New Practice Video | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New Practice Video

Reaction Score
For sophomore guard Jordan Hawkins, who is expected to have a breakout season, the preseason practices are to refine the off-the-dribble skills he improved on over the summer.

His goal is to win three championships: the Phil Knight Invitational in November, the Big East and the national title in early April.

Hurley agreed, “We’re at that point now where that’s where our sights should be set.”

Alternate free link:

UConn men’s basketball practice gets underway with visit from Jim Calhoun; Sanogo, Jackson Jr. named captains

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
"Obviously the first week is, you're really trying to build a team toughness, and the mentality, a training camp type of mentality," Hurley said "Grueling practice plans or even looking past some things fundamentally that might not be exactly what you want to challenge people, put them in stressful situations and have them have to learn to fight.

"Before you can, you know, play well or win, you got to learn how to fight, fight hard and fight together, and build a camaraderie through a great challenge. So we put these guys through the fire with these practice plans early to try to build a strong, together team."

Alternate free link:

UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley names Adama Sanogo and Andre Jackson captains

I’d like some takeaways on players, but I guess it’s early.

Reaction Score
The Courant's article was a tough read after reading Borges lay everything out nicely.
I don't know if the free links are cutting out something or if the article was edited after, but the Courant article had a lot more detail and some extra interesting nuggets, including about the transfers struggling day one and the quotes from Clingan

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score

A lot of Newton's moves, finishing around the basket, and just being a taller PG/CG reminds me a lot of what I've seen from Castle in highlights. Hopefully how we utilize Newton in the offense this year can be a blueprint for Castle in 23-24 and be one of the more seamless transitions for what's expected to be a pretty big roster turnover heading into that season.

Reaction Score
I don't know if the free links are cutting out something or if the article was edited after, but the Courant article had a lot more detail and some extra interesting nuggets, including about the transfers struggling day one and the quotes from Clingan
The Register article didn't have much in it. It's written by Paul Doyle so maybe there's another one written by Borges coming that will have more details. Probably will be posted tomorrow morning.

Reaction Score
Hard to believe since a lot of those finishes look toughhhhh, but numbers don’t lie!
Think it includes fouls drawn in that figure. He drew a bunch and is absolutely automatic at the line (88% last 2 years). 59% at the rim is quite good, but not Bouknight level.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
A lot of Newton's moves, finishing around the basket, and just being a taller PG/CG reminds me a lot of what I've seen from Castle in highlights. Hopefully how we utilize Newton in the offense this year can be a blueprint for Castle in 23-24 and be one of the more seamless transitions for what's expected to be a pretty big roster turnover heading into that season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

F16C4A3A-0195-4D58-BBE9-DCA7D2CA08D8.jpeg

Hurley looks doubtful. It makes me wonder what Jim is saying. :)

Reaction Score
The Register article didn't have much in it. It's written by Paul Doyle so maybe there's another one written by Borges coming that will have more details. Probably will be posted tomorrow morning.
From Borges.

At least one of those transfers — Diarra — has really opened Hurley's eyes so far.

"Just how his personality has helped," Hurley noted. "His confidence and joy, his self-belief, a real competitive spirit, could be really great for our team. He's not a guy you have to try to talk into playing well. He thinks he's the best player on the court every time he gets on the court. You just know he's going to have a role that's going to really impact the team."

Alternate free link:

How UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley will manage roster built entirely with his recruits

Reaction Score
From Borges.

At least one of those transfers — Diarra — has really opened Hurley's eyes so far.

"Just how his personality has helped," Hurley noted. "His confidence and joy, his self-belief, a real competitive spirit, could be really great for our team. He's not a guy you have to try to talk into playing well. He thinks he's the best player on the court every time he gets on the court. You just know he's going to have a role that's going to really impact the team."

Alternate free link:

How UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley will manage roster built entirely with his recruits

Not surprised Hurley loves Diarra's energy and activity on defense. Definitely the other end where he has some of the same limitations as Gilbert is the question mark.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe he was talking about pushing the ball as in fast break?
“Danny why the eph are you going with the hard hedge all the time? You are going to be running these big guys ragged and then just get beat back door. You’ve got to mix it up a little bit.”

Reaction Score
How great is it that he's there! or was yesterday anyway.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not surprised Hurley loves Diarra's energy and activity on defense. Definitely the other end where he has some of the same limitations as Gilbert is the question mark.
My favorite quote:

"My favorite type of player is guys that are excellent players, guys that make the game look easy, incredible talents at the offensive end," Hurley said. "That's my No. 1 favorite. No. 2 is guys that go hard like (Diarra) does. He goes hard. He's got to be a little more cerebral with some things. As attacking and aggressive as he is, he's probably got a little more cerebral (playing) to the attack. But I'll take it all day long. He's all over the court. He pops when you watch his play."

Reaction Score
Another article from The Day about Hawkins and Newton.

Since the season ended last March, Hawkins has been working on his ballhandling, moves off the dribble, playmaking and defensive skills.

“I’m trying to become a two-way player,” he said.

Hurley is in favor of that happening. He wants Hawkins to be more than just player with a sweet looking jump shot.

“We need him to play both ends of the court,” Hurley said. “But we just want him to be as prolific a scorer/shooter as he can be this year. Anything that he gets a look at, we want him firing.”

Alternate free link:

Newton, Hawkins building chemistry on and off the basketball court at UConn

Reaction Score
Another article from The Day about Hawkins and Newton.

Since the season ended last March, Hawkins has been working on his ballhandling, moves off the dribble, playmaking and defensive skills.

“I’m trying to become a two-way player,” he said.

Hurley is in favor of that happening. He wants Hawkins to be more than just player with a sweet looking jump shot.

“We need him to play both ends of the court,” Hurley said. “But we just want him to be as prolific a scorer/shooter as he can be this year. Anything that he gets a look at, we want him firing.”

Alternate free link:

Newton, Hawkins building chemistry on and off the basketball court at UConn

Point guard remains hazy.

Newton working on nuance of PG position, but said coach wanted PG (Newton) and SG (Hawkins) to room together. But also from yesterday, Hurley is envisioning Jackson facilitating and Newton and Hawkins as scoring wings.

Seems likely Newton will be point guard in starting lineup (and likely bring the ball up after made baskets), but Jackson will be in charge of a lot of facilitating and run a lot of ball screens in half court. Cole played off ball a decent amount, so this isn't a huge change for our offense or anything, and this seems to mostly track with previous comments Hurley has made (and how Newton has played in the past).

Reaction Score
I really don’t understand the consternation over point guard at this point in the season. We have a lot of quality players, and guards who have done this. It won’t be until we actually play quality teams that we find out anything for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom