New school commitments by Transfers | Page 16 | The Boneyard

New school commitments by Transfers

Reaction Score
Any fanbase that has been treated to multiple championships over a period of time will have elements who believe that is their birthright, irrespective of who the current players or coaches are. These folks age in place and become progressively more bitter, accusatory, and vitriolic over time.

Source - I'm from UCLA.
Well said. That explains Volnation. The last sentence.

Reaction Score
Team chemistry means so much. I think Tennessee will have problems early but should have a better team by the time SEC play begins.
Tennessee has a knack for starting strong. And ending disappointing. I still like the mixture of talent they have.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well I hope Yeaney works out well at OSU. I didn't say it was a mistake, just doesn't seem like a big splash to me. If she is a Gabby Hanson type of player for them, that certainly would be a positive. I just think they need to add quite a bit more from the portal to get back to being more competitive in conference.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

She had a hard time getting consistent minutes at UA throughout her career, but he she had a stretch of games she started a few years ago where she looked decent.

I hadn't heard about Jones-Davis going to SJSU. We didn't get to see what she could do this year, the coach didn't play any of the Fr. at UW.

Reaction Score
Tennessee has a knack for starting strong. And ending disappointing. I still like the mixture of talent they have.
Partly due to scheduling. Early on it was Texas and Stanford and rec games as they climbed in the polls. Then...reality kicked in.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As long as this team can stay healthy. I think this has a possible ff team.
Um, 2 main issues with that "possibility":
1. who is the point guard?
2. This team needs to make HUGE strides on limiting turnovers

While I am at, where is the cohesive offensive performance going to come from? I mean no one on the Tennessee staff seems to have an offensive philosophy. I mean, it's as if Pat bequeathed it in her will to ban any Lady Vol team from having a true offensive plan other than to hoist bricks, let the large post players slug their way to rebounds and put backs. Until I see Kelli actually implement a free flowing ball movement and deft passing into her repertoire, I am dubious on any prediction higher than a Sweet 16.

And oh yeah, UConn, SC and Stanford have their core returning AND top prospects coming in. So that leaves 1 measly spot. Color me cynical on Tennesse making it back to the Final Four for the first time since 2008.

Reaction Score
She’s a great missing piece for the Hogs with Goforth’s retirement. Really like this pick up a lot. Neighbors’s wife was Carr’s assistant coach at K State during her Fr year - I wonder if that factored in at all?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Um, 2 main issues with that "possibility":
1. who is the point guard?
2. This team needs to make HUGE strides on limiting turnovers

While I am at, where is the cohesive offensive performance going to come from? I mean no one on the Tennessee staff seems to have an offensive philosophy. I mean, it's as if Pat bequeathed it in her will to ban any Lady Vol team from having a true offensive plan other than to hoist bricks, let the large post players slug their way to rebounds and put backs. Until I see Kelli actually implement a free flowing ball movement and deft passing into her repertoire, I am dubious on any prediction higher than a Sweet 16.

And oh yeah, UConn, SC and Stanford have their core returning AND top prospects coming in. So that leaves 1 measly spot. Color me cynical on Tennesse making it back to the Final Four for the first time since 2008.
I think Powell a true point guard. I think she will handle a lot of that position. The depth will allow Harper to play a lot of players. Unlike this past season with the injuries. I think with Horston and Jackson at the wings. That means teams can't just sag in on Key. That will free her up more also. Yes I know SC, Stanford and UConn have the core returning. All three teams should be on the schedule next year.

Reaction Score
I think Powell a true point guard. I think she will handle a lot of that position. The depth will allow Harper to play a lot of players. Unlike this past season with the injuries. I think with Horston and Jackson at the wings. That means teams can't just sag in on Key. That will free her up more also. Yes I know SC, Stanford and UConn have the core returning. All three teams should be on the schedule next year.
No one is going to routinely guard Horston or Jackson out to the 3 pt line because they are both sub 30% shooters from there. If Powell pans out, then she should be able to get Key more touches. Personally, I think Key has reached her ceiling., which isn't a bad one, but someone else will have to push the team upwards. Rickea just replaces Burrell with less defense. So Pucket, Suarez, Striplin or Pissott have to be consistent. When you look at the roster, including the new personnel...Darby shoots 38% from 3 and 36% overall...meaning worse from 2 point range. How Pissott comes along may determine a lot for TN...and she's a Freshman and unlike in HS...no one in the SEC is going to let her step over halfcourt and start bombing uncontested 3s. In short, TN still has a long range threat problem.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
No one is going to routinely guard Horston or Jackson out to the 3 pt line because they are both sub 30% shooters from there. If Powell pans out, then she should be able to get Key more touches. Personally, I think Key has reached her ceiling., which isn't a bad one, but someone else will have to push the team upwards. Rickea just replaces Burrell with less defense. So Pucket, Suarez, Striplin or Pissott have to be consistent. When you look at the roster, including the new personnel...Darby shoots 38% from 3 and 36% overall...meaning worse from 2 point range. How Pissott comes along may determine a lot for TN...and she's a Freshman and unlike in HS...no one in the SEC is going to let her step over halfcourt and start bombing uncontested 3s. In short, TN still has a long range threat problem.
Well Horston and Jackson can do more than shoot three's. Jackson led the SEC in scoring.

Reaction Score
Well Horston and Jackson can do more than shoot three's. Jackson led the SEC in scoring.
I know, but scoring from the midrange in...doesn't exactly create the room for Key? It doesn't eliminate help on your big. That was my point. Sometimes you lead in scoring because....others around you aren't scoring. With Burrel out...Horston scored a lot, but she took a lot of shots. I doubt anyone on Stanford, SC or UCONN is near the top of the NCAA in scoring because...the offense is supported by multiple scoring threats. No one needs to score 20 a game....even though most of them can.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I know, but scoring from the midrange in...doesn't exactly create the room for Key? It doesn't eliminate help on your big. That was my point. Sometimes you lead in scoring because....others around you aren't scoring. With Burrel out...Horston scored a lot, but she took a lot of shots. I doubt anyone on Stanford, SC or UCONN is near the top of the NCAA in scoring because...the offense is supported by multiple scoring threats. No one needs to score 20 a game....even though most of them can.
Horston also scored with Burrell back. My point was teams know that Horston and Jackson need to be guarded. That can free up other players. Depending on what is happening on the play.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I've been waiting for this. I feel like I'm the only one. Lol. I like it. I thought Florida Gulf Coast made sense but Miami was good this year. Should only make the better

At 5'6", Haley averaged 19.8 ppg and 9.4 rpg. She also led the nation by shooting FTs at .973.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom