ND vs Stanford Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ND vs Stanford Game Thread

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Any day ND loses. - hoops, football, tiddlywinks - is a good day.

You beat me to the punch cohenzone. What a day!!! What a weekend so far. Maryland loses. Then lightning strikes twice as Stanford knocks #1 ND out again for the second time in two years. That loud sound you heard at the end of the game was a 1 seed crashing to the ground, and out of the tournament. I can almost hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from here. Kermit THE frog was right. It's not easy bring green. :) What a day!!!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was impressed with McPhee's play, made some clutch shots down the stretch by being patient and adjusting her shot to make layups.

She doesn't seem to get much publicity, but I think she is one of the most improved players in the country this year. She didn't make as big of a jump as Collier and KLS, but I believe she has doubled her scoring average from last year and as shown today is capable of having a big game.

Reaction Score
Great game!

Congrats to Stanford.
I watched the first half then watched about 4 minutes of the 3rd quarter--got disgusted with ND jumping on the Tree's and getting call against Stanford---so I left and enjoyed the 70 degree plus weather, sprayed the weeds in my garden after rototilling it--and went back in the house---the wife with tears in her eyes--said you left because ND was ahead--right??--yea--well Stanford won!!! Impossible I say--impossible. Great first half--except for some terrible calls--. Congrats to Stanford--ND was shooting 3's like UCLA.

Reaction Score
She doesn't seem to get much publicity, but I think she is one of the most improved players in the country this year. She didn't make as big of a jump as Collier and KLS, but I believe she has doubled her scoring average from last year and as shown today is capable of having a big game.
Call gets lots of press--she's good but I'll take McPhee---she is much more like Katie Lou than Karlie.

Reaction Score
That was a great game to watch, congrats to Stanford and the Samuelson's. It had to make KLS happy
to see her sister get to Dallas.
It had to make Jon Samuelson happy too. He's been putting on a lot of miles - now he can park in one hotel room in Dallas, stop the back and forth grind, no more packing/unpacking every day.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would not want to play Stanford. Giving Tara a week to prepare for us is scary.
If it happens, she has only 2 days. She has SC or Florida State first. Assuming that we advance.

Reaction Score
There goes my Chalk Poll. When ND got out to the big lead, I thought the game was over. ND has enough offense with their guards that they should have been able to easily win this game. IMO even though Stanford was a 2 seed and Turner is out for ND, this was a bad loss for ND. A game they should have won.

I was impressed with McPhee's play, made some clutch shots down the stretch by being patient and adjusting her shot to make layups.

She also contributed some fine assists on set offensive plays, hitting cutters and posts in space to drive for lay-ups. VanDerveer coaches ém up pretty well.

Carnac

Reaction Score
My bracket is shot to tarnation, but.....I had Stanford beating ND. I also had UConn, FSU, & Baylor coming of of their respective regions.

My final 4 was UConn/Baylor & Stanford/Florida St.

Semi finals: UConn over Baylor - Stanford over FSU

Final: UConn over Stanford winning the national championship, and avenging their last loss at the same time (It's impossible for it to get any better than that). Killing 2 birds with 1 stone you might say.

It will be interesting to see if Geno will make an insightful man of me. Good luck to all of the teams that get their ticket punched for Dallas, and everybody stay healthy.
No injuries the rest of the way.

Reaction Score
If only Ogunbowle could pass to herself. Borrowing Geno's line for Saniya's HS career
You are so right. Watch the final play. Ogunbowle has a wide open teammate (#33) in the lane. An easy bounce pass for an easy 4-footer, but she tries to take the shot in the middle of three defenders.

I have no doubt that any of UConn's first six players would have made that sweet, simple bounce pass for the game winner.

Reaction Score
McGraw obviously is a good coach, but her staff always looks like they do nothing except for the woman who played for her. Also she seems to over talk McGraw at times and McGraw just seems to passive for me. No fire from her. I know you can't be something your not, but I believe if she was a little more hotheaded her teams would have more of an edge and it would only enhance their good coaching and elite talents.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You are so right. Watch the final play. Ogunbowle has a wide open teammate (#33) in the lane. An easy bounce pass for an easy 4-footer, but she tries to take the shot in the middle of three defenders.

I have no doubt that any of UConn's first six players would have made that sweet, simple bounce pass for the game winner.

Really hard to judge 2.9 seconds in your head (and anticipate the clock guy getting it exactly right) and make that bounce pass. You are as likely to see the backboard light up with the ball still on your teammates finger tips as you are to get it exactly right.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
ND Press Conference. It was a short one. Starts around the 4 minute mark

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Stanford's Press Conference, a longer one. :) Starts around the 1:43 mark

Reaction Score
Really? You'd call a game over that's still in the 2nd quarter? :eek: Be careful with making calls that early. You might have to walk them back......like now. :rolleyes:

I looked like a genius when ND turned that 5 point lead into 15 around halftime and was running away with it...then like an idiot by the end of the 3rd.

Reaction Score
Stanford 22 assists on 28 baskets
Irish 11 assists on 29 baskets, maybe just a little too much one on one in the end. I was not stunned by the end result, but rather how poorly Stanford played defense in the first half.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
In the 4th qtr, Muffet looked uptight and Tara looked relaxed. To their credit, ND players played well in a back and forth game but that last play was dumb. This one is on MM as even though she did not have Turner, the team was in a position to win a game and she did not get them in the position to win. Tara's team showed they are resilient and that comes from their coach.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I looked like a genius when ND turned that 5 point lead into 15 around halftime and was running away with it...then like an idiot by the end of the 3rd.

You're OK. We never throw the baby out with the bath water. You've still got this afternoon and 3 games next week to redeem yourself. :)

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Hey, Saki, welcome back!

Thanks! Been busy with life and work so haven't had much time to keep up with women's hoops... some things never change though - UConn's still showing why they are the best in the business.

To be honest, I didn't think Stanford had the horses to make the Final Four, but glad I was proven wrong! Team ball all the way and I loved watching Smith be a force down low towards the end of the season. Combine that with McPhee's improvement and McCall's never-say-die attitude ok the boards and I should have known we'd be on our way to a Final Four.

Amazing adjustment by VanDerveer and crew and to me, anything beyond this is icing on the cake.

Reaction Score
Really hard to judge 2.9 seconds in your head (and anticipate the clock guy getting it exactly right) and make that bounce pass. You are as likely to see the backboard light up with the ball still on your teammates finger tips as you are to get it exactly right.
UcMiami, I know you are a frequent and respected poster here, but you consistently refute my posts. As soon as I began to read this post, I knew it was from you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom