New Uconn wbb beat writer | The Boneyard

New Uconn wbb beat writer

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Seeing her Bio, she graduated from University of Maryland in May 2021 and covered Mizzou for the KC Star. Welcome aboard and good luck on the move to Hartford!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Well, practically fresh out of college and into the big time. I hope Geno doesn't intimidate her from doing her job, as Geno doesn't really respond well to young reporters. I would recommend a new picture as she looks like she is in 10th grade. Welcome Lila to the best job in the world, will catch you on your reporting of the Conn. Sun. Good luck .

Reaction Score
Well, practically fresh out of college and into the big time. I hope Geno doesn't intimidate her from doing her job, as Geno doesn't really respond well to young reporters. I would recommend a new picture as she looks like she is in 10th grade. Welcome Lila to the best job in the world, will catch you on your reporting of the Conn. Sun. Good luck .
How do you know that Gino does not respond well to young reporters? What do you mean?
just curious
B&C

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
How do you know that Gino does not respond well to young reporters? What do you mean?
just curious
B&C
He gave a UConn female campus reporter a really hard time because, according to him, she wasn't old enough to ask a question like that. He was very rude to her and there was no reason for that. I believe it was after a loss.

Reaction Score
He gave a UConn female campus reporter a really hard time because, according to him, she wasn't old enough to ask a question like that. He was very rude to her and there was no reason for that. I believe it was after a loss.
Seriously? That was 19 years ago. And a reaction to 1 young reporter. I certainly don't recall a repeat of that since. Hardly the definition of "doesn't really respond well to young reporters".

Reaction Score
Seriously? That was 19 years ago. And a reaction to 1 young reporter. I certainly don't recall a repeat of that since. Hardly the definition of "doesn't really respond well to young reporters".
A couple years ago when Maria had just taken over for Justine? He apologized for it shortly after. Probably every coach has their moments with the press.

Reaction Score
Never said that - was only commenting on your statement about how Geno "doesn't really respond well to young reporters". Don't know why you need to be so negative and confrontational.

Reaction Score
I remember it as being a college kid reporting for the school newspaper and it was just a few years ago. She asked an inappropriate question and Geno was extremely rude. Had her in tears I believe. I think they had some history and Geno just off on her.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I remember it as being a college kid reporting for the school newspaper and it was just a few years ago. She asked an inappropriate question and Geno was extremely rude. Had her in tears I believe. I think they had some history and Geno just off on her.
No, there was no history. Where do people get this stuff? Amanda Alnutt was a reporter for the student paper and Geno just had a bad response to a question after a loss.

Geno apologizes to Amanda Alnutt

The following spring The Daily Campus again made national headlines. The UConn women's basketball team had set a collegiate record for 70 straight victories before losing to Villanova on March 11, 2003 in the Big East championship. In the postgame press conference, a reporter from a New Jersey paper began by asking UConn head coach Geno Auriemma what he would do to make sure the loss did not linger through the NCAA tournament. After Auriemma answered the somewhat-blasphemous question with an equal amount of sarcasm, The Daily Campus beat writer Amanda Alnutt asked a similar follow-up question.

• Alnutt: What are you going to do to make sure that it doesn't happen [again]?
  • Auriemma: You ask a lot of questions that really piss me off. You're too young to ask those questions. Older guys can ask me questions that piss me off. You're too young. You see, this is just a game. It's not the end of the world. But every question you ask is like, 'We should cancel the season now because we lost.' Relax.
  • Alnutt: You don't think you need to do anything to prepare your team for that? They just lost and now they have to go into the NCAA tournament?
  • Auriemma: So what does every game have to do with the rest? We lost a game today. We just won 70 straight. Did that have anything to do with this one?[2]
The clip was replayed on ESPN's SportsCenter repeatedly in the days following and was featured prominently on shows such as ESPN's Pardon the Interruption. Auriemma received plenty of criticism for his handling of the situation. Auriemma would later meet with Alnutt personally and apologize, and also wrote about the incident in his autobiography, remarking that he wished he had spoken to her privately instead of chastising her in front of the press.

Scroll down for this text

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Ok,ok,I get it. That incident just popped into my mind, and yes, it was some time ago. The older you get, the more some things are forgotten, and some things just re-appear in my head. Sorry for the firestorm. I was not aware that he had apologized to her privately, but Nans post proves it did happen. If he had apologized publicly then I would never have brought it up. Still, a kid just out of college getting to write about this iconic program just surprised me. Best luck to her and looking forward to her reporting. No ill will intended.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom