Newton is coming back! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Newton is coming back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
This makes a successful season for Castle much more likely. They have great complimentary skillsets. We will win a bunch of games because he's back--no doubt. As much as people like to bag on him, that's a national championship PG.

He’s a perfect fit with Castle. I’m geeked for this season man, and we just won a chip.

I’m not sure why, but this specific group has been on my mind for the last year. I just think it’s a special group. Pieces fit nicely.

I originally thought this was our championship year…we went ahead of schedule. So I can’t back out now. Back to back it is.

Reaction Score
This raises the ceiling for next season significantly. Starting backcourt is locked in now, and can have Ball, Stewart, Ross come in and compete for the last starting spot

Entirely possible we push Castle to the 3 on defense, and start one of these transfer SGs we've been after. Defensively, the lineup would look something like

Transfer
Newton
Castle
Karaban
Clingan

I like that because Castle is not super light on his feet, and is not a particularly good defender like many HS recruits. Guarding the 3 will let us use his size and protect him from quick, skilled guards that he isn't going to be able to stay in front of.

Obviously, on offense we're going to see Castle and Newton splitting PG duties, and that 6'3 shooter (like Spencer or what we wanted from Timberlake) will slot into the Hawkins role.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling Stewart is going to slot in at the 3 spot

Stewart isn't going to play the 3. He has the skill on offense, but couldn't defend a college 3. 3/4 in our offense are essentially the same position... defensively, not so much. He's probably the Karaban back up. Solo will back up the guards. Ross will back up the 3. Singare/Johnson, the 5.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is huge for the team. Need some veteran leadership and it was really lacking with the guys we had. Agree with @husky429 we likely go for a transfer shooting guard and Castle defends the 3 spot. I expect good things from Ball, Ross and Stewart (maybe they become "The Jays"), but two freshman starters is too many. They'll play minutes at the 2-3 for sure. I think the backup 4 minutes go to Johnson.

Now get that transfer and we are looking good for the season.

Reaction Score
We are relying on a freshman starter + 2 sophomores. Another freshman probably starts unless we pick up a transfer SG. And our bench depth is going to be mostly freshman.

I think we can be a top-25 tournament team and make a lucky push for a S16 if we gel, but I don't see this as a championship-level season. Freshman are supposed to go through growing pains... and we have a lot of 'em. Can't expect the same ability to close out games or make the big play in a pivotal moment as guys like Joey or Alleyne.

For me, this feels like an enjoy the development season, and get excited about Clingan/Castle going in the lottery.
I don't think making the sweet 16 with 2 lottery picks plus Karaban and Newton would require much luck.

Reaction Score
We are relying on a freshman starter + 2 sophomores. Another freshman probably starts unless we pick up a transfer SG. And our bench depth is going to be mostly freshman.

I think we can be a top-25 tournament team and make a lucky push for a S16 if we gel, but I don't see this as a championship-level season. Freshman are supposed to go through growing pains... and we have a lot of 'em. Can't expect the same ability to close out games or make the big play in a pivotal moment as guys like Joey or Alleyne.

For me, this feels like an enjoy the development season, and get excited about Clingan/Castle going in the lottery.
We're going to have the best player on the court every single game with Clingan. Potentially the best 3 players with Clingan, Karaban, and Newton. This isn't a fringe top 25 team, this is a legit top 5 team

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter much if Castle plays the 3 this day and age. Many coaches, including Hurley, like defenders who can switch out on D. It was obvious that teams were attacking Karaban early, but his defense kept improving as the season went on. Then once Jordan Hawkins starting do Jordan Hawkins things on the offensive end, he became the guy they targeted because opposing coaches saw that as a weakness or were trying to get him in foul trouble and off the court.
Castle will just have to hit the floor running and improve over the season. They all will. It's a young team. For me, the entire key to this team is how many minutes can Clingan play out there and be effective. He showed an amazing ability to play great D without fouling. Also, he had Sanogo ahead of him, so he could come in and go all out every minute he was in there. He's going to learn how to steal a few minutes here and there and/or Johnson will have to take a 'BIG' leap forward. It's not that he doesn't have it in him. It's just we don't know yet if he can put those skills together. I know Singare is there, too, but what is the dropoff. The second team was an absolute weapon for Hurley last year.
As to the main topic, love to see Newton back. Hope the Big East refs let him play and not get mugged every game.

Reaction Score
In my opinion the move is to slide Newton into Hawkins spot let him be the scorer that he is and relieve him of his ball handling duties (they go to Castle and Diarra) have Ball spot him off the bench as the future star in waiting the same way Bouknight and Hawkins came off the bench their freshman years. The 5th starting spot will be one of either Spencer, Ross, Samson Johnson, or a portal kid.

Reactions: MJ1
Reaction Score
We're going to have the best player on the court every single game with Clingan. Potentially the best 3 players with Clingan, Karaban, and Newton. This isn't a fringe top 25 team, this is a legit top 5 team

I think this is more like a top 10 team with championship ceiling if one of the freshman really hits immediately as is and is probably 1b if we get Jack back, or a Spencer tier transfer.

I think Castle will be a good defender by the end of the year, too. It took about half a season (plus redshirt) for Karaban to go from turnstile to a plus player.

Reaction Score
Great news.. Need the leadership that Newton can provide this year for a young team.... Castle synergy will allow him to be off the ball with more frequency.. IMO.. His lane and comfort level.

Allows the other freshmen to ease into the lineup and bring their unique talents to the table over the early part of the season.. Let's close on a portal shooter or two to fill out the roster..

Edit: Really think Tristen will benefit from having a more vocal role as a leader/mentor to the younger guys.. By nature ..A laid-back dude.. DH will encourage/cultivate that part of his growth and I believe the combination of an excellent year and his leadership development will make him more attractive at the next level..

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You have Clingan and Karaban going lottery and you think this is just an enjoy the development season?

Reaction Score
I think this is more like a top 10 team with championship ceiling if one of the freshman really hits immediately as is and is probably 1b if we get Jack back, or a Spencer tier transfer.

I think Castle will be a good defender by the end of the year, too. It took about half a season (plus redshirt) for Karaban to go from turnstile to a plus player.
Good news is that they're going to get put through the ringer immediately with our non-conference schedule. Perfect learning experiences for the freshman. They'll be ready by March. Every Hurley team is.

Reaction Score

Certainly possible. I think we were spoiled with freshmen this year being so ready. Maybe I'm wrong... I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
You have Clingan and Karaban going lottery and you think this is just an enjoy the development season?

Clingan and Castle go lottery, not Karaban. And yes I do think this is a 15-25 kind of season, not a top-5 kind of season, because of the lack of experience and bench depth.

Getting Cam Spencer would definitely change this assessment.

Reaction Score
GIF by VPRO

Reaction Score
Certainly possible. I think we were spoiled with freshmen this year being so ready. Maybe I'm wrong... I hope I'm wrong.
Even if they're not ready right away, Championships aren't won in November. We've seen over and over again how this staff develops players throughout the year. They're going to be firing on all cylinders in March

Reaction Score
FWIW..UCLA has added some Euros to their roster and they have roster decisions being revealed today about two returnees that may affect the Spencer recruitment.. I realize there is a connection to an assistant at UCLA but those returnee decisions may fill out the roster.. Stay tuned

Edit: Bona/Clark decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog