New Comments from Geno Re Short Bench | The Boneyard

New Comments from Geno Re Short Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The Hartford Courant had a long article by Paul Doyle entitled "Auriemma Digging For Depth" on this very subject today. I would link it but it seems that most of you can't use Courant links anyway. Anyway, here are some key quotes from Geno:

"You're not going to play here at Connecticut until you prove to me that you're ready and that we can trust you. And if you can't, then you're not going to play. I don't care what your reputation is coming out of high school." (Listening, Crystal?). "I don't care if you're a nice kid, a great kid, you're an A student; it doesn't matter." (That would be you, Kyla and Molly.). "You come here and you're ready and you're ready to play and everyday in practice you earn it, like Kia Nurse did as a freshman or a lot of these other guys did as freshmen, then you're going to play a lot."

Also: "There's a reason why our fourth quarters are so bad. Either we're getting tired or we have people on the floor that can't score. There's a reason why in the first and third quarters, we blow everybody out. We almost never win the fourth quarter. Either we have to slow it down because we're exhausted or we've subbed and we can't put points on the board."

I think there are a few conclusions to be drawn here that seem to differ from the Boneyard consensus: (A) He is not wedded to a short bench -- he will play as many people as, in his estimation, earn the right to play. (B) He recognizes that the shortness of the current bench is a problem that needs to be fixed. (C) Apparently the key problem with the current bench players is their offense, not their defense.

I adhere to my view that the players in question (including Crystal and Natalie as well as Kyla and Molly) will get increased minutes during the AAC schedule, and that by tournament time, they will get more minutes per game than they got during November and December.

The article also mentioned that Geno had recently pointed out to the freshmen that Gabby Williams didn't play much as a freshman during the final three games of the NCAA tournament. That was obviously not due to a shortage of talent; it was a shortage of focus and understanding of the offense and defense -- a defect which was always curable and has now been cured.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Hartford Courant had a long article by Paul Doyle entitled "Auriemma Digging For Depth" on this very subject today. I would link it but it seems that most of you can't use Courant links anyway. Anyway, here are some key quotes from Geno:

"You're not going to play here at Connecticut until you prove to me that you're ready and that we can trust you. And if you can't, then you're not going to play. I don't care what your reputation is coming out of high school." (Listening, Crystal?). "I don't care if you're a nice kid, a great kid, you're an A student; it doesn't matter." (That would be you, Kyla and Molly.). "You come here and you're ready and you're ready to play and everyday in practice you earn it, like Kia Nurse did as a freshman or a lot of these other guys did as freshmen, then you're going to play a lot."

Also: "There's a reason why our fourth quarters are so bad. Either we're getting tired or we have people on the floor that can't score. There's a reason why in the first and third quarters, we blow everybody out. We almost never win the fourth quarter. Either we have to slow it down because we're exhausted or we've subbed and we can't put points on the board."

I think there are a few conclusions to be drawn here that seem to differ from the Boneyard consensus: (A) He is not wedded to a short bench -- he will play as many people as, in his estimation, earn the right to play. (B) He recognizes that the shortness of the current bench is a problem that needs to be fixed. (C) Apparently the key problem with the current bench players is their offense, not their defense.

I adhere to my view that the players in question (including Crystal and Natalie as well as Kyla and Molly) will get increased minutes during the AAC schedule, and that by tournament time, they will get more minutes per game than they got during November and December.

The article also mentioned that Geno had recently pointed out to the freshmen that Gabby Williams didn't play much as a freshman during the final three games of the NCAA tournament. That was obviously not due to a shortage of talent; it was a shortage of focus and understanding of the offense and defense -- a defect which was always curable and has now been cured.
Hmmm, here's more context, without the editorial comments inserted by the OP. The actual text from the article is in italics. (link to article)

Auriemma has been waiting for the freshmen to demand more playing time based on their performance. He recently pointed out to the freshmen that Gabby Williams didn't play much as a freshman in the final three games of the NCAA Tournament.

"You're not going to play here at Connecticut until you prove to me that you're ready and that we can trust you," Auriemma said. "And if you can't, then you're not going to play. I don't care what your reputation is coming out of high school. I don't care if you're a nice kid, a great kid, you're an A student, it doesn't matter. You come here and you're ready and you're ready to play and everyday in practice you earn it, like Kia Nurse did as a freshman or a lot of these other guys did as freshmen, then you're going to play a lot."

Will this year's freshmen earn minutes?

"Absolutely," Auriemma said. "They're competitive. They want to play.
"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@JoePgh I don't find any "new" in these comments clearly the comments are directed at this bench. I also don't believe that the Boneyard ever achieved consensus about more playing for anyone because many of us understood the standard of earning Geno's trust. Come to think of it I'm not sure Boneyard ever achieved consensus on anything.
Strangely enough we have been here before, Kiah Stokes was a all world class defender but the offense bogged down at times with her.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
There is a subtle difference between a shortage of personnel during the regular season and choosing to play fewer players in the tournament. The article linked in the OP addresses the first point, but not the second.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, here's more context, without the editorial comments inserted by the OP. The actual text from the article is in italics. (link to article)

Auriemma has been waiting for the freshmen to demand more playing time based on their performance. He recently pointed out to the freshmen that Gabby Williams didn't play much as a freshman in the final three games of the NCAA Tournament.

"You're not going to play here at Connecticut until you prove to me that you're ready and that we can trust you," Auriemma said. "And if you can't, then you're not going to play. I don't care what your reputation is coming out of high school. I don't care if you're a nice kid, a great kid, you're an A student, it doesn't matter. You come here and you're ready and you're ready to play and everyday in practice you earn it, like Kia Nurse did as a freshman or a lot of these other guys did as freshmen, then you're going to play a lot."

Will this year's freshmen earn minutes?

"Absolutely," Auriemma said. "They're competitive. They want to play.
"

Gee---I thought Geno was blinded by his love for this team.
Apparently he doesn't need all the help we've been giving him by dissecting the abilities and inabilities of his first 2 off the bench.
Yet the speech has a ring of repetitiveness to it. Seems like one we fans hear this almost as an annual event about this time.
Some of the comments Byer make about incoming players come from annual articles of this kind from GEno.

Reaction Score
I think most/all of the BY'ers have followed Geno's way of coaching and the team long enough to know that you earn your playing time through practice. Although this article was good reading material, he didn't say anything new or something we didn't know. Crystal and Natalie have played against top notch competition. Kyla and Molly I believe are not ready yet but their playing time and chance to show that they can compete is coming. I say "stay tuned" :)

Reaction Score
The lack of Scoring in the fourth quarter isn't hard to determine. The solution is much greater and held in the hands of Geno and his staff. One solid little rascal---who was confidence itself against Baylor, --now is tentative--why?

Reaction Score
@JoePgh I don't find any "new" in these comments clearly the comments are directed at this bench. I also don't believe that the Boneyard ever achieved consensus about more playing for anyone because many of us understood the standard of earning Geno's trust. Come to think of it I'm not sure Boneyard ever achieved consensus on anything.
Strangely enough we have been here before, Kiah Stokes was a all world class defender but the offense bogged down at times with her.
And Yet Kiah is a solid pro in scoring and defense---hmmmmmm?

Reaction Score
I think most/all of the BY'ers have followed Geno's way of coaching and the team long enough to know that you earn your playing time through practice. Although this article was good reading material, he didn't say anything new or something we didn't know. Crystal and Natalie have played against top notch competition. Kyla and Molly I believe are not ready yet but their playing time and chance to show that they can compete is coming. I say "stay tuned" :)
This dissertation by Geno was focused on ALL other than the top 4. He knows he needs to light a fire under them--and he knows most of those 5 can score--but don't. All should be ready and willing to take the open shot and not defer or wait for one of the big 4 to shoot. in the Thread what would you tell this team they are good and need work (paraphrasing) i said i'd tell Chong to take the open shot that really goes for the 5 above. Open shots don't come often--so take them when you see them but make 'em

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

That last paragraph is misleading: there is NO ONE on the present Uconn bench with the ability that Gabby has. You cannot compare her status last year to the people on the bench this year. If anyone disagrees, tell me who, on the present bench, has more talent than Gabby had(has)?

Reaction Score
Geno will have no concerns next year. The short bench was part bad luck of people not panning out. Ekmark, Boykin and Edwards.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That last paragraph is misleading: there is NO ONE on the present Uconn bench with the ability that Gabby has. You cannot compare her status last year to the people on the bench this year. If anyone disagrees, tell me who, on the present bench, has more talent than Gabby had(has)?
Different positions but IMO Crystal as a PG has more talent than Gabby does as either a F or a G.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I think the bench could be given the opportunity to build some trust when the team has a 35 point lead. Mid-third quarter on was a little uncomfortable for me to watch.

Reaction Score
I think Kia should look to score more.
I agree, but one of my favorite aspects of her game is her willingness to make the extra pass. She's just as happy to get an assist as she is to score, and that's invaluable. We saw it - I think twice, though it may only have been once - against UCF when the announcers said that she could have shot and easily made (as she was wide open) the basket but instead chose to pass it to Saniya. Alas, I do hope she looks to score more.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Geno will have no concerns next year. The short bench was part bad luck of people not panning out. Ekmark, Boykin and Edwards.
I have wondered at various times whether Ekmark would play much on this team. While I can see her being helpful in certain situations, I'm not sure she would be getting all that much playing time if she were here. And next year she would not.

Boykin is the one that hurts, from the standpoint of what it looked like she might have been, compared with what the needs are.

As you say, it's largely moot next year. (although we don't want Azura getting hurt)

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
The lack of Scoring in the fourth quarter isn't hard to determine. The solution is much greater and held in the hands of Geno and his staff. One solid little rascal---who was confidence itself against Baylor, --now is tentative--why?
She's a freshman who's one semester into her collegiate career, that's why. Many of the greatest players in program history - Stewie, DT, Shea, Tina, I could go on - were inconsistent and unreliable much of their freshman campaign. In fact, the only exception that pops to mind is Maya.

Reaction Score
It is not talent but trust that Geno is talking about.

Reaction Score
It is not talent but trust that Geno is talking about.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She's a freshman who's one semester into her collegiate career, that's why. Many of the greatest players in program history - Stewie, DT, Shea, Tina, I could go on - were inconsistent and unreliable much of their freshman campaign. In fact, the only exception that pops to mind is Maya.
I would offer another explanation of Danger's confidence vs Baylor and her occasionally tentative performance more recently.

Against Baylor, Danger did exactly what she did in HS, she took the ball and scored. Her play was instinctive. I felt the same way watching Slocum from MD the other night against the Huskies.

Danger is now being asked to run UConn's offense when she is on the floor. You can almost see her thinking what to do, and that makes her tentative. In time, running the UConn offense will become instinctive for Danger, and when that day arrives, it's going to be a lot of fun to see, unless you're a UConn opponent.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Boykin and Edwards did not stay long enough to attempt to earn playing time
Different circumstances but both players had adequate opportunity to earn playing time.
D'Janae left the program on December 15th that was 11 full games into UCONN's season. Plenty of close games at ND and Depaul, Florida State. But there were also plenty of blowouts Kansas State + 40, tOSU + 44, Nebraska +42 and ample opportunity for D'Janae to earn playing time- I though there was talk that her hand may have not been completely healed from HS injury. Similar Situation for Sadie who was gone by Christmas time also 11 games into the season. Close games against Stanford and ND and blowouts against UC Davis, Charleston +61.

Reaction Score
CocoHusky, you are wrong. Gabby had two surgeries on her knee, was a high school guard and is now a 5'11" center on the Number 1 team in women's college basketball. Nobody plays harder than Gabby, and not only does she defend much bigger centers, when needed she will guard the other team's best guard. No way Crystal has more talent at any position.

Reaction Score

Tina,Stewie---i agree. Tina needed a lot of work for nearly3 years. DT had one bad game even in her BAD game she was confidence threw up 14 blanks, that's confidence--in the dictionary under confidence--is her picture. Shea, I saw all her games--she always amazed me with the strength and confidence she projected, and tough--i doubt Uconn ever had one tougher. She and Sveta were a pleasure to watch. Except for 2 injuries---which slowed her down--she was exceptional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom