NCAA points of emphasis for officials this season | The Boneyard

NCAA points of emphasis for officials this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Who wrote this? Here are some gems in the first five points of emphasis.

" ... not all elbow contact with the elbow .... " (distinguishing from elbow contact done with the knee?)

"... legal moves done by the ballhandler will be permitted." (I should hope so.)

"Players must be permitted to move freely and without being held, pushed or rerouted." (I think they wanted a dependent clause without the "and." Otherwise, can one move freely while also being held, pushed or rerouted?)

" ... permit legal moves by ballhandlers ..." (I guess this really is a point of emphasis this year.)

" Restricted Area Rule. The restricted area is the only area on the floor in which a secondary/helpside defender is not permitted to establish initial guarding position and remain in this area to draw a charge on a player with the ball or a player who has released the ball on a pass or shot. Secondary/helpside defenders who are not defending the player with the ball or the player who has released the ball on a pass or shot are permitted to draw a charge in this area." (All I'll say is my head was spinning too much after reading this one to go on any further.)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score

" ... not all elbow contact with the elbow .... " (distinguishing from elbow contact done with the knee?)

"... legal moves done by the ballhandler will be permitted." (I should hope so.)

"Players must be permitted to move freely and without being held, pushed or rerouted." (I think they wanted a dependent clause without the "and." Otherwise, can one move freely while also being held, pushed or rerouted?)

" ... permit legal moves by ballhandlers ..." (I guess this really is a point of emphasis this year.)

" Restricted Area Rule. The restricted area is the only area on the floor in which a secondary/helpside defender is not permitted to establish initial guarding position and remain in this area to draw a charge on a player with the ball or a player who has released the ball on a pass or shot. Secondary/helpside defenders who are not defending the player with the ball or the player who has released the ball on a pass or shot are permitted to draw a charge in this area." (All I'll say is my head was spinning too much after reading this one to go on any further.)
I'm with you. After I read this my head was spinning.... I thought I'd had too much caffeine.

Reaction Score

" ... not all elbow contact with the elbow .... " (distinguishing from elbow contact done with the knee?) ...
Let's hope the rule distinguishes the low-knee from the hi-knee. :)

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I definitely do not like the "pivot foot may be lifted" provision. That was a travel when I played and should still be a travel...some of the jump-stop, pivot and then take a step stuff they allow now is ridiculous!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
How about points of emphasis that reduce the number of whistles being blown rather than increasing them and just letting the kids play?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I definitely do not like the "pivot foot may be lifted" provision. That was a travel when I played and should still be a travel...some of the jump-stop, pivot and then take a step stuff they allow now is ridiculous!

That's because coaches complained that their kids should be allowed to travel - it makes the game more exciting (I'm not kidding).

"Just let them play?" Yah, that cop out always works.. until you think you team's being mauled.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
How about points of emphasis that reduce the number of whistles being blown rather than increasing them and just letting the kids play?

I believe that's why they stated at least twice that they are going to essentially allow what is allowable with the ballhandlers. Then again, it's hard in many places to discern exactly what they were thinking.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I think (I think) it is trying to say is you can't pick up the charge by sitting in the RA...i.e. the dribbler drives to the hoop past the Defender and the Secondary defender sits in the RA and tries to draw the charge - can't do that.
But other players can be in the RA and draw charges - I'm thinking here on rebounds, or player gets a rebound and lowers the shoulder to put it back up and the defender is in the RA.

I think???

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We are persistent critics of women's basketball officials. It is often justified and focused on a few notable incompetents.

They have a tough enough job and for them to now have to try to comprehend, let alone comply with, drivel like this published official guidance does nothing to inspire confidence that the situation will improve.

I fear that the likelihood is that what has been marginal will actually deteriorate.

Maybe we need replacement refs. At least for Bonita, Sally, June, or Dee.

Reaction Score
Let's hope the rule distinguishes the low-knee from the hi-knee. :)
It is asinine. All the elbow and knee rules were developed by the joint-chiefs-of-staff. I like it that legal moves will be permitted. No more phantom fouls!

Reaction Score
I like the points of emphasis although I do not fully understand the last one regarding the logos..

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
That's because coaches complained that their kids should be allowed to travel - it makes the game more exciting (I'm not kidding).

"Just let them play?" Yah, that cop out always works.. until you think you team's being mauled.
Snark and sarcasm notwithstanding...

The NBA actually agrees that players being allowed to travel makes the game more exciting. For the record, I don't entirely disagree. It increases the number of explosive plays.

And yes, unless the game is getting chippy and there's a risk of a fight or someone getting hurt, I would rather the refs blew their whistles as rarely as possible. It's incredibly painful to watch a game with no flow.

Reaction Score

I dont get it?:rolleyes: " Explain it to me like I was a 6 year old";)
Ira

Reaction Score
wow only have one thought here...the quality of play is already so far above the quality of officiating in a lot of cases in division 1, seems rather silly to add more for a lot of mediocre officials to digest...i have coached basketball for 30 years and a lot of what i read does not make sense...just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom