P5. Many have an OOC rivalry game already. Slim pickings.

Reaction Score
Beef up the schedule??? Are you kidding me?

We can't even get to 6 wins with the schedules we have been playing!

The goal right now is the get to 6 wins every year and make bowl games. Nothing else.
whoa!!! don't set the bar too high fella.

Reaction Score
hawk,
You need to look at this as a process. Winning is the critical first step. We have BYU, Virginia, Tennessee, Boise State on the schedule over the next few seasons. We'll probably be the underdog in every one of those games unless we show we can win a bunch. What our game plan needs to be is to get bowl eligible next year, and make regular progress toward the ultimate goal of winning titles. You build a reputation by putting up gaudy regular seasons numbers then winning whatever bowl game you go to. Beating a completely disinterested Florida team did more for Louisville's reputation than any win on the schedule. Shocking Oklahoma in the Fiesta is the win that made Boise State. Before that they were just a team that put up gaudy numbers against weak competition. they might play one major name every few years now, but that win was the one that changed the perception. One wonders whether west Virginia would be in the B12 today if they had not knocked off Georgia and Oklahoma in BCS games.
let's see where Boise is without Peterson... I bet by 2018, that game isn't as big as it looks today.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We appear to have inked a home-home with Rutgers, so that's one B1G school. Yes, they're a B1G school. It's going to be tough sailing in the future if the P5 go to 9 game conference schedules. Those schools are going to want one guarantee, one home P5 and one road P5. Many have an OOC rivalry game already. Slim pickings.

Has the Rutgers series been officially announced? Its been a while since we got wind of the series from that B1G schedule release, but nothing is out officially - is it?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
UConn is playing BYU and Boise State next year at home. That is more than enough beef on the schedule for where we are currently as a program.

You get fans to the game by winning games.

There are tons of teams this year bowl eligible because they weren't silly enough to schedule 3-4 losable non conference games a year like UConn has been doing.

The non conference schedule if anything has been filled with too many trap games against opponents who are just good enough to beat us. I gladly would have preferred to play a Norfolk State at home as opposed to Western Michigan or Iowa State for example as it would have led to a bowl game with a BCS level opponent at possibly Yankee Stadium. That is how you beef up the schedule. Win and get to a bowl.
Trap games? When these games are scheduled they're done so 5-8 years out usually. Any team can be good any season. To call Buffalo a trap game is insane. They aren't consistently good, they're sometimes decent. We happened to play them on a decent year. Same with Western Michigan. As someone posted above, when we scheduled that Boise St game it looked good. Peterson has left and come 2018, it might not be so great a game. When we scheduled Towson, I doubt they were very good or likely to be good. This is the problem with scheduling, it's done so far out that you never know what you'll get. THIS is why you need some name brand teams. We don't need Top Level but names like Tennessee and the likes are good starts.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Has the Rutgers series been officially announced? Its been a while since we got wind of the series from that B1G schedule release, but nothing is out officially - is it?
Don't think it's been released - but for whatever reason our schedule is guarded with a veil of secrecy.

Reaction Score
Don't think it's been released - but for whatever reason our schedule is guarded with a veil of secrecy.
With the expansion in 2014 and Navy coming in 2015, probably after the first conference meeting in January, they will decide the number of in-conference games going out which will then set up Rutgers for 2015/2016 or 2017.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
With the expansion in 2014 and Navy coming in 2015, probably after the first conference meeting in January, they will decide the number of in-conference games going out which will then set up Rutgers for 2015/2016 or 2017.
I've said it before, the Rutgers series is a done-deal for 2016 and 2017, but UConn is not going to announce the series until Rutgers and the AAC agree on exit terms. If you recall, Rutgers and the AAC are still actively involved in a lawsuit. The AAC has settled with Louisville for them to leave on July 1, 2014, but not yet Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I've said it before, the Rutgers series is a done-deal for 2016 and 2017, but UConn is not going to announce the series until Rutgers and the AAC agree on exit terms. If you recall, Rutgers and the AAC are still actively involved in a lawsuit. The AAC has settled with Louisville for them to leave on July 1, 2014, but not yet Rutgers.

The Rutgers series is a great get for UCONN. Not only does it keep an old rivalry in play with a P5 opponent, but it also means despite Rutgers and the AAC fallout, UCONN and Rutgers are on good terms. Hopefully Rutgers can be an ally whenever the next B1G expansion talks take place.

Reaction Score

I hope you are right but the President of my company who is a big enough donor at RU that he sits inside the club level for football and has had several 1 on 1 meetings with the new AD says it's not happening. He knows that I'm a UConn fan and I've been to games at Rutgers with him when we have hosted clients. According to him the old AD, Perneti had agreed to the deal w UConn but the new AD has pulled the plug. Supposedly the deal RU is making with the AAC is that they will play some games but they have already announced a 4 yr (2 home/2 away) w Temple and will play games with USF & UCF because they want to keep their Florida recruiting presence alive.

Take it FWIW

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I hope you are right but the President of my company who is a big enough donor at RU that he sits inside the club level for football and has had several 1 on 1 meetings with the new AD says it's not happening. He knows that I'm a UConn fan and I've been to games at Rutgers with him when we have hosted clients. According to him the old AD, Perneti had agreed to the deal w UConn but the new AD has pulled the plug. Supposedly the deal RU is making with the AAC is that they will play some games but they have already announced a 4 yr (2 home/2 away) w Temple and will play games with USF & UCF because they want to keep their Florida recruiting presence alive.

Take it FWIW

Ugh. Your story certainly seems plausible.

Reaction Score
So I'm going to give an opposing view as to why RU and UCONN should not play together......RU has nothing to gain from the series and I hope you guys see it from a different angle.

Two main points:

1. RU can potentially lose. We already will have one of the toughest schedules in the nation...why not add a cupcake instead of UCONN?
2. Not good if Uconn gets exposure in NJ or on national TV (lets be honest, we tend to get recruits in the north east over UCONN so there is no gain there by playing UCONN).

If you can realistically list a positive for RU then please do so...maybe there is something that I am not seeing. Do I think we're a better team right now? No, you guys kicked our ass last month. But being in the BigTen you can be a bit more selective with who you play, especially when it comes to making decisions in your best interest.

Reaction Score
So I'm going to give an opposing view as to why RU and UCONN should not play together......RU has nothing to gain from the series and I hope you guys see it from a different angle.

Two main points:

1. RU can potentially lose. We already will have one of the toughest schedules in the nation...why not add a cupcake instead of UCONN?
2. Not good if Uconn gets exposure in NJ or on national TV (lets be honest, we tend to get recruits in the north east over UCONN so there is no gain there by playing UCONN).

If you can realistically list a positive for RU then please do so...maybe there is something that I am not seeing. Do I think we're a better team right now? No, you guys kicked our ass last month. But being in the BigTen you can be a bit more selective with who you play, especially when it comes to making decisions in your best interest.

That's true you guys will probably be the B1G doormat, so you might as well schedule Norfolk State 4 times a season.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
That's true you guys will probably be the B1G doormat, so you might as well schedule Norfolk State 4 times a season.

Well yeah, have you seen our 2014 schedule? I hope we keep playing Norfolk State every year...no need for anything but a cupcake.

Sept. 13 PENN STATE*

Oct. 4 MICHIGAN*

Oct. 18 at Ohio State*

Oct. 25 at Nebraska*

Nov. 1 WISCONSIN*

Nov. 22 at Michigan State*

Nov. 29 at Maryland*

Reaction Score
Well yeah, have you seen our 2014 schedule? I hope we keep playing Norfolk State every year...no need for anything but a cupcake.

Sept. 13 PENN STATE*

Oct. 4 MICHIGAN*

Oct. 18 at Ohio State*

Oct. 25 at Nebraska*

Nov. 1 WISCONSIN*

Nov. 22 at Michigan State*

Nov. 29 at Maryland*
If you don't like your school's schedule I'd be happy to trade with you.

Reaction Score
If you don't like your school's schedule I'd be happy to trade with you.

Never said I didn't like it....just saying that scheduling cupcakes is necessary with that lineup or you won't have a team by the second month due to injuries.

Reaction Score
Never said I didn't like it....just saying that scheduling cupcakes is necessary with that lineup or you won't have a team by the second month due to injuries.

Rutgirls always has the potential to go winless regardless of the opponents. Once a loser, always a loser. Even the recruits see that as shown by their countless decommits.

Reaction Score

Take it FWIW

Hope Warde is smart enough to tell Julie Hermann that if she doesn't do a football deal with UConn she and C. Vivian can forget about playing the 8-time national champions. Should be how Warde is playing this game.

Reaction Score

Two main points:

1. Keeping a regional rival other than...Penn State

2. If I were Rutgers, I'd want to show my support in playing other east coast/northeast teams. Whenever the B1G goes to 16, is it really in Rutgers' best interest for those 2 teams to be from the Central Time Zone?

3. In response to your Point #2: With Jersey native Diaco in charge now, UCONN will be able to get plenty of recruits from NJ with or without playing Rutgers. Maybe Rutgers should form a better relationship with UCONN so we don't take all the top ones away from you! :D

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree with you ASweet on UCONN's schedule next year. It's not P5 teams, but it's good FBS teams with name recognition (unlike Towson, Buffalo). I'm talking about future schedules. We don't need anymore Towson, Buffalo, Fordham, Western Michigan type games..those type of games will exist with the bottom of the AAC.

What I disagree with is the aspiration to be a mediocre 6-6 bowl eligible team. If we want UCONN to be B1G, we have to think B1G in terms of winning seasons with better opponents. The AAC will have enough teams at the bottom for those pick-up wins.

Did you really pick that name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01