New lawsuit problems for Tennessee - violation of Title IX policies... | The Boneyard

New lawsuit problems for Tennessee - violation of Title IX policies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse, a new lawsuit filed by a group of women at Tennessee alleges that "the University of Tennessee has violated Title IX policies and created a "hostile sexual environment" through a policy of indifference toward sexual assaults by student-athletes."

New lawsuit

Not a lot of info in the article. Lawsuit claims that "Tennessee's policies made students more vulnerable to sexual assault and had a "clearly unreasonable response" after incidents that caused the women making complaints to endure additional harassment. The suit also states the university interfered with the disciplinary process to favor male athletes".

Given the very public coaching problems of Holly, one has to wonder if the constant negative barrage of publicity for the University itself, vis-a-vis how female students are treated, will impact future recruits for the Tennessee hoops program...

This reported the same day the LVols self reported 3 recruiting violations - just another body blow to the program...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The UCONN lawsuit was settled almost 2 years ago. This is a brand new lawsuit for Tennessee. I have no idea when the Baylor lawsuit was settled, or if it's a current case. FYI there were over 67 institutions under investigation by the Education Department's Office for Civil Rights.

Not sure if you are trying to lump UCONN into the same category as Tennessee, but your implication seems to be that they are the same. Having one filed and settled almost 2 years ago (in 2014) is far different from one being filed today in 2016.

Certainly didn't hurt UCONN's recruiting as we landed Chong, Edwards, Williams, Nurse, Collier, Boykin and Samuelson during (or shortly after) that time frame. It remains to be seen how it impacts Tennessee, if at all.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Given the very public coaching problems of Holly, one has to wonder if the constant negative barrage of publicity for the University itself, vis-a-vis how female students are treated, will impact future recruits for the Tennessee hoops program...
Certainly didn't hurt UCONN's recruiting as we landed Chong, Edwards, Williams, Nurse, Collier, Boykin and Samuelson during (or shortly after) that time frame. It remains to be seen how it impacts Tennessee, if at all.
Eric I am not following your circular logic here, probably because I don't agree. A new Law suit might impact TN's recruiting but a settled law suit did not impact UCONN recruiting? How would one go about determining if either lawsuit impacted recruiting at either institution? Keep in mind that Chong, Edwards, Williams, Nurse, Collier, Boykin and Samuelson were not the only UCONN recruiting targets in '13-'15.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Eric I am not following your circular logic here, probably because I don't agree. A new Law suit might impact TN's recruiting but a settled law suit did not impact UCONN recruiting? How would one go about determining if either lawsuit impacted recruiting at either institution? Keep in mind that Chong, Edwards, Williams, Nurse, Collier, Boykin and Samuelson were not the only UCONN recruiting targets in '13-'15.
Good points. I might add I've been feeling something coming for awhile in that direction. I've also a bad feeling coming from Baylor. I don't know what, but something is making the hair on the back of my neck sizzle. Have you heard anthing?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Good points. I might add I've been feeling something coming for awhile in that direction. I've also a bad feeling coming from Baylor. I don't know what, but something is making the hair on the back of my neck sizzle. Have you heard anthing?
I have heard nothing (positive or negative) with regards to recruiting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maybe you are right - I can't speak to the reasons why players UCONN was after, especially the post prospects like McCall and Cox chose to go elsewhere. Perhaps the lawsuit at UCONN from 2013-2014 had an impact on that. But given that at the time, Edwards was a top 10 kid, Williams was #2 per one service, Nurse is clearly a top 10 kid and KLS/Collier were top 5'ish kids, it seems like UCONN weathered it for the most part unscathed.

Tenn struck out in recruiting for 2016. They don't have anyone yet in 2017 (most schools don't), but they were supposedly leading for at least 1 elite recruit - post player Kushkutuah. The fact that Tenn has stunk up the joint this year can't help in recruiting, and this new lawsuit seems like just more bad publicity for the program. It's totally possible it already impacted UCONN but Tennessee is in a more desperate position than UCONN is. I guess my point was it seems like Geno and UCONN absorbed the bad publicity for our lawsuit. Not sure if Tennessee will be able to do the same...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe you are right - I can't speak to the reasons why players UCONN was after, especially the post prospects like McCall and Cox chose to go elsewhere. Perhaps the lawsuit at UCONN from 2013-2014 had an impact on that. But given that at the time, Edwards was a top 10 kid, Williams was #2 per one service, Nurse is clearly a top 10 kid and KLS/Collier were top 5'ish kids, it seems like UCONN weathered it for the most part unscathed.

Tenn struck out in recruiting for 2016. They don't have anyone yet in 2017 (most schools don't), but they were supposedly leading for at least 1 elite recruit - post player Kushkutuah. The fact that Tenn has stunk up the joint this year can't help in recruiting, and this new lawsuit seems like just more bad publicity for the program. It's totally possible it already impacted UCONN but Tennessee is in a more desperate position than UCONN is. I guess my point was it seems like Geno and UCONN absorbed the bad publicity for our lawsuit. Not sure if Tennessee will be able to do the same...
IMO the lawsuits did not and will not have any impact on recruiting for either UCONN or TN. I was much more concerned about the innuendo that the lawsuits did have an impact because that is not something that can be proven. Despite being mired in scandal and pending NCAA punishments UNC is brining in a class of 7 top 200 kids (of the 7:2 are top 50) in '16. In '15 UNC brought in 3 top 20 kids one being by transfer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The issues expressed in these lawsuits seem to be nationwide and few if any schools have covered themselves in roses in regard to them. So I do not think they represent a serious plus/minus in recruiting. Individual major scandals are a different matter as are NCAA sanctions, but those are pretty rare and their effect on particular teams within an athletic department are varied.
Did the TN issues with the lawsuits regarding the consolidation of men's and women's departments have an effect - I doubt it. And I doubt this one will either. The coach, the style of play of the current team, and the interactions on campus visits are all much more immediate to recruits. And the academic standing of a school is more important to parents than any particular academic 'scandal' even one as vast as the UNC one.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The issues expressed in these lawsuits seem to be nationwide and few if any schools have covered themselves in roses in regard to them. So I do not think they represent a serious plus/minus in recruiting. Individual major scandals are a different matter as are NCAA sanctions, but those are pretty rare and their effect on particular teams within an athletic department are varied.
Did the TN issues with the lawsuits regarding the consolidation of men's and women's departments have an effect - I doubt it. And I doubt this one will either. The coach, the style of play of the current team, and the interactions on campus visits are all much more immediate to recruits. And the academic standing of a school is more important to parents than any particular academic 'scandal' even one as vast as the UNC one.
I tend to agree. But... when you look at the awful performance by a team of AA's, very public chemistry problems (even recruits have mentioned it when visiting Tennessee), recruiting violations, and now the lawsuit - it's a lot of "body blows" so to speak...

Reaction Score
IMO the lawsuits did not and will not have any impact on recruiting for either UCONN or TN. I was much more concerned about the innuendo that the lawsuits did have an impact because that is not something that can be proven. Despite being mired in scandal and pending NCAA punishments UNC is brining in a class of 7 top 200 kids (of the 7:2 are top 50) in '16. In '15 UNC brought in 3 top 20 kids one being by transfer.
Won't argue the merits or lack of as far as these lawsuits and recruit impact is concerned. The UNC situation seems rather unique. The exodus of the 4 kids that came in together is significant evidence of what the risk is for UNC recruits. I might guess without knowing any of the 7 who are coming in that they are effectively saying I'll take a chance in part because the NCAA has been dragging its' feet or what....5 years now on doing anything meaningful on this case. At the rate it is not going anywhere maybe the reruits think they can graduate before anything happens. Of course the more likely thought process is that the NCAA will allow any and all student athletes to transfer without penalty or sitting out time should they (NCAA) get their heads out of their collective butt cheeks and slam UNC as they should be. Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom