NCAA Transfer Portal - The process | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NCAA Transfer Portal - The process

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Just noticed that Coach Cox picked up transfer Alex Badine from Ohio State. Alex as a PWO at OSU after spending the prior two years at ASA and Monroe Juco programs. Aaron Smith had been following Alex.
Alex Badine Jr (@AlexBadineJr) | Twitter

Reaction Score
Could Rutgers DB transfer KJ Gray be in the mix? I see he's following our head coach on Twitter

Guessing his legal/character problems scared most folks away...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
A player to keep your eye on is Jaylen Jones, 6'1'' OLB from Hastings HS in Houston. He's a class of 2018 kid who spent last fall at the US Air Force Academy prep program.

From his Air Force commitment: Three-star recruit held an offer from Army. … Lists a 4.5-second 40-yard dash, 33.2-inch vertical, 275-pound bench press and 405 squat. … Runs hurdles in track. … Racked up 152 total tackles over junior and senior seasons (19 games), including 16 for loss.

https://twitter.com/jaylen_jones5/following

Jaylen Jones, Alief Hastings , Inside Linebacker

UConn coaches first reconnected with Jaylen over the winter on twitter. However over the past 24hrs the twitter interconnection has accelerated. Maybe there is news in the coming days. Jaylen looks like someone that could help with our OLB depth.

I found this in a newsletter from Jaylen's superintendent of schools:

"Speaking of discipline, leadership and good character let me talk about a young man from Hastings High School who received a football scholarship to the Air Force Academy. Jaylen Jones is an All-District linebacker at Hastings who was also named to the All-District Academic Team as well as being named to the Academic All-State team. Even though he is a great high school football player, he could not qualify to one of the service academies on athletics alone. He had to show a strong academic progress as well as great discipline and character to earn a scholarship to the Air Force Academy. In fact, he was also offered scholarships from the U.S. Naval Academy and the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

Jaylen’s coach, David Martel, said that Jaylen “Holds himself accountable, shows great character at all times and never misses practice.” Martel added that the only day of school Jaylen has missed this year is when he visited the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado."

Reaction Score
A player to keep your eye on is Jaylen Jones, 6'1'' OLB from Hastings HS in Houston. He's a class of 2018 kid who spent last fall at the US Air Force Academy prep program.

From his Air Force commitment: Three-star recruit held an offer from Army. … Lists a 4.5-second 40-yard dash, 33.2-inch vertical, 275-pound bench press and 405 squat. … Runs hurdles in track. … Racked up 152 total tackles over junior and senior seasons (19 games), including 16 for loss.

https://twitter.com/jaylen_jones5/following

Jaylen Jones, Alief Hastings , Inside Linebacker

UConn coaches first reconnected with Jaylen over the winter on twitter. However over the past 24hrs the twitter interconnection has accelerated. Maybe there is news in the coming days. Jaylen looks like someone that could help with our OLB depth.

I found this in a newsletter from Jaylen's superintendent of schools:

"Speaking of discipline, leadership and good character let me talk about a young man from Hastings High School who received a football scholarship to the Air Force Academy. Jaylen Jones is an All-District linebacker at Hastings who was also named to the All-District Academic Team as well as being named to the Academic All-State team. Even though he is a great high school football player, he could not qualify to one of the service academies on athletics alone. He had to show a strong academic progress as well as great discipline and character to earn a scholarship to the Air Force Academy. In fact, he was also offered scholarships from the U.S. Naval Academy and the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

Jaylen’s coach, David Martel, said that Jaylen “Holds himself accountable, shows great character at all times and never misses practice.” Martel added that the only day of school Jaylen has missed this year is when he visited the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado."
Great news about this kid... didn't think we'd see his name pop again as far as recruiting.. seems like the kind of kid we need to help out our Front 7 on D on and off the field...

Reaction Score
Guessing his legal/character problems scared most folks away...

Never saw this guy a HCRE type. Apparently, KC Keeler willing to make an exception. Different philosophies

Reaction Score
Let's hope we can get Jalyen Jones (finally).. seems like we've been dancing with this kid for a couple of years now.. Just make it happen already...

Reaction Score
Malik Barrow, Ohio State DE from Miami/IMG Academy now has DDC, Eddie Allen, D. Harris and B. Chapman from the UConn staff following him. Obviously a long shot, but notable that traction is increasing.

At one point Barrow "retired" because of injuries including a torn ACL.

Malik Barrow transferring from Ohio State

He should be a "priority FA" type for us... He'd help us right away...

Geez... despite all the staff Twitter “connects” - nary a mention.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Yeah, I have been monitoring and it seems we made a push and perhaps we were given a long listen, but then for whatever reason it didn't progress.

Side bar, on the transfer front, it seems we have the GAs (Chapman/Bahr) and QAs (Petrarca/Roundtree) prioritizing their time on Grands and JUCOs. And over the past week there has been a renewed push to tag TEs/DEs and OLs, but dont see any really big names worth getting too excited about at the moment.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Silva to Marshall. The athletic DE who was injured his senior year at FIU had visited UConn earlier this spring. Not sure why it didn't work out (I'm always suspicious of our admissions office). It was pretty clear during this process Silva had been working to get in at WVU which apparently didn't work out either.

Reaction Score

Would be nice if a kid like this, who's basically trying to re-write his college football ending, take on an opportunity to do something special up in Storrs CT... Be a part of something that this team's trying to accomplish, a 180 degree turnaround. He could help us make that happen, along with hel;ing himself in the process, but doesn't see it (unfortunate).

Reaction Score
Interesting side note on Malik Barrow... Did you know? His dad, Malcolm Barrow is a Univ of New Haven football alumn ('95)??? Dad is following Darius Slade...

Yeah, I know I know, one can dream of a Darius Slade/Malik Barrown to Storrs CT idea.. Would be a nice coup... One can dream at least...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Since the middle of the last season the staff has been on the hunt for a grad/juco TE. They have checked in on a lot of dudes... but haven’t gotten very far with any of them.

One player that has popped up is Spencer Owens, 6’5” 240 lb sophomore at Fullerton JUCO. Owens is from Lakewood CA...haven’t checked to see what options he had coming out of HS.

Corey and Rountree are following on twitter. Owens has been giving UConn football some likes.

Reaction Score
"I KNOW SOMEBODY NEEDS A PHYSICAL 6’5 240lb Tight End with basketball hands"

UCONN has not had trouble finding 6-4 to 6-6 sturdy typology from the Northeast. Danny Murray, Justin Wolf, Tim Lassen, Steve Brouse, Ryan Griffin, Martin Bedard. You can find kids playing NE hoop in Mass, NE, CT, upstate NY or PA that fit the fill. There are plenty. It's not like why we need to go get speed DBs in FL.

You do have to look in unique places when you need one to show up in July.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hat tip to @Drew on this one. Randy, Corey and Weiss have jumped on the Benjamin St Juste transfer situation out of Michigan. 6'3'' corner from Montreal. #2 prospect in Canada in 2017. As we all know, we have some good connections going with Montreal kids these days.

He played as a freshman in 2017 on special teams and one game at corner. In 2018 he was denied participation for medical reasons as determined by the university staff. St Juste has graduated in a lightning fast 2.5 years allowing him to transfer as a grad student with a whopping three years of eligibility remaining.

Michigan Football: Benjamin St. Juste transfer ends weird situation

Benjamin St-Juste - Football - University of Michigan Athletics

Benjamin St-Juste, Cegep du Vieux , Cornerback

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not really clear to me which way he is leaning.

Reaction Score
it really feels like we're done with this transfer portal stuff for the upcoming Fall season.. I'm OK with that if it is the case. Only thing is it's gonna make for a pretty boring 90 days until Fall camp starts..

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
it really feels like we're done with this transfer portal stuff for the upcoming Fall season.. I'm OK with that if it is the case. Only thing is it's gonna make for a pretty boring 90 days until Fall camp starts..
I don’t think so. I fully expect a few more transfers. It’s just damn competitive out there.

Reaction Score
I don’t think so. I fully expect a few more transfers. It’s just damn competitive out there.
.. and that's what I was hoping to hear.. The funny part about all of this is it's just not as cut and dry as regular recruiting.. You can kinda tell when we pretty much don't have a shot with regular recruiting. With this, you got guys (Hinton, David Williams, .. come to mind) They talk us up like "yeah, I'm coming to UConn", but then, all of a sudden, they leave us out in the cold...
Hoping we get a few impact guys that can help push us through the rough spots in games.. We lacked that the past few seasons, primarily because of youth.. a boat load of it. We're still young (again). Put that part on all the coaching changes.

Here's hoping for a few more Art Thompkins before the season starts. At least he seems to have that maturity we need... I think DJ Morgan might have it too...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Rutty with nine transfers.....Nine! We have four when including Dillon Harris as a JUCO.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Where's the link to your RJ Cole prediction? We can add it to your resume'.

Reaction Score
I am beginning to think Chief needs to quit his real job and join Randy’s recruiting staff.

Just need to add Bunkey to the staff. He’ll reel in all those 5 stars like he did in basketball

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom