NEW RANKINGS ON HOOPGURLZ FOR CLASS OF 2014 | The Boneyard

NEW RANKINGS ON HOOPGURLZ FOR CLASS OF 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
LINK 2014
Players 1-21 all receiving 98 ratings and 22-41 rated 97. Strange.

LINK 2015
Katia Lou listed at 6'2", Kalani Brown listed at 6'4"

Reaction Score
Lots of changes...look forward to the discussion. Gabby is now 15th, Edwards 18th and Ekmark 31st...though they are 2nd, 3rd and 5th respectively at their position.

Reaction Score
Thats way too many recruits listed as a "98".

I noticed it was prepared by Dan Olson. I'm gonna assume this is his personal ratings/ranking then.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

. . . and dozens more at 97, 96, etc. A classic example of grade inflation.

Perhaps the person who did the scoring has a day job as liaison between academic departments and the AD at UNC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
. . . and dozens more at 97, 96, etc. A classic example of grade inflation.

Perhaps the person who did the scoring has a day job as liaison between academic departments and the AD at UNC.

Now now now, that's not a nice thing to say about UNC :rolleyes:

;)

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

I noticed it was prepared by Dan Olson. I'm gonna assume this is his personal ratings/ranking then.
I completely agree. Total grade inflation. He ranks 52 players as 5 star! Just ridiculous. Also, his bio, which was obviously written by himself, is unintentionally funny: LINK.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I completely agree. Total grade inflation. He ranks 52 players as 5 star! Just ridiculous. Also, his bio, which was obviously written by himself, is unintentionally funny: LINK.
He "created a team from its' [sic] inception." That's an interesting way of phrasing it.

Reaction Score
Dan absolutely loves Nared talked about her possibly being #1 overall.

Seen Nared the last 3 years at EOT. She's interesting. She absolutely has all the tools, and shows flashes of brilliance..but she also disappears a lot. I saw her get outplayed by the Stanford recruit this summer too. I think she's too high, though I suppose if the right coach can motivate her, she could be up that high.

Reaction Score
Lots of changes...look forward to the discussion. Gabby is now 15th, Edwards 18th and Ekmark 31st...though they are 2nd, 3rd and 5th respectively at their position.

A few clarifications here.

Previously ESPN was using Hoopgurlz. These are from Dan Olson.
So the ranks are not "changes" from last time; instead it's the switch to a different evaluator.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
This new hoopgurlz evaluation is very recent. The ratings make me scratch my head, but I wonder if the guy doing the evaluations hasn't got everything together quite yet. I'm just glad hoopgurlz isn't going defunct. I think it's good to have different perceptions on player rankings.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Did we ever show interest in Jatarie White? 6'4" center...schools listed are Florida State Seminoles, Florida Gators, Duke Blue Devils, North Carolina Tar Heels, Clemson Tigers, Tennessee Lady Volunteers

just looking at the list, I'd guess she doesn't want to leave the heart of Dixie: the furthest school north is in NC, the furthest school west, by a fair margin, is Tennessee. It's funny how some kids (and parents) feel about "going away" to college. I went hundreds of miles away, as did my kids. I also heard other parents complain that their child was going to college "all the way to Boston". So, there may just be a strong preference for staying in the southeast.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
VG is correct that there is less reranking here than a shifting of ranking service forcing the numbers and movements into some rather unclear and broad changes without defining reasons. Why? Most likely just because there are none other than a different guy and organization's set of eyes. As observers that makes it risky to extrapolate too much from the shifts.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
VG is correct that there is less reranking here than a shifting of ranking service forcing the numbers and movements into some rather unclear and broad changes without defining reasons. Why? Most likely just because there are none other than a different guy and organization's set of eyes. As observers that makes it risky to extrapolate too much from the shifts.
One of the things I found interesting is the bias we've been reading about regarding AAU affiliations, player affiliations, and their respective rankings with the heads of those services who are affiliated as well. So if player A didn't play in a certain event sponsored by whoever, then that player was dropped way down even tho she may be much more talented than kids ahead of her.

Beginning to sound like the men's side. All that's missing is the $ changing hands and the coaches being accused of paying for players. Then again, teams who are hiring AAU coaches of prized prospects is already encroaching on that grey area.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Thanks, P-bear. I like the looks of this player so was wondering....

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
just looking at the list, I'd guess she doesn't want to leave the heart of Dixie: the furthest school north is in NC, the furthest school west, by a fair margin, is Tennessee. It's funny how some kids (and parents) feel about "going away" to college. I went hundreds of miles away, as did my kids. I also heard other parents complain that their child was going to college "all the way to Boston". So, there may just be a strong preference for staying in the southeast.
Your conclusion is sound based on the list, but as you know, these lists change, either because of a change in heart or a more accurate recruiting information. In this case, Jatarie White is now venturing further west, as she is visiting Texas this weekend. Texas already has an excellent 2014 recruiting class, with Brooke McCarty and Ariel Atkins already on board (along with lower ranked Tasia Foman), and they already have a 4-person 2015 class (featuring highly ranked PG Lashann Higgs and F Jordan Hosey).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom