NCAA first seeding reveal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA first seeding reveal

Reaction Score
This is a gross distortion of the S-curve, which should put the 12th overall team in the same bracket as 4 and 5.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Won't there be two one seeds in Albany....one in each 4 team pod?
If we remain a 3 seed in South Carolina's pod...we might meet them there.
Is it just as reasonable...as Plebe says [I think]... that we might be the 3 seed in the
other 4 team pod...meeting the other one seed?
Yes, as I mentioned earlier, it's probably about 50/50 odds whether we'll be in SC's bracket in Albany or in the other Albany bracket.

Of course, for that to even matter at all we'd need to win the first two rounds AND the sweet 16 game, neither of which is a foregone conclusion.

It's also entirely possible that UConn falls to a high 4 seed, which if anything might increase our odds of being placed in the non-SC Albany bracket.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is a gross distortion of the S-curve, which should put the 12th overall team in the same bracket as 4 and 5.
Some departure from the S-curve is necessitated by the rule that the top 4 Pac-12 schools have to be in separate regionals. UCLA (#7) could not be with Stanford (#2); they were moved to S. Carolina's bracket instead. That then forced USC (#9), as the 4th Pac-12 team, into Ohio State's bracket as the #3 seed. This in turn meant the only landing spot in Albany for UConn as a #3 seed was SC's bracket.

The committee could have put Virginia Tech in Albany and sent UConn out to Portland instead, but they most likely to want to keep UConn in Albany.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
All of this idle speculation assumes that the seeding holds, but a 3 seed could end up playing a 15-seed in the Sweet 16 and a 16-seed in the Elite 8. This reveal and any seeding -- especially in this year of upsets -- doesn't have a lot of meaning.

Reaction Score
I keep wondering how that happened? Is that a fluke or preferential treatment? Seems unfair.
It's one of the things I hate about big conferences. I prefer the old days when the PAC-12 teams did a home and away, but teams want two more non-conference games. For several years before this year, they didn't play one travel pair twice; this year, two travel pairs didn't play twice. This year UCLA, USC, Colorado, and Utah. Last year, they only played Oregon and Oregon State once. In the 21-22 season, they only played Arizona and Arizona State twice. In 2020 they only played Washington and Washington State once. In 2019 they only played Utah and Colorado once.

So looks like Utah and Colorado were due up for skipping the home and away this year. Not sure how going to play four teams once this year and the Covid year (where they played everyone in the league twice) affected the rotation.

Reaction Score
We ran a Pre-reveal poll on the General Board.

Below are the results of our poll compared to the committee poll, the NET rankings and the AP poll. Interestingly, Our poll and the Committed hit 8 exact rankings and fifteen out of 16 inexact choices!

Committee------------Boneyard Poll-----------NET---------------AP Poll

1 SCar-----------------SCar---------------------SCar--------------SCar
2 Stan-----------------Stanford----------------Stanford----------Ohio State
3 Ohio State-------- Ohio State-------------- UConn------------Stanford
4 Colorado-----------Iowa---------------------- Texas--------------Iowa
5. Iowa----------------Texas--------------------- Iowa---------------Texas
6 NCSt---------------- NC State----------------Utah*---------------NC State
7 ucla----------------- UCLA------------------- UCLA--------------K-State
8 Texas ----------------Colorado----------------Ohio State---------- Colorado
9 Southern Cal-------- LSU----------------------LSU----------------- UCLA
10 VaTech--------------Indiana------------------ NC State----------- Southern Cal
11 Oregon st--------- Oregon State----------- Gonzaga----------- Oregon State
12 UConn-------------UConn------------------- Indiana--------------VaTech
13 K-State-------------K-State------------------Notre Dame*--------LSU
14 LSU --------------- VaTech-------------------- K-State--------------Indiana
15 Indiana------------ Southern Cal-------------- Colorado-----------UConn

16 Louisville-----------Gonzaga------------------Southern Cal--------Notre Dame
So much for the all important NET. Anyone still believe that the NET is a major determining factor for the committee? Let's not forget that the committee is made up of human beings. If they were computers there would be no need for a "committee". I don't have too much of a problem with #12 except I think that there are 2 or 3 teams above UConn that are possibly overrated.

#11 Oregon St. not in the NET top 16. Utah #6 in the NET is not in the committee top 16. #4 Colorado is #15 in the NET. Obviously the NET means next to nothing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So much for the all important NET. Anyone still believe that the NET is a major determining factor for the committee? Let's not forget that the committee is made up of human beings. If they were computers there would be no need for a "committee". I don't have too much of a problem with #12 except I think that there are 2 or 3 teams above UConn that are possibly overrated.

#11 Oregon St. not in the NET top 16. Utah #6 in the NET is not in the committee top 16. #4 Colorado is #15 in the NET. Obviously the NET means next to nothing.
NET was never a major determining factor, it’s one of the factors. The discussion about NET started because some UConn fans were upset about polls and others pointed out the polls have nothing to do with seeding and that the NET was more important.

37486A1A-0600-4C8C-A771-E3969B5E1CF9.jpeg

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Looks like the Big East will only have at the MAX 3 teams in the dance. Villanova lost to Butler today, who is ranked #138 by Massey.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
#8 Colorado lost to #22 Utah yesterday and #9 USC lost to #11 Oregon State. Thing will change before the final selections are made

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You aren't a football fan are you? The SEC always protects its projected national championship contenders. (Refs too)

I thought it was an East/West thing in football.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see whether UCONN basketball has any competitive edge left at both the coaching and player level; will the Huskies reach to realize the promise of its highly touted recruits (well-above Big East threshold) or resign itself to top-20 satisfaction excused by injury and roster attrition.
I don’t get it! Are you saying the ( healthy) team, as currently constituted is not reaching its promise? As far as I can tell, it’s already playing well above Big East threshold! I mean, it’s undefeated!

Reaction Score
Sure, I’d rather not face SC early or at all, but if/whenever we do, it’s difficult to believe we won’t play better than last game! We won’t be on their home court, we’ll have some experience for our younglings to draw from, and Brady, especially, will be better prepared! We’re gonna have to beat at least two really good teams! Let’s hope we play well and they don’t:) Bring them on!

Reaction Score
It's one of the things I hate about big conferences. I prefer the old days when the PAC-12 teams did a home and away, but teams want two more non-conference games. For several years before this year, they didn't play one travel pair twice; this year, two travel pairs didn't play twice. This year UCLA, USC, Colorado, and Utah. Last year, they only played Oregon and Oregon State once. In the 21-22 season, they only played Arizona and Arizona State twice. In 2020 they only played Washington and Washington State once. In 2019 they only played Utah and Colorado once.

So looks like Utah and Colorado were due up for skipping the home and away this year. Not sure how going to play four teams once this year and the Covid year (where they played everyone in the league twice) affected the rotation.
Complicated!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
NET was never a major determining factor, it’s one of the factors. The discussion about NET started because some UConn fans were upset about polls and others pointed out the polls have nothing to do with seeding and that the NET was more important.

View attachment 96547

What is thought of as a bad loss? Is Clemson a bad loss?

Reaction Score
I don’t get it! Are you saying the ( healthy) team, as currently constituted is not reaching its promise? As far as I can tell, it’s already playing well above Big East threshold! I mean, it’s undefeated!
I’m saying the team consisted/almost always beats Big East teams against which it has superior talent. It struggles to find another great to compete with more elite competition, even where it is not at a size disadvantage. The ND game stood out in that regard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom