New school commitments by Transfers - March 2024 | Page 40 | The Boneyard

New school commitments by Transfers - March 2024

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
So what would Kentucky's starting lineup be?

Georgia Amoore
Jordan Obi
Dazia Lawrence
Teonni Key
Clara Strack

They do have some highly touted freshman in Lexi Blue and Clara Silva.

IDK. Doesn't really feel like a top 8 team in the SEC respectfully. It would be tough if Amoore is like a 12 seed in the tournament her senior year
I like this team, all the pieces fit. If Obi and Lawrence make smooth move to SEC style, they can be good.

Will be fun to compare cobbled together teams like Kentucky with established teams like Vandy, Miss St etc.

Agree they can be top 8 and make tourney.

Curious about Obi, UConn may have missed an opportunity on that one. Obviously not Beers, but with the idea of just adding a solid 1 year 4 to the mix, would also have been an excellent team cultural fit.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
There you go @Dillon77 ;)
McGraw's Bench is a happy place to sit and post at right now (it's been awhile).

Ms. Karlen is, of course, a forward or -- as Deb Antonelli would say -- an all-around forward; as is Maddy Westbeld.
Along with Kate Koval, those three are the Irish frontcourt, since Kylee Watson is probably out for most of. if not all, the season while recovering from her ACL surgery.

Karlen can match up next to 6'5" incoming freshman center Kate Koval or -- if Coach Ivey wants to go small -- 6'3" Maddy Westbeld, who can play tough in the middle for spells. Not optimal for long periods, but against smaller teams, not an issue.

Very, very pleased to have a seasoned player like this next to Westbeld, Koval and Sonia Citron up front.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Well just call me Silky Johnson

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
There you go @Dillon77 ;)
Fantastic pickup for Notre Dame. Karlen seems like a great fit for their style of play. ND’s strength is going to be its guard trio but Karlen/Koval/Westbeld will be a great frontcourt lineup in its own right. They’re still quite thin at the post positions though and I think they need to try and land another player or two for depth. Most of the big names are off the table but they’re an injury away from having no backup unless Ivey thinks Bransford or Risch can reliably play inside. But even if they can’t fill a few more spots I think Notre Dame projects as a championship-caliber offensive, defensive, and rebounding team next year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Fantastic pickup for Notre Dame. Karlen seems like a great fit for their style of play. ND’s strength is going to be its guard trio but Karlen/Koval/Westbeld will be a great frontcourt lineup in its own right. They’re still quite thin at the post positions though and I think they need to try and land another player or two for depth. Most of the big names are off the table but they’re an injury away from having no backup unless Ivey thinks Bransford or Risch can reliably play inside. But even if they can’t fill a few more spots I think Notre Dame projects as a championship-caliber offensive, defensive, and rebounding team next year.

I've never seen the kid play but based on your post it's best I clear my head instead of thinking about the Irish running amok through the ACC next season.

spongebob.jpg

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I get why Iowa games were selected. But, they are in the Central time zone; that made sense on week nights. Not sure it would make sense for home games at USC or UCLA on week nights if ratings and advertising dollars are the objective.
How early do people go to bed? I'd watch a 10pm ET game on any night of the week if it was a compelling matchup.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
He is? By signing quality players in the portal? I'm not following.
He signed ONE quality player (Georgia Amoore, who he has already coached for four years) and a bunch of "maybes/probably nots".

The midmajor transfer guard plays the same position that his "baby" (GA) plays and is every bit as ball dominant. Teonni Key is the very definition of a bust. Clara Strack may not be as "finesse" as Liz Kitley, but she's also nowhere near as talented. The recruits are unknowns. The Ivy Leaguer is hit or miss.

So, what's the vision? Where is this juggernaut that's supposed to take the SEC by storm? What is he doing? It seems like people go "ooh" and "ahh" every time this man signs a recruit without actually thinking, "is this actually going to work in the SEC"?

Liz Kitley ain't walking through that door. And because of that, I don't see how he's going to be able to compete in a league that's more physical and has more talent than the one he left.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
The thing is, Rueck is such a good coach that he's going to make something out of the players he does get. He's proved that time and time again.....I've watched him turn the program around and even the first year he had the team, with players he didn't recruit after the program was in the dumps, he did an excellent job coaching them up. I think once they're established in the WCC, they will be ok.... Of course, who knows how long any conferences will last going forward with the state of the game these days.
Their commitment now to wcc is 2 years. OSU/WSU still own the PAC league and history, and if they can restore it to at least 8 teams by 26/27 are back in the power 5. (Amazingly, that's the contract). So keep an eye on what they do, of course football is the driver.

There are still 1000 kids in the portal, so Coach Rueck will ultimately field a team. Hopefully his HS recruits hold, he can get a good class next year, and there is quick final resolution on future/end of PAC.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
He just took the job at a program that has struggled. This is an odd mischaracterization based on his resume.
His resume, outside of one generational player (a three-time ACC POY, which has only ever been done by two other women), is fairly thin. Zero trips outside of the first weekend and not one NCAAT berth at a P5 without that one generational player.

Kentucky struggled the last two seasons (everyone knows this), but they do have a very recent SEC Tournament championship and a very recent #1 overall pick in the WNBA (who won two SEC POY awards and was a consensus AA). What is he going to bring to that program that they haven't already had in some capacity?

Reaction Score
His resume, outside of one generational player (a three-time ACC POY, which has only ever been done by two other women), is fairly thin. Zero trips outside of the first weekend and not one NCAAT berth at a P5 without that one generational player.

Kentucky struggled the last two seasons (everyone knows this), but they do have a very recent SEC Tournament championship and a very recent #1 overall pick in the WNBA (who won two SEC POY awards and was a consensus AA). What is he going to bring to that program that they haven't already had in some capacity?
SO...a coach's resume is tied to one player? I think I'm reasonable and fair. So, I consider OTHER factors. Did they elevate the program at the helm...meaning where they were before compared to after. Player development. Did they make players better? Did they grow interest in the game with their fanbase? Most teams without good players (generational or otherwise, don't make it out of the first weekend. Doesn't mean the coach is bad or that they lack vision.

Last edited:

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
SO...a coach's resume is tied to one player?
Nobody said that as an absolute. But--is his? I think so, yes. He wasn't doing much of anything at Virginia Tech (again, zero trips to the NCAA Tournament; horrible ACC record) without a generational player (again, a player who won three ACC POY awards--something that only Alana Beard and Alyssa Thomas have achieved). He did a very good job at James Madison, but they were never a threat to advance beyond the first weekend. So yes, his resume right now is tied to what he accomplished with a generational talent at Virginia Tech. Kentucky didn't care about what he accomplished at James Madison.

He doesn't get the Kentucky job without what Liz was able to do for him, and I'm sure he knows that. Allegedly (according to Virginia Tech insiders), he stopped speaking to the young woman (Matilda Ekh) who delivered the pass to Liz Kitley on the fast break that lead to her injuring her ACL. If that doesn't suggest that he knows she made his Virginia Tech career what is was, then I don't know what else does.

I think I'm reasonable and fair. So, I consider OTHER factors. Did they elevate the program at the helm...meaning where they were before and after. Player development. Did they make players better? Did they grow interest in the game with their fanbase?
Virginia Tech had gone dormant after being a strong program (with great fan support) in the late 90s (under Bonnie Hendrickson) while competing in the Big East. The move to the ACC was a little rough for them, and they cycled through two underperforming coaches until they signed Kenny. Kenny himself struggled until he was able to land Liz Kitley (a talent that neither of the two previous coaches--Dunkenberger or Wolff--were able to land). Liz wasn't as highly ranked as some would've expected, so yes--there had to be player development. By that same token, there had to be a sense that they'd hit the jackpot with a player who may have been underranked.

Most teams without good players (generational or otherwise, don't make it out of the first weekend. Doesn't mean the coach is bad or that they lack vision.
Most midmajor coaches will never coach a first round WNBA player who manages to hang around the league for a decade. He had that at James Madison yet never won an NCAA Tournament game with her (two WNIT appearances and missed the tournament her freshman year).

With the possible exception of Elena Delle Donne, I don't think we've seen a generational talent in recent years miss the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament. They're called generational for a reason.

Edit: Actually, EDD made it as well with the Delaware Blue Hens. They lost in the Sweet 16 to...Kentucky.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

This year, who knows? He over-performed at JMU, he upgraded Virginia Tech (including the good recruits you mention), he can have success at Kentucky. Is he bringing anything they haven't had (before these 2 years) - maybe not.

I'm not assuming a huge success this season, it will depend on recruiting. But to disrespect what is a perfectly respectable record I just don't understand, and to assume a dim future I also don't understand. Virginia Tech wasn't worth being mentioned before he arrived.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
This year, who knows? He over-performed at JMU, he upgraded Virginia Tech (including the good recruits you mention), he can have success at Kentucky. Is he bringing anything they haven't had (before these 2 years) - maybe not.

I'm not assuming a huge success this season, it will depend on recruiting. But to disrespect what is a perfectly respectable record I just don't understand, and to assume a dim future I also don't understand. Virginia Tech wasn't worth being mentioned before he arrived.
Is he bringing with him a two-time SEC POY and #1 overall WNBA draft pick? Very unlikely.

Is he going to be winning SEC championships in the absence of elite players? Very unlikely.

Did he have a winning season in the ACC without a truly elite player (a 6'6 one at that)? No. He arrived at Virginia Tech several years before Liz Kitley did and did not achieve squat in the ACC.

Does he have an elite player at Kentucky? It's hard to say, but I'd say no.

So, what have we learned? You need elite talent to compete for and ultimately win conference titles, especially in a conference like the SEC. When Kenny was able to win conference titles at Virginia Tech, he had truly elite talent. Looking at the current roster, it's hard to see where the "loading up" or knocking it out of the park references come into play. The roster doesn't look promising to me--it looks like a lack of vision. His best player is moving to a new conference that will be more demanding (physically and mentally) on her. She is undersized and not athletic enough to compensate while going up against some great guard/wing talent. The midmajor transfers may not translate to the SEC (it wouldn't be the first that that that's happened), and one of them plays the same position as his best player. The P5 transfer is a flat out bust.

This man isn't some coaching genius just because he won with a generational talent and Kentucky isn't somehow destined for greatness just because they chose him to lead them.

Reaction Score
Nobody said that as an absolute. But--is his? I think so, yes. He wasn't doing much of anything at Virginia Tech (again, zero trips to the NCAA Tournament; horrible ACC record) without a generational player (again, a player who won three ACC POY awards--something that only Alana Beard and Alyssa Thomas have achieved). He did a very good job at James Madison, but they were never a threat to advance beyond the first weekend. So yes, his resume right now is tied to what he accomplished with a generational talent at Virginia Tech. Kentucky didn't care about what he accomplished at James Madison.

He doesn't get the Kentucky job without what Liz was able to do for him, and I'm sure he knows that. Allegedly (according to Virginia Tech insiders), he stopped speaking to the young woman (Matilda Ekh) who delivered the pass to Liz Kitley on the fast break that lead to her injuring her ACL. If that doesn't suggest that he knows she made his Virginia Tech career what is was, then I don't know what else does.

Virginia Tech had gone dormant after being a strong program (with great fan support) in the late 90s (under Bonnie Hendrickson) while competing in the Big East. The move to the ACC was a little rough for them, and they cycled through two underperforming coaches until they signed Kenny. Kenny himself struggled until he was able to land Liz Kitley (a talent that neither of the two previous coaches--Dunkenberger or Wolff--were able to land). Liz wasn't as highly ranked as some would've expected, so yes--there had to be player development. By that same token, there had to be a sense that they'd hit the jackpot with a player who may have been underranked.

Most midmajor coaches will never coach a first round WNBA player who manages to hang around the league for a decade. He had that at James Madison yet never won an NCAA Tournament game with her (two WNIT appearances and missed the tournament her freshman year).

With the possible exception of Elena Delle Donne, I don't think we've seen a generational talent in recent years miss the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament. They're called generational for a reason.

Edit: Actually, EDD made it as well with the Delaware Blue Hens. They lost in the Sweet 16 to...Kentucky.
So you want to return to the 90s during the infancy of his career...and not always as a head coach? Give me a break. There's nothing from that time to the present that supports your statement regarding his vision. And IMO. Kitley is a really good player, but by my standards, not generational. I'm not following all these coaching changes, but amongst them who would have been a better choice? And no disrespect, but I don't do the insider rumor thing. Everybody's an insider of social media detective these days.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
You guys really don't like Kenny Brooks. Generally a coach gets credit for bringing in a top recruit and producing wins with that player. Say Bluder at Iowa, Gottlieb at USC.

EDD a generational player? The term is overused, but it means a 'once in a generation' player, so you get to pick one generational player every 15 years. Will be tough to pick just one from Clark, Paige, Juju etc.

Most recent generational players, choose between Stewie, Wilson, Moore and Candace Parker, but pick one best player of the generation.

24/25 Kentucky. Given Brooks behind 8 ball, I think he's built a top half of Sec team with his v tech followers and transfers adds. Can that team hang with Vanderbilt? We will see.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
No, I don't like Kenny Brooks. Do I think he's a good coach? Yes. Do I think he's had success in his career? Yes. But given what I've learned of his antics while at Virginia Tech (which I won't discuss here), I can do without him. Don't even want him in small doses. Do not wish him well at Kentucky.

Reaction Score
No, I don't like Kenny Brooks. Do I think he's a good coach? Yes. Do I think he's had success in his career? Yes. But given what I've learned of his antics while at Virginia Tech (which I won't discuss here), I can do without him. Don't even want him in small doses. Do not wish him well at Kentucky.
lol...so next time just say...I don't like the guy. :(

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
EDD a generational player? The term is overused, but it means a 'once in a generation' player, so you get to pick one generational player every 15 years. Will be tough to pick just one from Clark, Paige, Juju etc.

Most recent generational players, choose between Stewie, Wilson, Moore and Candace Parker, but pick one best player of the generation.
How many players can get Delaware WBB to a Sweet 16? Kenny didn't sniff a Sweet 16 until last season when he had a generational talent.

What would you call a player who is only one of three 3-time ACC POY winners in the history of the award? Alana Beard (2002-04), Alyssa Thomas (2012-14), and Liz Kitley (2022-24). Is that not--generational?

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
lol...so next time just say...I don't like the guy. :(
How about, "I don't like Kenny Brooks and I don't believe, based on what he's done in his career and what he's done with the roster thus far, that he'll get the job done at Kentucky". Better?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom