Newton AP First-Team All-American | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Newton AP First-Team All-American

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For me, this goes into never underestimate what coming back for another year can do for you.

Tristen could have sat on bench in G league this year but chose to come back and frankly, when he goes into the draft/league, he is a finished product. He has cemented his place as one of the UConn all time greats!

The more I see our early departures sit on the bench in the NBA, the more I think staying longer so when you go in, you are in a better place to compete for minutes vs still learning the game. From what I am seeing it is tough to work your way into a rotation no matter the “hype” or ”potential.” You need to be ready to play - well at least most do.
Jackson can't score and another year wasn't really going to change that. It was always going to be difficult for him to break into the league and play a lot and he ended up on one of the best teams in the NBA which is filled with veterans. The NBA just doesn't value what Sanogo does, that wasn't going to change with another year. Hawkins would be playing a ton on a typical lottery team but he ended up on a team that was only lottery because of injuries. He isn't getting much burn now because the Pelicans are really good for the first time in forever and they want the best seed they can get for the playoffs. It's working with their lineup of returning players.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Tristen!

This makes the Big East look like even more of clown show naming Devin Carter CPOY.
Exactly...how can he be one of the 5 best players in CBB, but not best in his own conf??

The BE has really shown itself to be inept in so many facets...the petty coaches not voting Newton POY, the Commish picking a retiring septuagenarian as a our committee rep and that rep managing to get only teams in the top 15 into the tourney... Then she writes a letter as her only response...really... Chief was right...

Reaction Score
He's already up there with the great Uconn PGs but back to back Nattys in his 2 years here puts him in 1 of 1 status.

It's hard to not overstate the impact he's had on the program the last 2 years. Don't take for granted an elite do everything PG because they make everyone around them better.

The most impactful player of Hurleys tenure so far.

Reaction Score
CONGRATS TRISTEN!!! Amazing accomplishment and an amazing story for him. Barely recruited out of high school, nationally unknown on ECU, transfers to UConn and helps lead the team to a national championship. Comes back and now leads the best team in the country to its first ever overall #1 seed, leading the team in points assists and rebounds. Very well deserved.

Sorry but I can’t not pile on here..
Newton 1st team
Kolek 2nd team
Scheierman 3rd team
Devin Carter BE POY. Make it make sense?

Reaction Score
Exactly...how can he be one of the 5 best players in CBB, but not best in his own conf??

The BE has really shown itself to be inept in so many facets...the petty coaches not voting Newton POY, the Commish picking a retiring septuagenarian as a our committee rep and that rep managing to get only teams in the top 15 into the tourney... Then she writes a letter as her only response...really... Chief was right...
It's all on the commissioner. She doesn't sell the conference at all. She couldn't even get UConn into the Gavitt Games this season and other out of conference tournaments before this season.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Tristen!

This makes the Big East look like even more of clown show naming Devin Carter CPOY.
conference player of the year doesn’t mean “best” player. There’s a lot of “best” players out there. You have to give Devin Carter a lot of credit the way he stepped it up when Hopkins went down.

Reaction Score
conference player of the year doesn’t mean “best” player. There’s a lot of “best” players out there. You have to give Devin Carter a lot of credit the way he stepped it up when Hopkins went down.

Explore eyerolling GIFs

Counterpoint: by definition there are not a lot of best players out there.

Reaction Score
By far the most important player to come back from last years team imo. He is the Engine of this team. Everyone is always in the correct place offensively because of him. Thrilled he got this honor.
I also have ZERO issues that team will somehow fall apart when we face a top defensive team. We are their worst nightmare. He and Cam have a zillion college games under their belt, Newtons at the Championship level. Add Diarra's experience winning a Championship last year and these teams are going to wish they practiced their three point shots instead of their full court press.

Reaction Score
Yep, our conference should give the CPOY award to someone who isn't the best player and led his team to the NIT instead of to the best player who led his team to the most wins ever in Big East play, dominated the conference, and got the #1 overall seed in the NCAA tournament. You totally convinced me!

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Can't say much more than others, but thank you Tristen for deciding to return for this season !

Let's Go !

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
For me, this goes into never underestimate what coming back for another year can do for you.

Tristen could have sat on bench in G league this year but chose to come back and frankly, when he goes into the draft/league, he is a finished product. He has cemented his place as one of the UConn all time greats!

The more I see our early departures sit on the bench in the NBA, the more I think staying longer so when you go in, you are in a better place to compete for minutes vs still learning the game. From what I am seeing it is tough to work your way into a rotation no matter the “hype” or ”potential.” You need to be ready to play - well at least most do.
I think it is clear but you will get some different opinions. I can think of one player for sure on this years team that would benefit from coming back. The player I am talking about is not Donovan. But I could see this player earn BEPOY and All American next year. Thus improving his draft position from maybe second round to for sure second round and maybe late first round, if he has the year I know he is capable of having.

Reaction Score
I get that Newton got shafted for BE POY but why are people blaming the conference when it is decided by the coaches? Is the argument that the conference should have superseded the coaches and selected the winner?

Reaction Score
I get that Newton got shafted for BE POY but why are people blaming the conference when it is decided by the coaches? Is the argument that the conference should have superseded the coaches and selected the winner?
Because this doesn't happen in other conferences. Have a strong commissioner and little league stuff like this doesn't happen.

Reaction Score
I think it is clear but you will get some different opinions. I can think of one player for sure on this years team that would benefit from coming back. The player I am talking about is not Donovan. But I could see this player earn BEPOY and All American next year. Thus improving his draft position from maybe second round to for sure second round and maybe late first round, if he has the year I know he is capable of having.
Unless absolutely brilliant in tourney, he’ll be here next year

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
He's the straw that stirs the drink...

Reaction Score
Congrats, Tristen! Very well deserved.

I know that the women's criteria for getting on the Wall is being an All-American. I don't know if the men use the same criteria, but certainly Tristen has enough accolades to be so honored.

Reaction Score
Good point. Maybe the coaches get back together and say OK, do this again and let's try not to fork it up this time, umkay? Meeting, regroup, take it seriously, find the saboteur(s).

Reaction Score
Because this doesn't happen in other conferences. Have a strong commissioner and little league stuff like this doesn't happen.
It does happen tho. 2014 B12 POY went to a player on the 4th place team. In 2020 the B1G POY went to a player on the 5th place team.

Reaction Score
Trying to remember all the previous UCONN 1st Team AA?

Donyell
Ray
Rip
Emeka
Thabeet??
Kemba
Shabazz

Who am I missing?

Reaction Score
It does happen tho. 2014 B12 POY went to a player on the 4th place team. In 2020 the B1G POY went to a player on the 5th place team.
Luka Garza was 1st team all-American and led a top 25 team in the Covid canceled tournament season.

Melvin Ejim was 2nd team all-American, his team finished tied for third in the conference and they were a 3 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
And somehow he’s not big east POY. Makes perfect sense. Unreal

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Outstanding recognition for Newton. He's been an unbelievable addition to this team. It's great for the program as well, we haven't had one since Shabazz I think. Signals again that we're all the back and staying back.

For fun, go back to last season and read all the threads saying "I can't believe we don't have a point guard!". It's pretty comical in hindsight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom