Newton: “give me the ball” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Newton: “give me the ball”

Reaction Score
This crap only stops when said referees act more professionally and get assignments taken away from them. The call on the three point attempt was really bad. I don’t think enough consequences are being enforced currently to stop these grudges.
Ultimately it rests on the league commissioner to end this unprofessional and embarassing officiating. Thus far, she has been out to lunch or totally clueless.

Reaction Score
This crap only stops when said referees act more professionally and get assignments taken away from them. The call on the three point attempt was really bad. I don’t think enough consequences are being enforced currently to stop these grudges.
Agree, so players are expected to act professional but not the officials. Like others I was hoping for improvement this season from the Big East stripes but if anything it has regressed.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
He doesn’t really complain that outwardly or exaggerated, he just gives them a look like “C’mon really?” Maybe refs don’t like that, but they need to get over themselves.
You’re not wrong

Reaction Score
Agree, so players are expected to act professional but not the officials. Like others I was hoping for improvement this season from the Big East stripes but if anything it has regressed.
No Briefs Chief? Busy with mattresses?

Reaction Score
tbh, I didn't hear what Tristen said, I just heard what Supreme Cook responded with.
Tristen gave him a hard foul and pulled him down in the process and that's when Cook immediately jumped into his face and barked on him "wtf are you doing" or something to that effect. not sure what Newton said to him afterwards but it's kinda wild that the refs had to deliberate for a second and hand out double Ts instead of a prompt T to Cook right off the rip. it looked like Newton was just looking at him and laughing.

Reaction Score
FWIW.. Coach Cal was successful in getting a Texas A+M guard's made three called as an offensive foul last weekend for the same reason as Newton. Could have effected the outcome of game but A+M was able to get the W
They took 6 points away from us, 3 from TN and 3 from AK due to SJ's pick foul.

Reaction Score
My issue there is.. Creighton had no timeouts. While you're standing there holding the ball like a gavon and icing our shooter, you're allowing the Creighton guys to regroup and talk and McDermott to sit there and talk to his point guard to organize themselves. Give him the ball, let him shoot and stop giving the team with no timeouts a mini-timeout.

Reaction Score
He doesn’t really complain that outwardly or exaggerated, he just gives them a look like “C’mon really?” Maybe refs don’t like that, but they need to get over themselves.
I think it's the smile he seems to always have. They think he's getting away with something they didn't see.

Reaction Score
Lmaooo, the league has won 3 championships since 2016. Clearly has served them poorly. Also, the current tv deal that pays really well for a basketball only league was signed before we even got back, so until the new deal is signed and we see what bump if any we get, I don't think we have the leverage to dictate the commissioner what to do.
So you think that this refereeing is a net positive for the league? Lmaooo

Reaction Score
Lmaooo, the league has won 3 championships since 2016. Clearly has served them poorly. Also, the current tv deal that pays really well for a basketball only league was signed before we even got back, so until the new deal is signed and we see what bump if any we get, I don't think we have the leverage to dictate the commissioner what to do.
What happens if UConn were to leave the Big East?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
They took 6 points away from us, 3 from TN and 3 from AK due to SJ's pick foul.
SJ stuck his hip out as the defender passed it was a foul. Actually SJ comes close to fouling on most screens he sets. Maybe I am not fully versed on what is allowed while screening in the new BE, but he definitely impacted the defender’s ability to get to the shooter. The call on TN was just bad.

Reaction Score
So you think that this refereeing is a net positive for the league? Lmaooo
That's not what your argument was, you said it did not serve them well in the tournament. I countered that they have won 3 of the last 7 championships.

Reaction Score
Tristen gave him a hard foul and pulled him down in the process and that's when Cook immediately jumped into his face and barked on him "wtf are you doing" or something to that effect. not sure what Newton said to him afterwards but it's kinda wild that the refs had to deliberate for a second and hand out double Ts instead of a prompt T to Cook right off the rip. it looked like Newton was just looking at him and laughing.
Glad you posted this as someone on the game chat took issue with me saying Cook should be T’d for getting in Newtons grill. At least it turned out I was right, or half right.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DH mentioned in his presser that Tristen may have to work on his approach with the refs to get his fair share of calls. Even Coach McD helped get a call or two vs him by "chatting" with the refs. Call on the made three with the leg kickout is exhibit#1
The ref baiter supreme giving hints to his player. WOW
DH needs to coach the game and TN needs to play the game - priority ONE to both.
BTW - Newton is a huge trash talker - one thing to do so at opposing players but as Larry Bird once said - "Talking crap at the ref gets you nowhere but the showers before anyone else" and Bird is a trash talker on another level

Reaction Score
SJ stuck his hip out as the defender passed it was a foul. Actually SJ comes close to fouling on most screens he sets. Maybe I am not fully versed on what is allowed while screening in the new BE, but he definitely impacted the defender’s ability to get to the shooter. The call on TN was just bad.
Agree on SJ's foul, not TN's though.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
DH needs to coach the game and TN needs to play the game - priority ONE to both.
BTW - Newton is a huge trash talker - one thing to do so at opposing players but as Larry Bird once said - "Talking crap at the ref gets you nowhere but the showers before anyone else" and Bird is a trash talker on another level
Yes this could be problem. I did not know he was that bad. I hope he isn’t bringing mothers, wife’s, family and girlfriends into the trash talking. Hearing that Cook said “you can’t say that sh….et” is concerning. Did some research and it appears Cook is a pretty solid kid. So Danny needs to reign that in. But it explains a lot because you know the refs are hearing what he is saying and if he is crossing the line then it makes the lack of calls a little easier to understand. I don’t get to go to a lot of games in person since I live in way South Florida, so was nir aware he talked that much trash.

Reaction Score
We don't disagree. Any one that's played sports at a high level knows that refs are part of the game. I don't want to extend this deal about the refs having it for out for us. I'll just say-As an athlete or a coach- You have to deal with it and try to get the W. It's not something you can/should take personally to the detriment of the team winning the game.

Reaction Score
Didn’t see this mentioned anywhere but did anyone notice at the end of the game when Newton was shooting free throws - he asked the ref to give him the ball like 10 times? Lol. You could clearly read his lips as he was saying it. I was watching it wondering what that was all about? Maybe he just wanted the game to be over..
Ref iced him

Reaction Score
“Let me shoot” let the man shoot!
Newton is so smart, probably went unnoticed but on one possession with probably 5 minutes left and clock running inbounder rolled ball to him and he drained 6-8 seconds off game clock while shot clock did not start until he touches the ball. Creighton did not allow this again, very intelligent play.

Reaction Score
Ultimately it rests on the league commissioner to end this unprofessional and embarassing officiating. Thus far, she has been out to lunch or totally clueless.
Chief, where is your creighton brief? Always enjoy them

Reaction Score
He probably just didn’t want to lose his feel or rhythm. Players shoot better on the second shot, but maybe not if there’s a 30-second delay.
IMG_4223.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom