NCAA will not renew EA Sports contract | The Boneyard

NCAA will not renew EA Sports contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

The NCAA has never licensed the use of current student-athlete names, images or likenesses to EA. The NCAA has no involvement in licenses between EA and former student-athletes. Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game. They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...3/july/ncaa+will+not+renew+ea+sports+contract

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
best part of this was that as I was reading the post, the EA/NCAA football ad was running to the right!

Reaction Score
UConn is handled by the CLC, right? Would suck if they're not included in the next college football game.

Reaction Score
UConn is handled by the CLC, right? Would suck if they're not included in the next college football game.

They will be in there. Get ready for techmo bowl like "LB#57" for player names, missing Logos, Random player characteristics, etc...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think the only logo that this impacts is the NCAA one - everything else should be intact, including uniforms, etc.

They'll probably randomize the roster looks a bit more and rely on people uploading the 100% accurate one themselves and sharing that - not too much different from now, honestly.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I've been praying for the death of the NCAA every day since they decided to not renew the "real" BE Sports contract.

Reaction Score
Wow! They really think they will lose big on the O'Bannon case then.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
You're up 2K sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
They will be in there. Get ready for techmo bowl like "LB#57" for player names, missing Logos, Random player characteristics, etc...

They already name players that way

Reaction Score
They already name players that way

But now the numbers wont be right, all the players sizes/races, etc will be off. Random. Weak.

Reaction Score
That's the irony. If O'Bannon wins they will make all marketing generic and the players won't get anything anyway.

Reaction Score
Clarification from EA Sports

http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-sports-and-college-football

>>By now, most fans will have heard that EA's licensing agreement with the NCAA is set to expire and that we have agreed to part ways. I'm sure gamers are wondering what this means.

This is simple: EA SPORTS will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks. Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, conferences and all the innovation fans expect from EA SPORTS.

We took big creative strides with this year's college game and you’ll see much more in the future. We love college football and look forward to making more games for our fans.<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom