NCAA must be cogitating over this one. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA must be cogitating over this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Read my earlier post on this thread. Big star at South Windsor High in the early 70s. 6'9" hs aa. Maryland wanted him very badly and got him. Had a decent college career. My kids went to SW high in late 80s early 90s and Tom Roy stuff was all over the trophy case.
Thanks, I went back and caught it. Interesting since I do not remember Tom Roy at all.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Recruiting behaviors are over the top, in general.

The RU fan club was once - many years ago - given a tour - pre-arranged - of the locker room, designed ultimately to elicit donations to upgrade. Accidently, we saw a locker with a uniform number, name etc. which we didn't recognize. Later "investigation" revealed it was a (not famous) recruit that was on a visit - we didn't get her. But reading in publications revealed that this sort of thing is typical of what goes on. Manipulative? I would say so. OK at the time? Yes, although boosters should never have seen it, but that was just bad timing. And this was a long time ago, when I think things were a bit less sophisticated - say 12 or more years ago.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Going under the assumption the billboard is not kosher under NCAA rules, what would the penalty be? Is it a secondary violation? If so, if the billboard encourages Mercedes to sign with Louisville, then IMHO the secondary violation is worth the risk.

The article does mention Louisville, but I wonder if they actually paid for the billboard or was it paid for by a family member or friend of the Schimmel sisters who both play for Louisville

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Going under the assumption the billboard is not kosher under NCAA rules, what would the penalty be? Is it a secondary violation? If so, if the billboard encourages Mercedes to sign with Louisville, then IMHO the secondary violation is worth the risk.

The article does mention Louisville, but I wonder if they actually paid for the billboard or was it paid for by a family member or friend of the Schimmel sisters who both play for Louisville

I don't see where that distinction would make any difference to the NCAA. They would be viewed as Louisville supporters and purchasing that billboard space would be a no-no. A UConn supporter cannot even give a recruit a homemade sign.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

I wouldn't be surprised if Louisville had the same line of thinking. First of all, it's just WBB, so maybe no one will notice at all. If they do, throw a few mea culpas the NCAA's way, get a slap on the wrist and by that point, the message would have been sent to Mercedes.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I would bet that the billboard is down within a day or two. Clearly Ms. Russell has received the flattering message already (as indicated in the article), so why push your luck? I'll bet it was paid for and organized by boosters, not by the school. (I know that doesn't make it copecetic, but I would be stunned if the school/athletic department was this foolish.) I guess wcbb is getting bigger if boosters are infiltrating the culture. It makes me wonder if there are any other shadier actitivties (such as payments to recruits) occurring in wcbb recruiting. Sad development, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom