Nebraska Pre-Game Presser With Coach and Players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nebraska Pre-Game Presser With Coach and Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I did a quick check of the last 12 years and only once during that time (2007-2008) did UConn have a roster with as many as 14 players and that included 1 walkon.
And actually I believe Greene was out that year and I think Thomas was injured late in the year. So by the time the Tourney rolled around UCONN was down to 12 including the w/o Fernandes (who might have actually had a scholarship by then??)

If you go back to 2000-2001, UCONN had 16 player with Czel being a w/o. However Battle got hurt early in the year, Moore r/s'd that year, Walters was still injured (last year she was with the team), then Ralph and Abrosimova both went down mid season so by the end UCONN had 11 including Czel.

98-99 year, UCONN had 15 on scholarship (Czel was w/o), but Walters and Bird went down injured, Rigby was r/sing, so they still only had 12.

So, you never have too many.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No, the perceptions out there are much worse, as in UCONN gets the best 3 or 4 HS AA every year. Williams answer to the question was a much better refection of what UCONN does: "They (UCONN) target and get the players that best fit their system".
Yes - i was coming back here to make this point. I thought her answer was very good in specifically addressing the fact that Uconn is more selective generally than other schools and targets specific players that enhance the make-up of the team and the team ethos. The question wasn't very good, the answer was better than it deserved! :)

On reduction of scholarships - meh. I think schools with title IX compliance issues are glad to have women's programs remain with higher scholarship counts to balance football.
There are a few schools that seem to live at the 14-15 range in WCBB, but not really that many in the top 10. People see that as some sort of panacea for 'competitiveness' but I just think it would mean a few more of the middle rank players being available further down the food chain. If Geno had a limited of twelve, would Bent and Irwin be on the team or would he have needed to preserve scholarships in the hope of a Walker or Collier in future years? The walk-ons wouldn't get scholarships, and you would probably see increases in transfers as more coaches tried to push players off scholarship for future better recruiting success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom