NCAA to propose new level of D-I where athletes can be paid | The Boneyard

NCAA to propose new level of D-I where athletes can be paid

Reaction Score

In hockey, the programs most likely affected would include the Big Ten (Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin), Arizona State, and Boston College.

However, it’s possible other prominent basketball schools (especially those with FBS football programs) — UConn, Providence, UMass — could also choose this new subdivision.

What happens then? Are we looking at a future where 10-12 programs operate on a different level than the rest of college hockey, but they all play for the same championships?

Could this lead to widespread realignment?

Will the rest of the NCHC want to compete against Arizona State if the Sun Devils can pay players but the rest of the league can’t? It could be a mess in Hockey East, where two or three programs operate differently than everyone else.
Will this new subdivision create a scenario where these schools all join the Big Ten as affiliate hockey members?

Take Hockey East for example … if BC is the only school in the league to operate under the new subdivision, will the rest of Hockey East want them to continue in the league? I could see a scenario where the other 10 schools want BC out, because they’d be operating under different rules than the rest of the league.

Reaction Score

In hockey, the programs most likely affected would include the Big Ten (Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin), Arizona State, and Boston College.

However, it’s possible other prominent basketball schools (especially those with FBS football programs) — UConn, Providence, UMass — could also choose this new subdivision.

What happens then? Are we looking at a future where 10-12 programs operate on a different level than the rest of college hockey, but they all play for the same championships?

Could this lead to widespread realignment?

Will the rest of the NCHC want to compete against Arizona State if the Sun Devils can pay players but the rest of the league can’t? It could be a mess in Hockey East, where two or three programs operate differently than everyone else.
Will this new subdivision create a scenario where these schools all join the Big Ten as affiliate hockey members?

Take Hockey East for example … if BC is the only school in the league to operate under the new subdivision, will the rest of Hockey East want them to continue in the league? I could see a scenario where the other 10 schools want BC out, because they’d be operating under different rules than the rest of the league.
BC is not going to be able to hang Financially with the Big Ten Teams. I’m not sure they would be all in on “pay to play“. Especially when the ACC fall apart and they get regulated.

Reaction Score
This could lead to those schools who play FBS football to drop men's hockey because of Title IX.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom