New school commitments by Transfers - March 2024 | Page 41 | The Boneyard

New school commitments by Transfers - March 2024

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
How many players can get Delaware WBB to a Sweet 16? Kenny didn't sniff a Sweet 16 until last season when he had a generational talent.

What would you call a player who is only one of three 3-time ACC POY winners in the history of the award? Alana Beard (2002-04), Alyssa Thomas (2012-14), and Liz Kitley (2022-24). Is that not--generational?
I like both Kitley and EDD, but neither is on a USA generational player level. Would you pick EDD over Parker, Stewart, Moore, and Wilson as best player of that generation?

Kitley over Boston, Clark, Brink, Betts, Cardoso, Paige? Kitley may not make it in the WNBA.

EDD was a bit like Morrow at DePaul, of course even better. The best player of her college class, accidentally playing at Delaware. So yes she lifted a normally terrible team to new heights.

Kitley will go down as an all time acc player, but not generational. She did lift tech to top of acc. Is Kitley the best player of her 15 year generation? Probably Boston is better, Brink?

generational comes down to how you define it. Goat is best ever, player of the year, player of the decade, all acc, all American, player of a generation all mean something. I just hate to see generational- which is supposed to mean best player of a 15yr generation, get watered down to mean acc player of the year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
EDD is a 2 time WNBA MVP, led 2 different teams to the Finals. Her career has very much been sidetracked by injuries and ongoing dealing with Lyme's disease. Multiple Olympic gold medals as well. Kitley might be lucky to make a WNBA roster. If I was a gambling man I would put everything on her pro career won't be remotely close to EDD's. Can't put those 2 in the same breath, I don't care how many ACC POY's Kitley won.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nobody said that as an absolute. But--is his? I think so, yes. He wasn't doing much of anything at Virginia Tech (again, zero trips to the NCAA Tournament; horrible ACC record) without a generational player (again, a player who won three ACC POY awards--something that only Alana Beard and Alyssa Thomas have achieved). He did a very good job at James Madison, but they were never a threat to advance beyond the first weekend. So yes, his resume right now is tied to what he accomplished with a generational talent at Virginia Tech. Kentucky didn't care about what he accomplished at James Madison.

Kitley won 3 player of the year awards in FIVE years. Beard and Thomas won playing 4 years. I just gotta point that out.

Reaction Score
I've always seen Kitley in the same league as Elissa Cunane. Great dominant ACC bigs who can probably play in the WNBA after some overseas seasoning similar to Gustaffson. Even Coates(SC), Brown and Cox(Baylor) needed to improve before playing in the WNBA. I would say all of those bigs are comparable. Kitley has a better outside shot than they did coming out of college but I wouldn't consider her above them at this stage in her career.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
013ba0776472c6e27db81d6c3c43fa03.gif

WBBTakeover

Lindsey Harding for Fever head coach
Reaction Score
I like both Kitley and EDD, but neither is on a USA generational player level. Would you pick EDD over Parker, Stewart, Moore, and Wilson as best player of that generation?

Kitley over Boston, Clark, Brink, Betts, Cardoso, Paige? Kitley may not make it in the WNBA.
What are you saying here?

Are you suggesting that EDD is not to be discussed among those mentioned? She is a two-time WNBA MVP, a 2019 WNBA champ, and an Olympic gold medalist from 2016. She has the 50-40-90 season that nobody you listed has accomplished. She may lack the number of titles that those players have, but Candace Parker didn't win a single championship until she was 30 (her last one came at age 37 when she didn't play a minute in the WNBA postseason). EDD won her first when she was 30. She's 35 now, so there's still hope for her to work on that part of her resume.

That said, she would not be my GOAT. That's still CP3 until A'ja Wilson surpasses her in about five years.

No, Kitley is not Boston/Clark territory. She's not in Paige territory. But you're actually saying that she can't be compared to Brink, Betts, and Cardoso? Really. I find that really odd because her resume stacks up well against theirs. Betts has accomplished next to nothing as a college player. Nice sophomore season, but where are the accolades that would lift her in a discussion like this one?

EDD was a bit like Morrow at DePaul, of course even better. The best player of her college class, accidentally playing at Delaware. So yes she lifted a normally terrible team to new heights.
She's nothing like Morrow. Morrow is who she is because of the ridiculous stat padding she did at DePaul. Against SEC talent and size, she struggled due to her lack of physical gifts. EDD is a physical specimen who could have produced at a high level anywhere she landed.

Kitley will go down as an all time acc player, but not generational. She did lift tech to top of acc. Is Kitley the best player of her 15 year generation? Probably Boston is better, Brink?

generational comes down to how you define it. Goat is best ever, player of the year, player of the decade, all acc, all American, player of a generation all mean something. I just hate to see generational- which is supposed to mean best player of a 15yr generation, get watered down to mean acc player of the year.
These statements contradict.

When you have only three players in a conference who accomplish the same fate 10 years apart, what are you supposed to call that?

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
You must be an Elzy stan or something lmao.
Why would I have to be an "Elzy stan" to point out that Kenny Brooks' accomplishments so far have been hollow? She's no longer employed, and rightfully so. But what has he done to make you so sure about his success at Kentucky? And, more importantly, what is he going to bring to Kentucky that others have not accomplished?

You do realize Brooks has brought more talent into the Kentucky program in one month than she did in three years.
That's because Elzy could not recruit and he is a better recruiter than she is. It's not hard to out-recruit Kyra Elzy. Most coaches should be able to do that.

Completely flipped a last place, dead SEC program into what should be top half of the SEC and potentially top 25ish.
Based on what, exactly? Show the metrics so that we can see why he's the man for the job.

His recruiting class he brought over was top 8 with Silva being considered a top Center in the class as an international. Not to mention some really solid pieces to the portal who have every bit of potential to translate will into the SEC with the right coaching. And on top of that one of the best players for next year in Amoore.
So, nothing but potential. Got it.

You are the definition of a complete hater.
This is the go-to for people with no worthy argument.

Reaction Score
Fantastic pickup for Notre Dame. Karlen seems like a great fit for their style of play. ND’s strength is going to be its guard trio but Karlen/Koval/Westbeld will be a great frontcourt lineup in its own right. They’re still quite thin at the post positions though and I think they need to try and land another player or two for depth. Most of the big names are off the table but they’re an injury away from having no backup unless Ivey thinks Bransford or Risch can reliably play inside. But even if they can’t fill a few more spots I think Notre Dame projects as a championship-caliber offensive, defensive, and rebounding team next year.
I agree. Notre Dame is one of the more underrated teams IMO. I really like Koval, I may start her. Karlen is super solid but she's only 6'2 and is not the most athletic. I still really like her and the pickup. I think the only thing Notre dame is missing is a backup post, and maybe a backup point. But roster wise they are up there with anyone if healthy.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score

This is...interesting. Great, great choice academically, but basketball-wise? Eh. Leilani's going to a better defensive team, but I don't see Vanderbilt being good enough in the standings for her to win an SEC DPOY award over anyone nominated from South Carolina (and she's going to find life tough trying to guard the MiLaysia Fulwileys and Flau'jae Johnsons of the SEC). It's also unlikely that she'll develop enough offensively at Vandy to be a WNBA draft pick. Lastly, Vandy's still going to be in bubble territory, so there's no guarantee that she'll play in the NCAA Tournament.

Good luck to her, though. Make that last year count.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What are you saying here?

Are you suggesting that EDD is not to be discussed among those mentioned? She is a two-time WNBA MVP, a 2019 WNBA champ, and an Olympic gold medalist from 2016. She has the 50-40-90 season that nobody you listed has accomplished. She may lack the number of titles that those players have, but Candace Parker didn't win a single championship until she was 30 (her last one came at age 37 when she didn't play a minute in the WNBA postseason). EDD won her first when she was 30. She's 35 now, so there's still hope for her to work on that part of her resume.

That said, she would not be my GOAT. That's still CP3 until A'ja Wilson surpasses her in about five years.

No, Kitley is not Boston/Clark territory. She's not in Paige territory. But you're actually saying that she can't be compared to Brink, Betts, and Cardoso? Really. I find that really odd because her resume stacks up well against theirs. Betts has accomplished next to nothing as a college player. Nice sophomore season, but where are the accolades that would lift her in a discussion like this one?

She's nothing like Morrow. Morrow is who she is because of the ridiculous stat padding she did at DePaul. Against SEC talent and size, she struggled due to her lack of physical gifts. EDD is a physical specimen who could have produced at a high level anywhere she landed.

These statements contradict.

When you have only three players in a conference who accomplish the same fate 10 years apart, what are you supposed to call that?

EDD is among those players, but by almost every measure players like Candace Parker, Breanna Stewart and Maya Moore have had better careers and played around the same time EDD did. I believe I speak for most fans here when I say generational refers to 1 player over a 15ish year period. EDD isn't a generational player if there are 3 options that have clearly had better careers that her. That doesn't take away from all she's accomplished.

Kitley was usually a top 5-10 player in the country throughout her career but was never seriously considered for NPOY. She had a great 5 year career, helping lead VT to their first Final Four in program history and often putting up great numbers. Each year she played college basketball there were several other players who were clearly better than Liz was.

Winning multiple ACC POY awards isn't equivalent to generational greatness though. Look at the SEC as an example. Would you say Rhyne Howard, Adia Mathies and Tiffany Mitchell were better SEC players than Candace Parker or Sylvia Fowles since they won 2 conference POY awards while Candace/Sylvia only won 1? Or that Rhyne/Adia/Tiffany were equivalent on the SEC legends scale to Seimone Augustus, Chamique Holdsclaw or Aliyah Boston? I'd say Kitley's college resume stacks up reasonably well compared to Brink/Cardoso but no one is arguing either of those 2 are generational players.

ACC legend.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

This is...interesting. Great, great choice academically, but basketball-wise? Eh. Leilani's going to a better defensive team, but I don't see Vanderbilt being good enough in the standings for her to win an SEC DPOY award over anyone nominated from South Carolina (and she's going to find life tough trying to guard the MiLaysia Fulwileys and Flau'jae Johnsons of the SEC). It's also unlikely that she'll develop enough offensively at Vandy to be a WNBA draft pick. Lastly, Vandy's still going to be in bubble territory, so there's no guarantee that she'll play in the NCAA Tournament.

Good luck to her, though. Make that last year count.

I think it's a perfect fit, she's joining a defensive minded team and is going to be tested against the best athletes in the country. If she can do a good job defending Fulwiley/Flaujae, it will prove to scouts she's a top rate defender. She'll help fill Cambridge's role perfectly and Vanderbilt will continue to improve as Shea has a lot of talent back and brings in a top 10 recruit. Onward and upward for the Commodores.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I think it's a perfect fit, she's joining a defensive minded team and is going to be tested against the best athletes in the country. If she can do a good job defending Fulwiley/Flaujae, it will prove to scouts she's a top rate defender. She'll help fill Cambridge's role perfectly and Vanderbilt will continue to improve as Shea has a lot of talent back and brings in a top 10 recruit. Onward and upward for the Commodores.
Given her propensity to foul (she fouled out of numerous games in the B1G as an upperclassman), she's going to have a hard time staying on the court in the SEC unless something drastic happens (reduced minutes, much improved defensive IQ, or decreased defensive gambling by her (i.e. concede)). The SEC guards/wings are going to be a problem for her unless she can make a quick adjustment. They can match or, in many cases, exceed her athleticism. I question whether her one year at Vandy will get her where she wants to be in her athletic career. This isn't a move that a WNBA-bound prospect would make.

We'll see. I am skeptical.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
EDD is among those players, but by almost every measure players like Candace Parker, Breanna Stewart and Maya Moore have had better careers and played around the same time EDD did. I believe I speak for most fans here when I say generational refers to 1 player over a 15ish year period. EDD isn't a generational player if there are 3 options that have clearly had better careers that her.
I question this statement. EDD has less Titles, if that is the only metric that matters then so be it. Looking at stats she stacks up just fine against all 3 of these other players. I'm not gonna try to figure out total wins or winning % for all 4 during their careers, but Stewie was on some mediocre Storm teams before Natasha Howard arrived, and LA had some off years while Parker was there as well. Tale of the tape on MVP's is interesting as well. EDD has as many as anybody else on this list. While Stewie very likely will add to her total, the other 2 won't.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
EDD is a 2 time WNBA MVP, led 2 different teams to the Finals. Her career has very much been sidetracked by injuries and ongoing dealing with Lyme's disease. Multiple Olympic gold medals as well. Kitley might be lucky to make a WNBA roster. If I was a gambling man I would put everything on her pro career won't be remotely close to EDD's. Can't put those 2 in the same breath, I don't care how many ACC POY's Kitley won.

Slight oversimplification, but EDD has 2 types of seasons: (1) suffers from injury or illness or (2) is named MVP.

Reaction Score
He doesn't get the Kentucky job without what Liz was able to do for him, and I'm sure he knows that. Allegedly (according to Virginia Tech insiders), he stopped speaking to the young woman (Matilda Ekh) who delivered the pass to Liz Kitley on the fast break that lead to her injuring her ACL. If that doesn't suggest that he knows she made his Virginia Tech career what is was, then I don't know what else does.
Who are these "Virginia Tech insiders"? So Brooks continued to play Ekh in games but he wasn't speaking to her? I don't believe those "Virginia Tech insiders" for a minute. Doesn't sound like Brooks.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I question this statement. EDD has less Titles, if that is the only metric that matters then so be it. Looking at stats she stacks up just fine against all 3 of these other players. I'm not gonna try to figure out total wins or winning % for all 4 during their careers, but Stewie was on some mediocre Storm teams before Natasha Howard arrived, and LA had some off years while Parker was there as well. Tale of the tape on MVP's is interesting as well. EDD has as many as anybody else on this list. While Stewie very likely will add to her total, the other 2 won't.
Her per game pro stats are excellent but she's only really played 8 full seasons in the WNBA due to injury (2014 and 2021) or opting to sit out (2020 and 2024). Comparing her to the other 3:

Parker's success has been similar to EDD's (great stats, her teams have consistently thrived) but she's played in 70% more career games than EDD and has had longer sustained team success, more awards, titles, and her career numbers in the regular season and playoffs dwarf Elena's.

Moore also only played in 8 full seasons, but I'd argue her run was more impressive than EDD's (6 Final Appearances, 4 titles).

Stewart is still in the midst of her career (year 8 upcoming) but is fast tracking an argument as the GOAT (along with A'ja Wilson) if she plays another 5-10 years when you account for titles/awards/team success/individual stats.

All 3 had indisputably better collegiate careers than EDD. EDD is great but I just don't see an argument for her having a better career or being more a "generational talent" than the other 3 even though she's had a brilliant career in her own right.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Moore also only played in 8 full seasons, but I'd argue her run was more impressive than EDD's (6 Final Appearances, 4 titles).
I can't separate Moore's success from the makeup of the teams she was on. Of course she was a huge part of their success, but they were stacked and kept their nucleus together for a long time. Seriously, Whalen, Augustus and Brunson, then Big Syl joined the party. No wonder they kept winning Titles, they had more talent than everybody else.

Would've been interesting to see what would've happened if EDD, Sloot and Fowles had all stayed together in Chicago. I think probably multiple titles (they all won at least one separate from each other), but we'll never know. I don't think any of Washington's teams came close in terms of talent to what Minny had during their championship years.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I can't separate Moore's success from the makeup of the teams she was on. Of course she was a huge part of their success, but they were stacked and kept their nucleus together for a long time. Seriously, Whalen, Augustus and Brunson, then Big Syl joined the party. No wonder they kept winning Titles, they had more talent than everybody else.

Would've been interesting to see what would've happened if EDD, Sloot and Fowles had all stayed together in Chicago. I think probably multiple titles (they all won at least one separate from each other), but we'll never know. I don't think any of Washington's teams came close in terms of talent to what Minny had during their championship years.

Moore definitely hit the jackpot with her teammates and coaching situation in the pros. They were loaded with talent (which has become a pre-requisite to win it all now, unless you're 2012 Tamika Catchings).

Agree about the Sky being a potentially dominant franchise. Fowles and EDD demanded trades which really set the franchise back considerably. I was thrilled for Sloot/Quigley to get the title in 2021, both endured a number of mediocre seasons before it all came together that season.

EDD played with a very good but not stacked roster in 2019. She played with Natasha Cloud, Ariel Atkins, Emma Meesseman (2019 Finals MVP) and Kristi Toliver. 2019 was also a weird WNBA season where 5 of the 7 best teams from the previous year lost arguably their best player to injury or retirement. Reigning champions Seattle were without Bird/Stewart all year, Phoenix lost DT to injury, Atlanta lost Angel McCoughtry to injury, Parker missed part of the year and was never fully healthy for the Sparks, and Minnesota lost Maya Moore (and Lindsay Whalen and Rebekkah Brunson) to retirement. The only top returning teams that had stars healthy were Washington and Connecticut, the two teams who went on to make the finals. That said, I do think the Mystics were set up to be strong title contenders that season even if other teams were fully healthy, but it was sort of an oddity of a season with so much star power out (which would be the case again in 2020's covid bubble season.)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

King was reported to have visited campus the same day that KK Bransford rescinded her entry into the portal and many thought that would end the mutual interest with King. Nope. Looks like the Irish will surround Kate Koval and Maddy Westbeld with a number of slightly undersized but very competent forwards. King brings a rebounding component that the Irish lacked last year.
That also brings the Irish up to 10 active players and a lot of K's (Kate Koval, KK Bransford, King and Karlen).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom