OT: - NCAA news and notes (offseason) | The Boneyard

OT: NCAA news and notes (offseason)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Here's a start -
  • The NCAA Women's Basketball Rules Committee recommended a one-game suspension be added to the ejection of players, coaches or bench personnel who make physical contact or threaten referees.
  • The committee proposed expanding video replay review to include whether a player's foot last touching the court was inbounds on a made shot before time expired.

Reaction Score
I like the one game suspension idea, but we all know that it will not be applied consistently.
That and if you get ejected a minute into the game it effectively turns into a 2-game suspension.

Reaction Score
Yes, best advice is just don't do it.

Speaking of applying the suspension rule consistently, what constitutes "threatens" a referee. Does it have to be explicit and spoken or can it be without contact but yelling or cursing from the player, coach or the bench because of a call as example? And who will be the arbiter of that - the referee directly involved and/or one of the other refs?

Reaction Score
Why not do what other sports do. If you get ejected after half time then it's a next game suspension.

Reaction Score
The referees need to do a better job if they don't want to get the business. Most of the time a player chirps it is because and obvious foul was completely ignored and in that instance they should get an ear full. At the same time if the player ever actually makes physical contact with a referee for any reason they need to be suspended and that needs to be for more than one game.

To me the game has gotten out of hand on the women's side. I watch WCBB because I appreciate the finesse and the athleticism the young ladies possess and the more it gets like the men's game the less I will watch. I also think if two players have a physical confrontation they need to be suspended too. This action must be removed from the game completely.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yes, best advice is just don't do it.

Speaking of applying the suspension rule consistently, what constitutes "threatens" a referee. Does it have to be explicit and spoken or can it be without contact but yelling or cursing from the player, coach or the bench because of a call as example? And who will be the arbiter of that - the referee directly involved and/or one of the other refs?
I'm not sure it happens a lot, period. The conduct is defined in the article as:

"The rule book already defines this conduct as anyone who "disrespectfully contacts an official or makes a threat of physical intimidation or harm to include pushing, shoving, spitting, or attempting to make physical contact with an official."" and currently they get expelled, just not suspended.

I have never seen many expulsions - and most techs are for mouthing off, but I don't think the coaches, or most players, escalate it to a threat.

As the article says, it is a message of support for officials. The way things seem to be going, at least in some folks viewpoint, might suggest this is a good preventative. But I don't think this is currently a problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom