Negativity and the best fans in the country | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Negativity and the best fans in the country

Reaction Score
I live here too buddy. The tiny Christian School down the street that plays 8 man seems more creative.

Charlton ball is playing defense on offense. There is some goodness in there but he smothers it with terrible decisions and conservative play calling.
And the defense is offensive too. Have to spy running qbs.

Reaction Score
As a UConn graduate and being 84 years old, the game last night was most disappointing. Leaves one questioning how all the reports coming out this spring and summer as to how good the team was going to be, makes me wonder how they could be beat so badly. It just doesn't make sense that RI nearly beat this team and we were out of it so early. I believe coach Mora is deeply committed to making the Huskies a competitive team, and must be bitterly disappointed in how they played. Being critical of a coach the day after a loss is what we do, especially when it is a game we were expected, and needed to win. I will, and hope others will join me, in giving UConn football another couple of games to turn things in a better direction. If we all jump ship, albeit with good reason, I believe it takes a brick out of the wall of a great athletic institution. I ask you to join me in giving Coach JM time to stop the bleeding and see what happens in the next couple of weeks. The old saying, it's not how many times you get knocked down, but rather how many times you get up, applies here for sure. Thanks for all who have posted, both critical and supportive, but again, I ask you to join and "old man" and let's go huskies. Thanks for reading.
I’m not going anywhere. I’m a UConn graduate and fan for life. Also a Red Sox fan so I’m used to pain while hoping for success. I just heard this quote on Parks and Recreation which is apropos.

“This thing we call failure is not the falling down but the staying down”

Let’s turn it around next week and start a winning streak.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I always watch/listen to every single game, even though most of the time it’s an exercise in masochism. And I frequently have very negative things to say in chat. But I’ve tried rooting for other teams and for better or for worse, I just struggle to root seriously for anyone who isn’t UConn.

I just wish that they’d get their act together. Everyone in charge KNOWS how important football is in terms of money and conferences and yet they find a way to screw it up. They’re stuck in a loser mentality where being mediocre is almost as good as getting to the CFP.

I don’t know what the right answer is, but someone who is getting paid more than me should get a clue.
This right here, I can’t tell you how many times Ives said this over the last 15yrs. I’m done, I don’t care anymore, I’ll root for a different team but I can’t, I care about UConn football, I care how they do, I care how hard they work, I care how they rep the state and university. Last night was the first time in almost 2 years that I really hammered mora. There’s no sugar coating it, last night was a complete and utter embarrassment. When we got blown out my Mich, NC st and even SU it was well, they’re just on a different level than us. Georgia state tho? From the sun belt? I know they’ve had a respectable program as of late but to get slapped around the field like that in every single aspect of the game was unacceptable. Charlton needs to go, I dismissed (as did most of us I believe) the abysmal offense last year due to our massive injury losses and true frosh Qb saying ah next year we’ll be able to really open up the play book and yet here we are again. No creativity, zero and I mean zero in game adjustments, stupid “trick” plays that literally come at the worst time in the game, zero ability to identify the hot hand and tailor in the moment to that player. Not to mention his obvious loyalty to JF when he was clearly not the best choice for the job. Mora needs to answer for his OC and answer for it now.

Reaction Score
Coach Mora has the experience and name recognition to get us in a better place. He has to have a couple of difficult conversations:

1) Tell AD Dave that he’s on top of it and ask him to support his upcoming decisions

2) Fire Charlton. Buy out his contract

3) tell the players that the coaches have failed them but that is going to change. Starting 0-2 is the beginning of a 10-2 season. It all starts now

4) Make personnel and coaching adjustments ahead of FIU, particularly with QB1

5) win big against FIU to cleanse the palate

6) repeat against Duke
Subscribe

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hard for me to comment on yesterday as I didn't see it (and why wasn't it on CBS Sports?). But given there was too much E/W in the running game vs NC St, I'm picturing it being even worse yesterday. I'm having a very difficult time imagining our OL couldn't open holes for N/S plays. I can imagine Fagnano being ineffective.

I'll say that the game I did watch - Cincy vs Pitt - had many of the same issues. Narduzzi can't be happy with his OC (who also brought in his own QB, Jurkovec, who stinks). Pitt is a much better team than the one who showed up yesterday and allowed some ridiculous Cincy runs while crapping the bed offensively. I know Narduzzi can coach. I'm pretty sure Mora can and I'll wait and see how he manages this mess.

Also, sometimes crap just can't be explained. Browns are throttling Joe Burrow and the Bengals 24-3 as I type this.

Reaction Score
Hard for me to comment on yesterday as I didn't see it (and why wasn't it on CBS Sports?).

Reaction Score
I'm not sorry about anything I posted. Don't even agree we have been through a lot. That would be one of the greatest understatements in the world of college sports. Didn't feel any better today than Saturday night and that's not going to change until changes are made. At least I have tickets to the Colorado game in a month. Will consider showing up to Homecoming if we show signs of life. What a disgrace that offense was. And we know the personnel is better than this. Not sure about the OC though.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I couldn't read the OP. When someone even uses the word "negativity" I gag. If you can't read criticism of the on field performance, you really need to go into training and toughen up. Yeah, some of it is over the top. But mostly when the Huskies are atrociously bad. We had no reports of the sky falling after NCST, for instance. Just what turned out to be warranted concern.

Reaction Score
The using a spy won’t work either.
Let's just call it awareness or football IQ. You're pretending they all play their assigned roles every play. We both know they can't and don't. There are 11 other guys trying to stop that. All I'm saying is we've been gashed by 2 running qbs in 2 weeks. Let's try something to stop that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Let's just call it awareness or football IQ. You're pretending they all play their assigned roles every play. We both know they can't and don't. There are 11 other guys trying to stop that. All I'm saying is we've been gashed by 2 running qbs in 2 weeks. Let's try something to stop that.
I'd go with the tried and true Al Davis method that he employed successfully in Oakland for years: soak the center of the field between the hashmarks ;)

Reaction Score

They literally don’t follow their assigned roles and they aren’t on the page every play. This is what Jim Mora said.

Therefore you can spy all you want but it won’t do any good. Because even if the QB is covered he will just move the ball to attack the broken converage.

Reaction Score
They literally don’t follow their assigned roles and they aren’t on the page every play. This is what Jim Mora said.

Therefore you can spy all you want but it won’t do any good. Because even if the QB is covered he will just move the ball to attack the broken converage.
In defense of Mora's decision not to use a spy, the head coach of ND said the same thing. Marcus Freeman said that they would not use a spy either against NC State. Of course, their defense is better.

Reaction Score
In defense of Mora's decision not to use a spy, the head coach of ND said the same thing. Marcus Freeman said that they would not use a spy either against NC State. Of course, their defense is better.

It’s silly. Fans act like they know better than the coaches. As if Mora is like “Gee golly why didn’t I use a spy. Wish I had thought of that!”

Reaction Score
It doesn’t matter at this point.

If Mora and Charlton aren’t getting along then maybe it’s for the best but I think it will do more harm than good.

It’s absurd that we are paying him $400k.
Climb off the ledge please.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
We're not seen as serious because we suck. People don't really dive too far into it. Hiring the snake Edsall back for pennies and canceling the season when everyone else played are higher on the list than UConn going to the Big East for basketball and Independent in football but none of that really matters much in the end. Everyone I've ever talked to outside the fanbase wondered why the hell we weren't playing in the Big East, they didn't even know what conference we were playing in. Our football team doesn't even register with people.
And also because coach after coach wants to play football like it’s 1936 and the forward pass hasn’t been invented yet.

Kind of hard to take the program as serious when they won’t even try to play a modern style of the game. Heck, even stubborn old defensive minded Saban has embraced having a high octane spread style offense.

Reaction Score
It’s silly. Fans act like they know better than the coaches. As if Mora is like “Gee golly why didn’t I use a spy. Wish I had thought of that!”
Exactly. In matters like this we BY'ers don't have enough data (and perhaps knowledge) to make valid points. We do not see the players every day and we haven't coached at the P4 or NFL level. We went thru this type of discussion w HCPP years ago. A guy who has forgotten more football than any of us will ever know.

Reaction Score
And also because coach after coach wants to play football like it’s 1936 and the forward pass hasn’t been invented yet.

Kind of hard to take the program as serious when they won’t even try to play a modern style of the game. Heck, even stubborn old defensive minded Saban has embraced having a high octane spread style offense.

After the end of the season, Charlton has got to go.

Reaction Score
Exactly. In matters like this we BY'ers don't have enough data (and perhaps knowledge) to make valid points. We do not see the players every day and we haven't coached at the P4 or NFL level. We went thru this type of discussion w HCPP years ago. A guy who has forgotten more football than any of us will ever know.

Yes he did forget more than we know, but he also lacked the energy and the knowledge to do all of the ancillary things required of college football.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I really hope that any comparison between Mora and HCPP is purely anecdotal. If not, we are screwed.

Reaction Score
I really hope that any comparison between Mora and HCPP is purely anecdotal. If not, we are screwed.
No no no, that was not a comparison between the coaches, only a comparison of when we run our mouths here when our knowledge of the subject matter of certain topics is miniscule compared to that of the coaches.

Reaction Score
Least we forget UConn lost to Michigan by 3, I believe under HCPP. Many UConn fans would be excited about that today. I don't have the knowledge to understand what happen to the team while losing to GS.
But, perhaps the effort put out losing to NCS the preceding week took a toll on them physically. Perhaps they had the feeling that the QB was not going to be able to mount a comeback. Or, as many have written, the OC is not qualified to run the offense needed to win at this level. With the transfer portal rules today, mid-level schools are getting athletes who want to play and not be 5th string at Alabama or Clemson. Check the upsets and near upsets last week in college football. It is seen in college basketball now, and in football as well. It would be interesting if, and I say if, the stadium was full for the next game, sending the message: we are disappointed, BUT as football fans, as UConn fans, we support the program, and we are here.........Let's turn this aircraft carrier around. It is difficult but possible. Call some friends, fill your car, and head for the next game. "When the going gets tough, the tough get going"! Go Huskies, win one for the "old man". All the best to you who write on the BONEYARD.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom