Nebraska game | The Boneyard

Nebraska game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I looked at the schedule and the Nebraska game is only televised on the big ten network. The only way to watch game would be to add on to cablevision package and then cancel after game.

Reaction Score
I noticed that too. Seems to me UCONN should have enough clout to insist that it either be carried on at least SNY also, or we just don't play them. I don't see Nebraska as a big draw.

Reaction Score
Yeah you would think that but I believe that since this game is being played at Nebraska, the Big 10 have the exclusive rights to air this game solo.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I noticed that too. Seems to me UCONN should have enough clout to insist that it either be carried on at least SNY also, or we just don't play them. I don't see Nebraska as a big draw.
The home team always controls the rights to the broadcast which in many cases gets ceded to their conference - Nebraska is in the big ten and so BTN owns the rights - SNY can sometimes do a deal with the 'local owner' and sometimes they cannot. BTN is trying to build there channel so they probably weren't interested - have a bunch of folks in CT call their providers and complain that BTN wasn't included in their mid-level package or whatever.*

Same happens every time we play at DePaul, but whoever controls those rights has pretty much always given CPTV/SNY access to their feed - we get the DePaul broadcast team on those games and not our normal crew but we get the TV.

The issue comes up a few times every year and SNY and before them CPTV has done a really good job of getting most of the feeds or permission to produce the TV completely - but every once in a while we have had a 'dark' game or one where the majority of us could not watch.

*ESPN used to do this with ESPN2 and ESPNU when they first introduced those channels. The NFL did it with Thursday night football when they introduced their own TV channel. Common if not all that pleasant business practice. Similar idea to Drug companies jacking prices on their essential products when they don't have competition.

Reaction Score
Two games not available on the average cable system: Nebraska (Big 10 Netwoirk) and USF at UConn (CBS Sports -- generally obtainable for an upgrade fee).

Reaction Score
I don't question that Nebraska and/or the Big 10 have the rights to the game. I just question whether we need to play them that bad to leave the UCONN fans out.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Two games not available on the average cable system: Nebraska (Big 10 Netwoirk) and USF at UConn (CBS Sports -- generally obtainable for an upgrade fee).

Just as added info, both CBSsn and Big10 are available on DirecTV. I don't know if individual game purchase is available.

Reaction Score
I get both as part of my regular cable sub, but I don't live in CT.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
No problems once again with Spectrum/TWC here in NYC.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Just as added info, both CBSsn and Big10 are available on DirecTV. I don't know if individual game purchase is available.
If you have the Sports Package on Directv the Big Ten channel is 610. You can also stream it online. Go to BTN2Go..........you must identify your cable network, and type in your password if you have one.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't question that Nebraska and/or the Big 10 have the rights to the game. I just question whether we need to play them that bad to leave the UCONN fans out.
Home and home with any Big Ten team or any Pac12 team is going to cause this problem - and who broadcasts is probably at the very bottom of Geno and the administrations list of considerations when setting up the OOC. Nebraska is a decent program with a good coach - they could easily get ranked this year or next and it is a geographical diversification as is Kansas State, something that is much higher on the criteria for the OOC.

Reaction Score
They've been playing like **** lately so it probably won't be a competitive game anyway.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good question. Anybody know?
Don't believe so - BTN is trying to be a national channel and do not have a partnership with ESPN - ACC, SEC, and LonghornNet are all in partnership with ESPN - Pac12 and BTN are not.

Reaction Score
Don't believe so - BTN is trying to be a national channel and do not have a partnership with ESPN - ACC, SEC, and LonghornNet are all in partnership with ESPN - Pac12 and BTN are not.

Correct. BTN is affiliated with an ESPN competitor (fox I believe). Streaming would only be on the BTN app.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just another thing on scheduling - Geno likes to spread out the OOC amongst the P5 - ideally he would play two teams from each P5 but it seldom works out like that. Beyond geography there is a big benefit to the team and the coaches in that concept when planning for the NCAA - the likelihood is Uconn will play 3-4 games against P5 teams in the tournament and two of them will be new to Uconn as far as the current season. They do scouting, but teams look different in person to on film. Playing a couple of common opponents during OOC gives 2+ games to scout where the frame of reference is very specific and personal - we played SC, SC played Miss State, OK we have a little better read on the team and the individual players by seeing how they did against a team and players we are familiar with.

(The Pac12 has been the conference where we have had the fewest OOC games, especial since Stanford was dropped from the schedule - none this year, but I believe UCLA on tap for next year. Distance is the issue I think.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom