Next season subs | The Boneyard

Next season subs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The three incoming freshmen have played a lot together (three-on-three, etc.) Once they get a little acclimated next year could there be subbed in as a group with Natalie and Mo?

Reaction Score
Probably not. As Geno found out early this season that doesn't work. Maybe later on it could be OK.

HGN

Reaction Score
Geno generally likes to bring along Freshmen slowly..........Unless you're Maya, DT , Stewie , or KML. So I would see the Freshmen getting some spot and cleanup duty. It's that sophomore class of Gabby , Ekmark , and Natalie that I see picking up more minutes. With Saniya playing a bigger role. Nurse will maintain her starting spot.

Next season's subs will be just like a military ammo depot................. Weapons all over the place.

Reaction Score
I see the returning starters and Butler, Williams, Collier, and Samuelson being the first eight. I think that Boykin will be groomed to have a long-term role on the team, but I think that it will be a challenge for Chong and Ekmark to find minutes. I think the reasoning that Chong will play because she is a guard is overdone. Collier and Williams will bring so much athleticism to the floor that I think that we will see a one guard offense when Kia or Mo get a rest. Geno knows best of course, but I don't see how he'll be able to keep Collier of the court.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno generally likes to bring along Freshmen slowly.....Unless you're Maya, DT , Stewie , or KML. So I would see the Freshmen getting some spot and cleanup duty. It's that sophomore class of Gabby , Ekmark , and Natalie that I see picking up more minutes. With Saniya playing a bigger role. Nurse will maintain her starting spot.

Next season's subs will be just like a military ammo depot....... Weapons all over the place.

Think you should include Kia in your "unless" list. Very solid freshman starter year for her.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Permit a minority view.

Geno has often stated -- and who are we to disagree? -- that traditionally the biggest jump in quality performance occurs from freshman to sophomore seasons.

Picking up on that, next season could be a breakout one for Kia Nurse, but even more for Courtney Ekmark.

Courtney took a year to improve herself and I am sure she did, BUT. . .

at the cost of not actually playing in competive games. Then she lost several weeks of practice time early in the season because of a stress fracture.

Assuming that she is ready from the get-go, I look to her to step into the rotation and log lots of minutes.

Some 'Yarders have said she is too slow, but I have to disagree. She is 6'2", can shoot the lights out, handle the ball, and pass it. High bb IQ and great attitude.

My prediction: 20 minutes per game and lots of treys.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
but even more for Courtney Ekmark.

With the logjam coming, I doubt even KLS, Collier, or Williams will get 20 minutes much less Ekmark.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Permit a minority view.

Geno has often stated -- and who are we to disagree? -- that traditionally the biggest jump in quality performance occurs from freshman to sophomore seasons.

Picking up on that, next season could be a breakout one for Kia Nurse, but even more for Courtney Ekmark.

at the cost of not actually playing in competive games. Then she lost several weeks of practice time early in the season because of a stress fracture.

Assuming that she is ready from the get-go, I look to her to step into the rotation and log lots of minutes.

Some 'Yarders have said she is too slow, but I have to disagree. She is 6'2", can shoot the lights out, handle the ball, and pass it. High bb IQ and great attitude.

Kib, if she's 6' 2" she's done some growing. Her basketball instincts are excellent. She has to learn to pull the trigger on the 3 earlier. Her in game time has suffered from it being essentially junk time. She will be pressed by the competition on the team, but she has skills that should be used. I, too, am pulling for her. The official roster lists her at 6' even.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Permit a minority view.

I might as well own it because I'm among the Yarders you reference . But to be completely fair a lot of people are going to look less athletic when compared to MoJeff, Kia, Gabby, and Saniya. The lights out shooter thing has not been demonstrated. She was 21 of 64 this year=32% and 10 of 37=27% from 3 point range and most alarming only 1 of 7 from FT line. These are not exactly small sample sizes and the fact that many of her minutes were not in competitive games should add less pressure not more. She is really 6ft not 6'2". I hope you are correct and Courtney steps up next year. That would be great for her and UCONN and you and I can attribute a her sub par performance her freshmen to her injury. Right now I' m not convinced that the injury was what caused her to perform so far below what was projected for Courtney.

Reaction Score
Come tournament time Katie Lou and Napheesa will have passed Saniya and Courtney, probably before then too. I see Saniya and Courtney not playing as much with all the talent on the roster next year. Gabby will certainly get a lot more playing time, and Natalie will be starting and getting 25 minutes a game once she gets used to UConn's pace.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kib, if she's 6' 2" she's done some growing. Her basketball instincts are excellent. She has to learn to pull the trigger on the 3 earlier. Her in game time has suffered from it being essentially junk time. She will be pressed by the competition on the team, but she has skills that should be used. I, too, am pulling for her. The official roster lists her at 6' even.

My error. 6'0" is correct. Thank you.

Being a stubborn old cuss, I'll stick with the rest of my post. In 8-10 months we'll see if she grows 2".:rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I might as well own it because I'm among the Yarders you reference . But to be completely fair a lot of people are going to look less athletic when compared to MoJeff, Kia, Gabby, and Saniya. The lights out shooter thing has not been demonstrated. She was 21 of 64 this year=32% and 10 of 37=27% from 3 point range and most alarming only 1 of 7 from FT line. These are not exactly small sample sizes and the fact that many of her minutes were not in competitive games should add less pressure not more. She is really 6ft not 6'2". I hope you are correct and Courtney steps up next year. That would be great for her and UCONN and you and I can attribute a her sub par performance her freshmen to her injury. Right now I' m not convinced that the injury was what caused her to perform so far below what was projected for Courtney.

Coco - her minutes tended to be with a collection of her peers and 1 or 2 starters and the offensive movement could be and often was ragged. Far different than being out there with a cohesive unit. That does not make for pressure except of the kind that derives from those circumstances.

Reaction Score
The three incoming freshmen have played a lot together (three-on-three, etc.) Once they get a little acclimated next year could there be subbed in as a group with Natalie and Mo?
Why not, with a 30 point lead at half time?

Reaction Score
After Jefferson graduates who, if not Chong, will be the starting point guard when Dangerfield is a freshman? I think Nurse will stay a shooting guard. Chong needs to be given a ton of minutes this year.
Remember, Nurse was the starting point guard on the Canadian national team and acquitted herself quite well.. She brings a lot to the position with size, strength, court vision ,strong defensive skills, selflessness and more than adequate ball handling skills. I rethink we UCONN fans have seen a number of point guards that have been very quick and on the short and slender side( think Mo. Rita Williams. loran Dixon and Montgomery) and tend to think that is the model for a successful PG.. However, Kia could be( and IMO likely to be) the antidote needed for Mo's graduation remorse.

Reaction Score
Remember, in Geno's eyes, Chong earned the starting position last year--short term I know. Mo has the quickest drive to the basket in the nation--Chong showed that move multiple times. Nurse was trying to develop that same move, but was stopped most times and had numerous charges or turnovers. Chong is the second quickest to the hoop. Because Gabby was coming back off an injury and wasn't working on her handle, she did not have the recognition of an opening or that smooth quick drive like the other two. Chong showed little confidence in running the team and in her outside shot. Nurse has her there. Chong's defense improved over the season, but was still lacking. Nurse will be the starting point guard when Mo leaves unless Dangerfield or Chong clearly shows the confidence and leadership. In regard to Ekmark, I like her as a team mate and she seemed to work hard. However, she is SLOW reacting to ball movement and in one-on-one defense. With little game time and lack of confidence, her shot looked sad. I feel for her. I think she has to decide to accept a deep-bench role and maybe contribute something by senior year (maybe.) Otherwise if she wants to play more she will have to transfer. Butler gets most of the minutes early in the season and Gabby, KLS, and NC will get time based on their improvement.

Reaction Score
I agree with Philly C. I like both Chong and Ekmark but I don't see them keeping up with Nurse and Gabby (a guard sometime soon). Both C and E seem less physically able to compete for a starting or contributing role than their current and future temmaters are.
Of the incoming freshman this year I was most excited to see what Ekmark could bring. Her injury put her back, and her lack of speed seem to relegate her to the role of spot shooter (something that ND and Stanford have done well with supporting players over the past few years).
I don't see Chong playing over Nurse (who averaged ten points a game this year and will improve next year) and if Gabby switches back to guard (we now have plenty of forwards) then how can she not have an important role on this team?
It would be nice to think that eleven scholarship players would all get significant playing time, but we all know that that won't happen. The three incoming freshmen appear to be studs (the key word here being "appear") and with Butler and Williams being proven commodities there would seem to be a limited window for for C and E to contribute. Personally I hope that I'm wrong but "speed kills" and the guards that are lined up ahead of them are burners by comparison.

Reaction Score
I don't see Ekmark or Chong getting a lot of playing time next year. I think Geno will switch Gabby to guard/wing next year and she will get minutes replacing Moriah, Kia and Morgan. He will also use a single guard with four wing/posts a number of times during the year.
Also, he will need to give solid minutes to Collier and Samuelson. I think Collier is a Maya Moore class player and Samuelson a more rounded but not quite as good a shooter as KML. Collier and Samuelson will be the scoring heart of the team after Stewie and Moriah leave,

Reaction Score
Permit a minority view.

She is 6'2", can shoot the lights out, handle the ball, and pass it.

Courtney is 17% on free throws, 32% on field goals, and 27% on 3 pointers. That might get you a Husky Prize Pack if you participate during timeouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom