New UCONN Logo. | The Boneyard

New UCONN Logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
All caps. So we are an acronym. Someone fill me in on what UCONN stands for.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's part of the new UCONN identity program. but the new "Husky" logo won't be released until April 18.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
All caps. So we are an acronym. Someone fill me in on what UCONN stands for.

It stands for University of Connecticut. No, it's not an acronym, but I don't accept your rule of when you can use all caps. I think it looks nice.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
It stands for University of Connecticut. No, it's not an acronym, but I don't accept your rule of when you can use all caps. I think it looks nice.
It's not that it looks bad, but there is something to be said for grammar. UCLA stands for something. SDSU, UNLV, whatever. UCONN in all caps is a pet peeve on the level of the singular Huskie instead of Husky.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I hear you, but I still disagree. This is about branding, pure and simple. Now, UConn can refer to itself as "UConn" -- that's the brand name. I don't know whether, in text, they'll capitalize it; probably not. But in a logo, I think it's fine. "University of Connecticut" is all caps too.

Reaction Score
It's not that it looks bad, but there is something to be said for grammar. UCLA stands for something. SDSU, UNLV, whatever. UCONN in all caps is a pet peeve on the level of the singular Huskie instead of Husky.

I get you, and in articles I agree it should always be UConn but for Uniforms and branding it looks ridiculous to use the smaller letters, see below

65_logo_umass.jpg

Reaction Score
The video made me smile. It reminded me of the mythbusters busted/plausible/confirmed signs.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
From the Courant story. I think that 1959 logo is making a comeback.

500x328
I kind of like the 1970's version. the 1960's wouldn't fly for several reasons, particularly given pending gun control legislation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Grammar-checking a wordmark is silly - it's a logo of sorts.

When written in text, you'll still use "UConn" and not "UCONN" - hopefully, the release will convince some media outlets to stop using the outdated stylebook-influenced "U-Conn".

Reaction Score
I thought it would be picture, it looks more like re-branding.

Reaction Score
I am guessing, after that PR, that my pick of fangs bared / foam-at-the-mouth is not going to be it.

Reaction Score
My guess is that you are the only one troubled by this. As a Huskie fan I approve

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The University’s new wordmark provides the basis around which these standards have been developed:
  • UConn Wordmark: The wordmark has been created for institutional and academic use across the University. (Please note: The wordmark should appear as ‘UCONN’ in all capital letters when used as a logo; when using the name of the institution as a word in copy, use ‘UConn.’)
  • UConn Symbol: The oak leaf symbol is a secondary graphic element for the institution.
  • UConn Seal: The oak leaf symbol encircled by the words University of Connecticut 1881 is also a secondary graphic element for the institution.
  • UConn Health Center Logo: The logo for the UConn Health Center is a unique independent brand that should be complemented by the UConn brand while maintaining a distinctive look. The institution must be read as a unit and not a sub-brand of UConn.
  • UConn Colors: The colors of the institution will continue to be navy and white, with red, gray, and metallic serving as accent colors for athletic teams.
A newly revised Graphic Standards Manual, which will contain a full set of resources for various uses, including guidelines on seals, logos, web standards, and more, will be available in June 2013; new guidelines for University stationery will follow in July 2013. As the home of UConn’s web standards, the WebTools site will also soon provide the resources that webmasters need to create and maintain University websites.
The Husky dog remains a secondary graphic element for the institution.
The University community is encouraged, taking into account varied departmental staffing and budgetary circumstances, to convert to the new visual identity standards by June 2014.
So that sheet that was posted in a prior thread was the real deal. I was happy with what we saw there.

Reaction Score
So that sheet that was posted in a prior thread was the real deal. I was happy with what we saw there.

Yeah... You probably got someone whacked for finding it and posting it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom