NEVER play TENN again | The Boneyard

NEVER play TENN again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
After last nites debacle with Jackson and Edwards and the way the game was called I dont think UConn should ever play Tenn again. Those of you who have been around and know the history from past years well this for me is the last straw. Genos half time interview was right on and has been building up for years. Those of you who think not read my post in the postgame thread. Those of you who disagree with me dont know what has been going on for years with Tenn. We are lucky Aaliyah wasnt injured. The refs reviewed the call and call a double T. IMO Jackson shouldve been thrown out of the game for un sportsman like contact and threat to injury when she rammed Edwards when she was on top of her and Edwards was trying to get up. I am really angry over last nites game. This should be the end of the Tenn series and it is something that shouldve never been restarted. This would bring a new meaning to GO Ladyvols. Please just GO.

Reaction Score
So true. They just thought they would bully them. Which for one quarter they did, but the rest was uconn punching them. And all the disrespect, to the girls. No we don't need them they need us. Not worth it. Pat would not of put up with that kind of crap.

Reaction Score
After last nites debacle with Jackson and Edwards and the way the game was called I dont think UConn should ever play Tenn again. Those of you who have been around and know the history from past years well this for me is the last straw. Genos half time interview was right on and has been building up for years. Those of you who think not read my post in the postgame thread. Those of you who disagree with me dont know what has been going on for years with Tenn. We are lucky Aaliyah wasnt injured. The refs reviewed the call and call a double T. IMO Jackson shouldve been thrown out of the game for un sportsman like contact and threat to injury when she rammed Edwards when she was on top of her and Edwards was trying to get up. I am really angry over last nites game. This should be the end of the Tenn series and it is something that shouldve never been restarted. This would bring a new meaning to GO Ladyvols. Please just GO.
I meant to disagree when I first replied

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Not to be outdone by the all knowing Tonyc. . . I'm a homer. You obviously are a homer. Give it a break. It was a great game. Stuff happens. I still hate Laettner. I know its not rational. Homers aren't rational.
You can add that TN player to your hate list. The officiating wasn't great. This foul was just a cheap shot.

We have enough players with chips on their shoulders. That's a good thing.

Life is short, enjoy the ride!

Reaction Score
UCONN would be smart to move on from playing these games. Do you think for one minute Geno liked seeing his team being treated in such an unsportsmanlike way. His halftime with HR says it all and his expressed dissatisfaction pulled the chord for the last time playing them.
B&C

Reaction Score
What a truly bad idea. Given the prevalence of idiot referees, UConn could see terrible refereeing that leads to bad play almost anywhere. Is the team going to drop rivalries just because of such a game? By that logic, UConn should have refused to play all those games against UCF, (aka, University of Chippy Fouls). Believe me, I totally agree with Tony's assessment of the alleged double foul. They went at one another (okay, that's a double foul) and then the TN player tossed in one more. THAT is why she should have been tossed).
Good refs could have had that game under control a lot earlier, and would not have allowed the foul-fest that was the second quarter. UConn-TN is a rivalry that should go on years into the future. Ultimately, it is good for the two teams and good for the sport.
It looks to me like if you're inclined to think the teams should never have played again, you'll think this fiasco is a reason to not continue. If you think the rivalry is important, you'll believe otherwise. This game changes nothing. It just gives the naysayers an excuse to advance their argument.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm with Old Dude on this one. I just think WCBB is better off with UConn playing Tennessee. To my eye in terms of roughness, this game was nothing compared to some of the games in the last 5 years against Notre Dame, UCF, or ECU. Heck, I'm not sure for Aaliyah it was even the roughest game this WEEK.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I gotta disagree with the comment that Tenn is a rivalry. They were they arent anymore. Tenn is no longer a top 25 team and next season....well they wont be better then this years team. As far as WCBB needs Tenn vs UConn....UConn doesnt need Tenn and frankly Im tired of the garbage

Reaction Score
No, we need intense, powerful, even bitter, rivalries. The interest level just ramps up for the teams involved, the fan bases, and national interest is raised substantially. the higher the profile is for these games, the better. Think Red Sox - Yankees, Celtics - Lakers, Bears - Packers, Patriots-Colts, all great rivalries at one time but now dying to get revived - or still very intense.

Reaction Score
Keep Tenn on the Schedule. I think a game/environment like last night toughens and matures players. I'm sure Lou and Ayanna never faced that environment before and they are better for it.

MCBB has far more hostile environment rivalries than women's BB. I think Geno would tell you that UConn would not be at their level if it wasn't for Pat Summit and Tenn. Gampel can be a tough place to play for opponents even though it is half the size of Thompson-Boling Arena.

I wonder why UConn ventures to Hartford for big games (I know it has 6,000 more seats) and loses the student numbers of an on campus facility. I am sure Dawn Staley would prefer to play in Hartford over Gampel. UConn gives up part of the home court advantage going to Hartford.

Reaction Score
Geno's complaint was with the uneven way in which the first two quarters were officiated, not with the way that Tennessee played. Unless you are suggesting that Tennessee selected the officials, or was in some other way able to encourage them to be biased, your fire seems to be misdirected.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don’t like the game but my reason has nothing to do with physical play or refs. It’s just that the game has become a circus. ESPN hypes up a stupid out of conference game between the #5 team and an unranked one like it’s for the national championship. You get fans going loopy over the dumbest things. It’s become ridiculous

The Huskies can play ND or Syracuse or Georgia if it wants a rivalry game

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno's complaint was with the uneven way in which the first two quarters were officiated, not with the way that Tennessee played.
Both things can be true.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I wonder why UConn ventures to Hartford for big games (I know it has 6,000 more seats) and loses the student numbers of an on campus facility. I am sure Dawn Staley would prefer to play in Hartford over Gampel. UConn gives up part of the home court advantage going to Hartford.
The state, requires UConn to play half their home games at the XL. It may make no sense but it was part of deals made to support the XL. So instead of playing in their on campus facility for "free" they pay to rent the XL. Not sure if they get any cut of the XL concessions.

Reaction Score
I'm with Old Dude on this one. I just think WCBB is better off with UConn playing Tennessee. To my eye in terms of roughness, this game was nothing compared to some of the games in the last 5 years against Notre Dame, UCF, or ECU. Heck, I'm not sure for Aaliyah it was even the roughest game this WEEK.
Playing South Carolina, or Stanford ate a better matchup. Better teams and coaches.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The state, requires UConn to play half their home games at the XL. It may make no sense but it was part of deals made to support the XL. So instead of playing in their on campus facility for "free" they pay to rent the XL. Not sure if they get any cut of the XL concessions.
I have heard this as well, but as far as I know, it is at most “an unwritten rule.” I’ve posted the math before on the Boneyard but, basically, unless the XL Center is a sell out, UConn loses money by playing there.

I have no problem with playing at the XL Center, particularly when the students are on break, but the CDRA needs to stop charging the predatory lease rate.

Reaction Score
A few weeks ago I mentioned they should cancel the Tenn and SC games, because we don’t know if, or when, Azzi and Caroline will return. And I was shredded for it. These games will be physical, that’s SEC play for you. We can lose anymore players, especially someone like Aaliyah. Luckily she wasn’t hurt on the play.

Reaction Score
The outcome of that official review was a travesty. The idea that Edwards did anything approaching the severity of what Jackson did to her is utter nonsense, laid bare for all to see by the replays we got to watch from home. Plus I think the refs even lied about it, announcing that the initial call on the floor had been upheld. The initial call most certainly was not a double-intentional.

So I feel your pain. There's just never any institutional accountability or even acknowledgement for bad officiating in the college game, especially on the women's side.

I lost a lot of respect for the process after the 2018 National semi-finals, where over the course of the evening a clearly biased officiating team probably turned the game outcome in favor of Notre Dame. They called more than one phantom blocking foul on Lou, putting her in foul trouble from which the Huskies could not recover. At one point they even called a turnover on Napheesa for stepping out of bounds, when her foot was nowhere near the baseline.

Of course, we couldn't rely on ESPN to show us where her foot actually was. No, the action their replay showed was of the ref making the call. Seriously, you can't make this stuff up. Thankfully, an outraged fan later posted video from his phone on Twitter, which was linked to the post-game thread here on this board.

Geno rightly said that they changed the way the game was called in the second quarter. What he couldn't say, but what needed to be said, was that the refs succumbed to the temptation to try to even up the game and make it more exciting for the home-team fans and television viewers. Unacceptable.

But for all of that, my remedy would be to try to address the bad officiating, not to cancel the series.

For the good of the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member