Newton Commits- It's on ESPN | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Newton Commits- It's on ESPN

Reaction Score
By seasons end most teams play 8 guys with their starters playing the vast majority of tournament minutes.... I am very confident that we have Newton/jackson/hawkins/sanogo as 4 of those spots.... and castle/karaban/johnson/clingan could all play their way in pretty easily... I agree we need more guys for dept and for injuries and what not dont think we need any "significant" pieces at this point to compete in BE next year
this is the rational viewpoint... but logic and reason go in one ear and out the other with most people on the boneyard

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
slater?
this is the only slater i know
saved-by-the-bell-s1-saved-by-the-bell-25343612-701-530.png

the man. the legend. dude had it goin on, like donkey kong.
what's ur guy got?
something interesting happened when i went hunting for a pic of ol mr wonderful there. first on the tube, when i started to enter 's-a-v-e-d,'
the algo was already kicking out the tv show. then, i hit bing -same thing. ok, im not running on a completely naked platform, so i called a bud up.
'hey, u got any clean machines to run an un-algo'd search?
it just so happens that i do, s'up?
could you run a search on 'saved by the bell' and see when the links start?
( sometime later, while im posting madonna vids (hehhe -later slater), he hits back with the news,
i make it 's-a-v-e-d.'
thanks.'
so, with all the whatever in this life, 'saved' is commonly thought of as 'saved by the bell.'
now, that's juice.

Reaction Score
How many years in a row do we have to lose in the first round of the tournament due to not having enough shot creation before everyone realizes that we need more than one guy who can break down the defense with the ball?

The good news, at least, is that Hurley realizes this.

So yes, there are more significant pieces coming, and yes, we need them.

EDIT: I just realized this came off as snarkier/meaner than I intended, and my apologies for that. Anyway... we really do need at least one more guy who can put the ball on the floor and do something with it. And at least one more guy like that is coming (pretty sure it'll be two).
I’m so glad to hear we are looking for shot creators! I was screaming from mountaintops last offseason that one guy with limited athleticism isn’t enough re shot creators. Hurley just wasn’t ready to embrace the portal yet.

In a way, I’m kinda glad for the exodus as it forced him to change his thinking (if he didn’t already which he prob did).

We’re UConn! Let’s get back to multiple stud guards!!! Guard U!

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
We only have 8 scholarship players on the roster currently, one of which hasn't seen any non-garbage minutes in 3 years at UConn, 13 scholarship players at the D1 level.
I'm part kidding, part serious here. Given what appears to be the new youth mindset, 13 sounds like a number we should never hit. You could guarantee #s 11-13 will head to the portal, so why bother? Max it at 10 and everyone is on the 2 deep. For many the days of paying your dues are over. And if 11-13 are going to leave, why not save the money on their scholarships? What's that, about $100K/yr.

Reaction Score
How many years in a row do we have to lose in the first round of the tournament due to not having enough shot creation before everyone realizes that we need more than one guy who can break down the defense with the ball?

The good news, at least, is that Hurley realizes this.

So yes, there are more significant pieces coming, and yes, we need them.

EDIT: I just realized this came off as snarkier/meaner than I intended, and my apologies for that. Anyway... we really do need at least one more guy who can put the ball on the floor and do something with it. And at least one more guy like that is coming (pretty sure it'll be two).
Do you know if the staff has identified their targets for those 2 spots or is the feeling just that they want to add 2 more impact players?

Reaction Score
something interesting happened when i went hunting for a pic of ol mr wonderful there. first on the tube, when i started to enter 's-a-v-e-d,'
the algo was already kicking out the tv show. then, i hit bing -same thing. ok, im not running on a completely naked platform, so i called a bud up.
'hey, u got any clean machines to run an un-algo'd search?
it just so happens that i do, s'up?
could you run a search on 'saved by the bell' and see when the links start?
( sometime later, while im posting madonna vids (hehhe -later slater), he hits back with the news,
i make it 's-a-v-e-d.'
thanks.'
so, with all the whatever in this life, 'saved' is commonly thought of as 'saved by the bell.'
now, that's juice.
Mario Lopez Football GIF

(4th result in GIPHY)

Reaction Score
He probably does but no point in sharing right now. Don't want to put your neck out there and then be screamed at by 50 crazy boneyarders when/if they don't end up coming here.
I know he’s not going to share a name. My question was does the staff already know who they are going after or are they still in search mode. There’s a big difference

Reaction Score
I know he’s not going to share a name. My question was does the staff already know who they are going after or are they still in search mode. There’s a big difference
With Young out with Newton's commit, it looks like based on tea reading that the staff has 2 primary targets for combo guard (Ramey, Carter) and then are now scrambling for a depth pieces with the Floyd news (Femi Odukale, Hunter McIntosh, etc.).

Reaction Score
With Young out with Newton's commit, it looks like based on tea reading that the staff has 2 primary targets for combo guard (Ramey, Carter) and then are now scrambling for a depth pieces with the Floyd news (Femi Odukale, Hunter McIntosh, etc.).
I’d take the Carter kid because that means PC can’t have him. The depth guy is gonna be interesting. Won’t have high expectations for that piece

Reaction Score
May be wrong but I thought Young/Ramey were going to see if they could catch on with NBA interest without hiring an agent.. And if limited or no interest.. Would revisit any portal interest. Carter has a connection with Minaya-SoCaro transfer leaving PC for the League.. How much weight does that have with him? Don't know.

AJ Reeves has declared for NBA so the cupboard is also pretty bare at PC . The fact that PC has reached out to Floyd via portal interest should indicate that we may be competing with them more frequently in the portal. Griffiths and Bowen watching with interest I'm sure.

Reaction Score
Not really, we have no depth right now, we are just hoping there is a plan. The sky isn't falling, but it's not necessarily stable.
How do know he doesn't have a plan? Stop overreacting. As shown in the pics with Bazz we have some good players still committed to the program. Let's see where this roster ends up before crying wolf.

Reaction Score
How do know he doesn't have a plan? Stop overreacting. As shown in the pics with Bazz we have some good players still committed to the program. Let's see where this roster ends up before crying wolf.
Tell me where I said he doesn’t have a plan. I said we’re hoping he does. Because i’m pretty sure its clear that Diggins and Floyd weren’t expected to transfer. And those guys in the pics with Shabazz constitute pretty much the entirety of our roster right now.

Reaction Score
Tell me where I said he doesn’t have a plan. I said we’re hoping he does. Because i’m pretty sure its clear that Diggins and Floyd weren’t expected to transfer. And those guys in the pics with Shabazz constitute pretty much the entirety of our roster right now.
You know who was expected to transfer? Ok so you have inside sources?

Reaction Score
Floyd wasn't expected but I think it's pretty clear Diggins was nudged.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Mario Lopez Football GIF

(4th result in GIPHY)
i'd give an approval on that but for one thing, i don't 'like' that word, and never approve of it. good pic of mr wonderful tho, and the sign behind it that sez 'tutors wanted.' twas ever thus.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I’d take the Carter kid because that means PC can’t have him. The depth guy is gonna be interesting. Won’t have high expectations for that piece
How do you even recruit a depth piece from the portal? Every kid in there wants starters minutes… how many guys worth getting are actually going to sign on to play 15 MPG backup role? I guess you just gotta sell them on all Blaze Pizza in Storrs.

Reaction Score
How do you even recruit a depth piece from the portal? Every kid in there wants starters minutes… how many guys worth getting are actually going to sign on to play 15 MPG backup role? I guess you just gotta sell them on all Blaze Pizza in Storrs.
The later you wait, spots are going to fill up and guys are going to get desperate

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Time just doing it's thing

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member