Newton named Big East Player of the Week | The Boneyard

Newton named Big East Player of the Week

Reaction Score

figured it was worth starting a new thread! congrats, tristen!!

NEW YORK – Connecticut guard Tristen Newton has been named BIG EAST Player of the Week and Providence guard Rich Barron has been chosen BIG EAST Freshman of the Week. Newton led the No. 1-ranked Huskies to a 2-0 week. Barron set a collegiate scoring high in a road win at DePaul.

BIG EAST Player of the Week
Tristen Newton, UConn, G, Gr.
– Newton guided the Huskies to a 2-0 week while averaging 20.5 points, 7.0 rebounds and 4.0 assists. The grad student began with game-highs of 16 points, eight boards and five assists in a 62-48 win over No. 18 Creighton. In a 66-65 win at Villanova, Newton scored a game-high 25 points and grabbed six rebounds.

BIG EAST Freshman of the Week
Rich Barron, Providence, G, Fr.
– Barron returned to his hometown of Chicago, and netted a collegiate career-high 12 points on 4-of-5 shooting in a 100-71 victory at DePaul. He made 2-of-3 from 3-point range. For the season, Barron is shooting 14-of-29 (.483) from beyond the arc.

BIG EAST Honor Roll
Ryan Kalkbrenner, Creighton, C, Sr.
– Averaged 19.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 6.0 blocked shots in a 1-1 week. In a triple OT win at Seton Hall (97-94), had 28 points, nine boards and a career-high seven blocked shots.

Tyler Kolek, Marquette, G, Sr. – Posted a pair of double-doubles in a 2-0 week. Had 21 points and 11 assists in a win over Villanova 87-74 and 15 points and 11 assists in a win at St. John’s (73-72).

Devin Carter, Providence, G, Jr. – Recorded 25 points, seven rebounds, four assists, three steals and had no turnovers in a win at DePaul (100-62). Made 8-of-15 from the field and 7-of-7 from the foul line.

Kadary Richmond, Seton Hall, G, Sr. – Achieved the first triple double by a Pirate in a BIG EAST game with 21 points, 11 rebounds and 11 assists in a triple OT loss to Creighton (97-94). Averaged 16.5 points, 10.0 rebounds, 7.5 assists and 2.5 steals in a 1-1 week.

Desmond Claude, Xavier, G, So. – Averaged 22.5 points, 6.5 assists and 4.0 rebounds in a 2-0 week. Netted a career-high 26 points in a win against Butler (85-71) and had 19 points and nine assists in a win over Georgetown (92-91).

on a side note, i understand that richmond getting the second triple-double in seton hall history has some significance, but are we really pretending that he was good in that game? they played three overtimes, so the rebounds and assists are bound to be inflated, and he shot 8-32. putrid efficiency.

Reaction Score
updated tracker, for those keeping score. if it sounds like i am salty about richmond, it might be because he is likely the frontrunner for conference player of the year if the season ended today.

also, nice of castle to let someone else win freshmen of the week!

PlayerTeamPOTWFOTWHonor Role
Pierre BrooksButler1
Jahmyl TelfortButler2
Jalen ThomasButler1
Trey AlexanderCreighton12
Baylor ScheiermanCreighton11
Ryan KalkbrennerCreighton2
Chico CarterDePaul1
Rowan BrumbaughGeorgetown1
Dontrez StylesGeorgetown1
Jayden EppsGeorgetown1
Kam JonesMarquette1
Tyler KolekMarquette13
Oso IghodaroMarquette1
Sean JonesMarquette1
Devin CarterPeeCee13
Bryce HopkinsPeeCee3
Rich BarronPeeCee1
Kadary RichmondSeton Hall23
Al-Amir DawesSeton Hall11
Isaiah ColemanSeton Hall2
Joel SorianoSt. John's4
Brady DunlapSt. John's1
Daniss JenkinsSt. John's1
Donovan ClinganUConn1
Stephon CastleUConn4
Alex KarabanUConn4
Tristen NewtonUConn13
Solomon BallUConn1
Eric DixonVillanova12
Tyler BurtonVillanova1
Desmond ClaudeXavier3
Lazar DjokovicXavier1
Quincy OlivariXavier3

Reaction Score
Hey, look at that. The best team in the conference finally gets a POTW!

Voting for the Big East Player of the Year is going to be interesting. There is no clear cut favorite at this point. We'll see if someone breaks from the pack in the next few weeks.

Reaction Score
Great and well deserved!! To achieve this while being hindered by the refs is amazing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

on a side note, i understand that richmond getting the second triple-double in seton hall history has some significance, but are we really pretending that he was good in that game? they played three overtimes, so the rebounds and assists are bound to be inflated, and he shot 8-32. putrid efficiency.

Disagree about Kadary. He missed at least eight lay up bunnies partially because he was gassed for a good part of that game. Every one of his attempts were the result of incredible playmaking to get those shots. Creighton was lucky he missed so many easy shots.

Reaction Score
Cam Spenser Spencer has never even been honorable mention. Insane.
I'm not sure if you use talk to text but you always spell his name with an "s" instead of a "c". He's not Spenser For Hire. :)

Spencer with a "c"
Tristen with an "e"
Samson with no "p"

I'm not giving up on this. There are only 12 scholarship players. We should be able to spell their names correctly. Except the Greek kid. I'm giving everyone a pass on that one.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you use talk to text but you always spell his name with an "s" instead of a "c". He's not Spenser For Hire. :)

Spencer with a "c"
Tristen with an "e"
Samson with no "p"

I'm not giving up on this. There are only 12 scholarship players. We should be able to spell their names correctly. Except the Greek kid. I'm giving everyone a pass on that one.
Hopefully the clouds hear you

Reaction Score
Disagree about Kadary. He missed at least eight lay up bunnies partially because he was gassed for a good part of that game. Every one of his attempts were the result of incredible playmaking to get those shots. Creighton was lucky he missed so many easy shots.

Nearly every one of those shots was affected by Kalkbrenner. If only they were playing 4 on 4.

Reaction Score

Spencer with a "c"
Tristen with an "e"
Samson with no "p"

He'll get the "C" when he make BE honorable mention and not a second before.

Reaction Score
Nearly every one of those shots was affected by Kalkbrenner. If only they were playing 4 on 4.
Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner. That's what I was telling some people here on the Boneyard and what I was yelling at Tarik Turner, the analyst calling the game, when they keep parroting this line that Richmond blew a bunch of layups or bunnies. That is not true, Richmond didn't blow bunnies-Kalkbrenner affected everyone of his misses, or almost everyone of his misses.

Reaction Score

Kadary was awful in that game.

He was missing point blank layups left and right. Kalkbrenner being in his head isn't a good excuse because he was missing unchallenged layups.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Several shots missed were uncontested. Did Kalkbrenner get into his head. Possibly. The kid is just a beast to stop. Hopefully Donovan has a better game second time around against him. Staying healthy will help.

Reaction Score
It's perfectly clear here so there are no clouds. Would you continually spell the name of one of your friends wrong? I don't think so. It's not that hard since we talk about all the players on here non-stop.
I have a friend named Richard whom I text often. I continually spell his name and refer to him as a Dick.

Reaction Score
I have a friend named Richard whom I text often. I continually spell his name and refer to him as a Dick.
Unless you spelled it Duck I don't see any issue. Unless he spells it another way beside Dick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom