NCAA seeding for Cincy | The Boneyard

NCAA seeding for Cincy

Reaction Score
Virginia No. 1 overall in NCAA bracket preview

I know they are ranked 6th and have only 2 losses.

BUT--the NCAA gave them a 2 seed. It's good for the AAC because...

Cincy hasn't really beaten anyone of note OOC.

Their UCLA win is no better than UConn's Oregon win.

In the AAC Cincy is undefeated.

I'd say they are crediting the AAC with that 2nd seed.

Reaction Score
They still have two games against Witchita St. Gonna be hard to get to the NCAA tourney with two losses. If they did they would probably get a one seed.

Reaction Score
Cincy still has not played WSU and still
has Houston.. Lets see record then. They have had a easy 6 weeks.

Reaction Score
They're 23-2.

Noted in my initial post.

But Cincy was 29-5 last year, with better wins (Iowa State and Xavier) and they ended up a 6th seed.
SMU was 30-4 last year, and they ended up a 6th seed.
Wichita St was 30-4 and they ended up a 10th seed.

There is a history of these teams with gaudy records getting low seeds.

In Cincy's case, they had a great record last year and 2 big wins over ranked OOC teams, which they don't have this year.

SMU got the shaft last year. 4 losses. 6th seed.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
as it has been said, cinci is coming into some tough games
They haven't faced anyone with the inside toughness, skill and bulk as WSU
If they win out, they deserve no lower than a 2 seed BUT their OOC experience might make them an early out - again
Wouldn't care if they went far except for that mental midget

Reaction Score
Noted in my initial post.

But Cincy was 29-5 last year, with better wins (Iowa State and Xavier) and they ended up a 6th seed.
SMU was 30-4 last year, and they ended up a 6th seed.
Wichita St was 30-4 and they ended up a 10th seed.

There is a history of these teams with gaudy records getting low seeds.

In Cincy's case, they had a great record last year and 2 big wins over ranked OOC teams, which they don't have this year.

SMU got the shaft last year. 4 losses. 6th seed.
You're comparing this year to previous years, when this year is unlike those years. The 1 seeds as of right now are Virginia, Nova, Purdue, and Xavier. Does that seem typical to you? If Cincy wins their remaining games they are probably a 1 seed, if they lose both games to WSU and drop another one they could drop to a 5 seed. It isn't all that complicated.

Reaction Score
You're comparing this year to previous years, when this year is unlike those years. The 1 seeds as of right now are Virginia, Nova, Purdue, and Xavier. Does that seem typical to you? If Cincy wins their remaining games they are probably a 1 seed, if they lose both games to WSU and drop another one they could drop to a 5 seed. It isn't all that complicated.

What does Nova, Purdue and Virginia have to do with it? The best ACC team, the best B10 team, and the most consistent of all teams, Nova? Seems typical if that's the point you're making.

So--with 2 more losses--one WSU game, one in the AAC tourney or a WTF game, you envision them dropping from a 2 seed to a 5th or 6th (SMU was a 6th last year at 30-4)?

That's an incredible drop for 2 losses. From the #6 ranked team to practically out of the top 25.

This isn't about whether Cincy deserves it. Clearly they do.

This is about the fact that the committee is giving them more credit for this year than they gave Cincy last year, and for that matter SMU and Wichita St. too.

Reaction Score
What does Nova, Purdue and Virginia have to do with it? The best ACC team, the best B10 team, and the most consistent of all teams, Nova? Seems typical if that's the point you're making.

So--with 2 more losses--one WSU game, one in the AAC tourney or a WTF game, you envision them dropping from a 2 seed to a 5th or 6th (SMU was a 6th last year at 30-4)?

That's an incredible drop for 2 losses. From the #6 ranked team to practically out of the top 25.

This is about the fact that the committee is giving them more credit for this year than they gave Cincy last year, and for that matter SMU and Wichita St. too.
I said if they lose both to WSU and lose another one they could drop to a 5 seed, if they win out they are probably a 1.

I mentioned those teams because this year is atypical of past years, all the heavyweight programs are having somewhat down seasons. I don't see how it is at all strange that a team who is 23-2 would be slotted for a #2 seed at this juncture, especially considering the big boy programs are a bit down.

Reaction Score
I said if they lose both to WSU and lose another one they could drop to a 5 seed, if they win out they are probably a 1.

I mentioned those teams because this year is atypical of past years, all the heavyweight programs are having somewhat down seasons. I don't see how it is at all strange that a team who is 23-2 would be slotted for a #2 seed at this juncture, especially considering the big boy programs are a bit down.

All I'm saying is that our conference champ at 30-4 was a 6th seed just last year.

Their 11 ranking in the AP Poll netted them that seed (about 2 or 3 seeds too low).

Cincy's schedule is actually no better than SMU's last year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Before this goes 12 pages over a disagreement that is actually an agreement....

I think we agree that Cincy is fairly seeded and that we’re somewhat amazed that they’re being fairly seeded.

Reaction Score
Before this goes 12 pages over a disagreement that is actually an agreement....

I think we agree that Cincy is fairly seeded and we’re somewhat amazed that they’re being fairly seeded.

Yes, my apologies

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
they could potentially overtake novas one seed because losing to st johns is a no no.

St. Johns then beat Duke, which no doubt makes Nova's loss to them a "Good loss" in the committee's view.

Reaction Score
All I'm saying is that our conference champ at 30-4 was a 6th seed just last year.

Their 11 ranking in the AP Poll netted them that seed (about 2 or 3 seeds too low).

Cincy's schedule is actually no better than SMU's last year.
I was probably being overly argumentative. They should be seeded where they are and we are used to AAC teams getting screwed. I actually don't think Cincy is all that good but there doesn't seem to be too many really good teams this year. If the NCAA has a chance to justify the big boys being ranked ahead of Cincy at selection time, my guess is they will.

Reaction Score
I think if Cincy could win out and beat both Witch. and Houston on the road they would be deserving of a one. That's assuming as well that some of these other ones are going to lose again which this year is not so unlikely. I haven't gone back and looked at Witch. strength of schedule this year versus in the past, but i would guess it's more difficult in the AAC. They're obviously very good, and to sweep them would be a very solid accomplishment on top of a great year.

Reaction Score
Michigan State being a 3 seed is a joke

Only 3 Quadrant 1 wins. B1G is down and unbalanced schedule they only play Ohio St and Purdue once each. Schedule worked against them.

Reaction Score
Only 3 Quadrant 1 wins. B1G is down and unbalanced schedule they only play Ohio St and Purdue once each. Schedule worked against them.

Purdue's resume is very similar as far as what they did OoC, they've already lost the head to head with MSU, and there's nothing else that can really be accomplished in conference that would warrant them being a 1 and MSU a 3.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Everyone ahead of us is falling apart so a 2 seed is fair at this point. We've got good metrics (#6 RPI) and good predictive rankings (#3 KenPom). Big week coming up with at Houston on Thursday and Wichita at home on Sunday. Right now we are just destroying people. I heard on the broadcast today that if it held up, our scoring margin would be the 3rd best in the last 20 years. We need some close games against quality teams for me to really gauge how good we are.

Reaction Score

Doesn’t matter.

2nd round exit.
So much for the “top” of AAC
Bank on it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member