NEW COMMIT | The Boneyard

NEW COMMIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Lyle McCombs has zero receptions on the year. We need an all-purpose back who can add versatility to the offense. Marriner gives us that. He's a quality get.

The O-line has two decent commits, Tommy Hopkins and Kyle Schafenacker. We need a couple more o-linemen. We have a few highly ranked high school linemen considering us and will also likely take one or two older linemen from JUCO or Div II. But an o-line isn't built in a single year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Lyle McCombs has zero receptions on the year. We need an all-purpose back who can add versatility to the offense. Marriner gives us that. He's a quality get.

The O-line has two decent commits, Tommy Hopkins and Kyle Schafenacker. We need a couple more o-linemen. We have a few highly ranked high school linemen considering us and will also likely take one or two older linemen from JUCO or Div II. But an o-line isn't built in a single year.

Thanks for the info. I agree that in a single year, the line is what it is. But I also think a line can turn around dramatically from one year to the next. Given the nature of the beast, The lines (both O and D) taken as a whole are typicaly greater than the sum of the parts.

pj

Reaction Score
Well, we lose Masters and Bennett, and Bryan who was one of the more talented newcomers last year had to leave. The young o-linemen on the roster were not highly rated out of high school. GDL wouldn't be my first choice for o-line coach. But, we shall see. I hope it does develop into a strength.

Reaction Score

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mccombs_lyle00.html

I'm seeing that he has 14 on the year and had 19 last year. I don't think that's because he can't catch, I think it's because we mainly run him between the tackles. It seems a back like him would do well catching swing passes and such against a more spread out D. He's averaging 10 yards per completion, and they're on lower risk throws, so you'd think we'd try to work more of that in.

pj

Reaction Score
You're right, my bad. He's had 2-3 receptions a game. For some reason I miss those. Maybe a run between the tackles causes me to miss the next play.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mccombs_lyle00.html

I'm seeing that he has 14 on the year and had 19 last year. I don't think that's because he can't catch, I think it's because we mainly run him between the tackles. It seems a back like him would do well catching swing passes and such against a more spread out D. He's averaging 10 yards per completion, and they're on lower risk throws, so you'd think we'd try to work more of that in.

Getting him in space would seem to be a good idea.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Well, we lose Masters and Bennett, and Bryan who was one of the more talented newcomers last year had to leave. The young o-linemen on the roster were not highly rated out of high school. GDL wouldn't be my first choice for o-line coach. But, we shall see. I hope it does develop into a strength.
I gotta tell you my feelings here, Bennett has been mosty sizzle, no steak over the past 3+ years. Yes, he's been nagged by injuries, but staying healthy is just as big a skill factor as footwork and reaction time.

In regards to Masters, I refer back to a comment attributed to Coach Pasqualoni after the UMass game, "
"We had a lot of movement," Pasqualoni said. "We had planned to do that. [Senior guard and captain] Adam Masters played three different positions..."

In other words, versatility does not always mean dominance. Stephon Heyer could play multiple O-Line positions for the Washington Redskins, but he was below average at best at all of them. He was cut by the Jets earlier this year in training camp. What does that tell you? Tim Wakefield could start, close, and pitch middle relief. He was never the best pitcher on the Red Sox.

pj

Reaction Score
I gotta tell you my feelings here, Bennett has been mosty sizzle, no steak over the past 3+ years. Yes, he's been nagged by injuries, but staying healthy is just as big a skill factor as footwork and reaction time.

In regards to Masters, I refer back to a comment attributed to Coach Pasqualoni after the UMass game, "
"We had a lot of movement," Pasqualoni said. "We had planned to do that. [Senior guard and captain] Adam Masters played three different positions..."

In other words, versatility does not always mean dominance. Stephon Heyer could play multiple O-Line positions for the Washington Redskins, but he was below average at best at all of them. He was cut by the Jets earlier this year in training camp. What does that tell you? Tim Wakefield could start, close, and pitch middle relief. He was never the best pitcher on the Red Sox.

Nevertheless they're 2 of the best 5 we have.

Reaction Score

Never mind.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Nevertheless they're 2 of the best 5 we have.
...and we come back around, full circle...

Reaction Score

The reason we haven't been successful in getting a RB running free outside the tackles on short passes and/or runs out of the backfield, is not for lack of trying.

Reaction Score

I agree! Let's run Max and Hyppolite up the gut and have them take it outside once in a blue to catch the D off balance. The same with McCombs and Williams run both of them off tackle (get them into space) and once in awhile run them up the gut, again, to keep the D off balance! I think all us BY's kinda have an idea of how the backs should be used... I don't see how DeLeone is having a hard time with them!

Husky25

Reaction Score
The reason we haven't been successful in getting a RB running free outside the tackles on short passes and/or runs out of the backfield, is not for lack of trying.
Don't mistake activity (or effort) for achievement.

Reaction Score

I think that zone blocking should be simplified. I don't see why the duties was handed to DeLeone... In my opinion the O-Line is worse than last year, but let see what happens I guess! I been saying this for six weeks hoping I see something different. :confused:

Reaction Score
I think that zone blocking should be simplified. I don't see why the duties was handed to DeLeone... In my opinion the O-Line is worse than last year, but let see what happens I guess! I been saying this for six weeks hoping I see something different. :confused:

Zone blocking simplified? What's more simple than zone blocking?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
We should probably welcome the young man to the program before we get too far off topic.

Welcome, Josh!!

Reaction Score
Faux blocking. Ha. I like that.

Look at that faux blocking technique from that guy! Wow!!

Reaction Score

One thing I can say about PP is that he's bringing in good size! the kid is 5'9, 5'10 188-190 lbs in high school!

This kid runs hard... He moved the whole football team for about 5-10 yards!

Reaction Score
Well it's obviously not working for us!

Everybody's got their reasons for our offensive ineptitude so far. Nothing changes the fact, that the only thing lacking in this program right now, is 11 players on offense that can take the field at the same time, and both engage, and sustain blocks through an entire play start to finish, the majority of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom