NCAA tournament update | Page 10 | The Boneyard

NCAA tournament update

Reaction Score
And that is how this ends. "Overreaction" achieves desired result, and in an ironic turn, the "it's a hoax" crowd will think that allows them to say "I told you so".
I don’t see anyone in this thread calling it a hoax.. But go on

Reaction Score
Not sure about how long to test positive, but there is currently no approved treatment. Just managing symptoms.

South Korea is using a malaria drug called chloroquine because it opens pathways in cells to allow zinc to enter, potentially slowing a critical viral replication step.

At least that's how it would work in theory... No double blinded trials or anything, just a hail mary for the worst patients right now.

Not sure if anyone else is trying the same drug.

I've read about using anti reterovirals, specifically Kaletra that is used in HIV treatment, for one or more cases in Italy or Spain and it was successful, I forget which country. Apparently, it works the same way it does with HIV by preventing the virus to bind to cell or something.

Be interesting if those are one off cases or if it's something that can have efficacy over a wide segment of the population infected by covid-19.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not even close to correct. My girlfriend is from China and her family lives there.
tenor.gif

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Billionaires using fear to line their pockets isn’t conspiracy or a new phenomenon. People are legitimately afraid of this virus and they shouldn’t be. Common sense approaches we’ll keep the VAST majority of people fine. If you think big Pharma isn’t corrupt then you’re the conspiracy theorist lmfaoo
Not sure if you've noticed, but the "billionaires" have lost an awful lot of money over the last two weeks.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Then set that bar with everything. I’m not saying we shouldn’t take precautions to protect the vulnerable. But also be honest. Make sure people now that their lives aren’t at risk. Thats important.
Sometimes you overreach. It can be about recruiting. It can be about a player. Here it's about public health. It's something you do, a certain bravado, as though you want to be the cool kid of the day. It's an identifiable human trait.

The thing I'd best liken your version of it to is a soup or stew that keeps getting ingredients added to, until it's one (or a few) too many, and the cook is kind of lost, but is in too deep to fix things or bow out gracefully.

As this pecadillo of yours takes its periodic shape, it can be spirited, amusing, annoying, even puzzling. Sometimes, when you seem in over your head, you pull the plug with an LOL, or a series of them. IIRC, back with Dylan Cardwell, you acknowledged that you weren't a recruiting insider. That one struck me as an admirable reset.

Yeah, you've got a few valid themes in this concoction, even enough to rebut some of the individual pushbacks on one or more points, but I really don't think this one is salvageable. We've got something that has been declared by the WHO as a pandemic. Things are being canceled left and right. And a lot of the traction is for slowing the spread, not over taxing resources, and not putting the most vulnerable at needlessly excessive risk.

I think it's a pretty solid bet that you have little to fear as to your own health. The same is probably true for most folks here. At 66, I do not feel personally in danger. But that's not the relevant conversation. Your confident stance in that argument is largely unnecessary.

Your (presumed) youthful exuberance isn't a bad thing, but let it simmer and season sometimes. I suggest giving it a test drive on this story.

Last edited:

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Sometimes you overreach. It can be about recruiting. It can be about a player. Here it's about public health. It's something you do, a certain bravado, as though you want to be the cool kid of the day. It's an identifiable human trait.

The thing I'd best liken your version of it to is a soup or stew that keeps getting ingredients added to, until it's too one (or a few) too many, and the cook is kind of lost, but is in too deep to fix things or bow out gracefully.

As this pecadillo of yours takes its periodic shape, it can be spirited, amusing, annoying, even puzzling. Sometimes, when you seem in over your head, you pull the plug with an LOL, or a series of them. IIRC, back with Dylan Cardwell, you acknowledged that you weren't a recruiting insider. That one struck me as an admirable reset.

Yeah, you've got a few valid themes in this concoction, even enough to rebut some of the individual pushbacks on one or more points, but I really don't think this one is salvageable. We've got something that has been declared by the WHO as a pandemic. Things are being canceled left and right. And a lot of the traction is for slowing the spread, not over taxing resources, and not putting the most vulnerable at needlessly excessive risk.

I think it s a pretty solid bet that you have little to fear as to your own health. The same is probably true for most folks here. At 66, I do not feel personally in danger. But that's not the relevant conversation. Your confident stance in that argument is largely unnecessary.

Your (presumed) youthful exuberance isn't a bad thing, but let it simmer and season sometimes. I suggest giving it a test drive on this story.

Peccadillo... nice word play!

Reaction Score
No, they don't. Their estimated range of deaths for this season which is still going on is 20k - 50k deaths. We're currently a lot closer to 20k than 50k. When the flu was really bad a few years ago 50k died.

This is US only, the numbers are obviously much higher for the whole world.

You are correct. It’s hard to have a rational conversation with an irrational person.

CDC Historical Flu Deaths

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Why make it political?
That is for the cesspool not the basketball board. I don't care about your thoughts on anything political.

Tax cuts didn't spread this virus.
Not all of em.......

are you wishing for the economy to bottom out?

If so, you are a ________ fill in the blank

Reaction Score
In the unlikely event the NCAA tournament is played the NCAA should PAY the players on each roster a minimum of 1k each per game first 4 rounds. The final 4 they get 2k each and final game 4k each. So the kids that make final game can amass 10k each. Same for women of course if they play.

They deserved to be paid if playing under these circumstances. Also they should test all the players before tourney starts so they don't infect each other.

I realize this won't happen and all the travel / hotels probably bad idea for the tourney to take place for player safety but if it does they better pay them.

Last edited:

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Wait, because it doesn't kill 100% of the people it's therefore not a significant risk to an older person? That's a hell of a take.

And you're speaking as if yo know the exact mortality rates. we don't. The data on this virus sucks right now. We also don't know which kinds of elderly folks are most susceptible.

So if you don't know, you take measures against it. Put it this way, would you expose your grandparents to it? If the answer is no, then don't do it for anybody else.

Honestly man this is one of the dumbest ways to think about any situation like as you could possibly have. It's this way of thinking that will wipe out half the human race when a truly deadly virus does show up. Why? Because you didn't jump on it early enough.

And How good are you at predicting viral mutations?

Again, when you don't know, you pull out the stops until you do know. It's never a good idea to 'wait and see' with a viral outbreak. This is what dead people did.

EDIT: Lot of people on this thread like "oh this is way overblown yada yada ya'll gonna be the first ones to check out when a full blown killer gets out. will be interesting to hear your take when you're dead.

What we have here is an interesting test case for how to handle response a much more serious outbreak. We are currently failing the test.
I got a tin foil hat for you, stop by the house at your earliest convenience

Btw, we’re always at risk of viral mutations. Whether it’s H1N1 or a different viral strand such as carona. No different from any other flu season. If this virus was (or becomes) more deadly I would act accordingly. To assume I’d have the same mindset no matter the mortality rate is presumptuous and just plain dumb/ small minded on your part.

But by all means don’t let me stop you from buying the rest of the toilet paper at CVS, and don’t eat the red M&M’s.... they cause cancer:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Btw, we’re always at risk of viral mutations. Whether it’s H1N1 or a different viral strand such as carona. No different from any other flu season. If this virus was (or becomes) more deadly I would act accordingly. To assume I’d have the same mindset no matter the mortality rate is presumptuous and just plain dumb/ small minded on your part.

But by all means don’t let me stop you from by the rest of the toilet paper at CVS, and don’t eat the red M&M’s.... they cause cancer:rolleyes:

Another person who doesn't get it....

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
This is NOT a glorified flu, there is no vaccine, there is no Tamaflu, and it has a fatality rate that is ten times that of the flu. Don't be a moron.
Ten times higher? Show me some literature that backs that up please.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
he's 100% correct. this is what happens when you believe in the mystical healing powers of tiger penis etc. and as a country fund the black market trade of endangered species. the only silver lining i can think of that will come of this is the permanent ban on these exotic markets throughout china, which is expected.
AMEN

Reaction Score

But by all means don’t let me stop you from by the rest of the toilet paper at CVS, and don’t eat the red M&M’s.... they cause cancer:rolleyes:
From the numbers released the death rate out of Italy is close to 7% on confirmed cases. Please stop being a jackarse and joking about it.

Reaction Score
Ten times higher? Show me some literature that backs that up please.

3,9% fatality rate in China.
3.0% fatality rate outside of China.

0.05% - 0.10% fatality rate for influenza this season.

“I mean people always say, 'Well, the flu does this, the flu does that,'” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), said Wednesday during a hearing before the House Oversight and Reform Committee.

“The flu has a mortality rate of 0.1 percent. This has a mortality rate of 10 times that. That’s the reason I want to emphasize we have to stay ahead of the game in preventing this,” he added.

Reaction Score
It is indeed a glorified flue. A vaccine will be miraculously found and we’ll be panicking over the next “crisis” used to pad the pockets of the elites.

Another one!. Not only is it the glorified flu (despite all evidence pointing to the contrary) it's also a huge ploy to enrich "elites". SMH

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom