NCAA denies South Carolina's Littleton waiver. Does this give any clue to Westbrook? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA denies South Carolina's Littleton waiver. Does this give any clue to Westbrook?

Reaction Score
I love dawn more than most but... this is not a good luck! For the second time after having a waiver request denied she as implied that other schools are "lying" in their applications to the NCAA.

“I handled it that way, because when we’re asking the NCAA to approve someone for a waiver, we tell the truth."

Dawn, candidly you are better than this!
I'll never get how she expected Cooper to get approved. Getting kicked off of your team does not warrant immediate eligibility. Littleton didn't seem to have much of a reason either. Bad coaching,? That was her fault to begin with! They are fools

Reaction Score

Hmmmm.... besides Shepard, what other transfer did Notre Dame have the waiver approval??

Reaction Score
I think it was only right. If there isn’t a coaching change, serious injury to player and wants to transfer closer to family, or death in the family...I don’t think an approval should be granted. I don’t think they need Littleton anyway.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Another thing I didn't know about Littleton, which was stated in the SC release on the waiver denial, is that she's now classified as a redshirt sophomore. I knew she'd played sparingly in her freshman year, but apparently she in fact met the requirements for a medical hardship waiver after having played in only 8 games that season.

So with the waiver denial, she'll be in her redshirt junior year in the 5th year of her 5-year clock. She might then petition the NCAA for a 6th year of eligibility.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Based on the waiver denial for Littleton, it’s hard to see how the NCAA would then grant a waiver to Sedona Prince. In addition, the news out of OR is that Prince is still rehabbing her leg.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Based on the waiver denial for Littleton, it’s hard to see how the NCAA would then grant a waiver to Sedona Prince. In addition, the news out of OR is that Prince is still rehabbing her leg.
In the spirit of this entire thread I think some are attempting to make too many inferences. Basis of Littleton waiver="Personal". Basis of Prince waiver request="Medical" . Basis of Evina waiver request= "we don't know". Did we even get confirmation that Oregon has actually submitted a waiver request for Prince. I sure hope Mikayla Coombs get her request approved.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In the spirit of this entire thread I think some are attempting to make too many inferences. Basis of Littleton waiver="Personal". Basis of Prince waiver request="Medical" . Basis of Evina waiver request= "we don't know". Did we even get confirmation that Oregon has actually submitted a waiver request for Prince. I sure hope Mikayla Coombs get her request approved.
Yes, OR submitted a waiver request on behalf of Prince.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Yes, OR submitted a waiver request on behalf of Prince.

I actually think their situation is quite different, although that obviously doesn't mean Prince's request will be granted. After last week's scrimmage, Graves sounded cautiously optimistic about the request being successful. But--you're right--he also doesn't expect her to be completely up to speed until January, when, hopefully, her medical issues will be well in the past. She is practicing with the team, however, and, among other things, apparently dunks with some frequency. In Graves's words, "we will be tough to beat" if she's cleared and healthy by January or so.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I actually think their situation is quite different, although that obviously doesn't mean Prince's request will be granted. After last week's scrimmage, Graves sounded cautiously optimistic about the request being successful. But--you're right--he also doesn't expect her to be completely up to speed until January, when, hopefully, her medical issues will be well in the past. She is practicing with the team, however, and, among other things, apparently dunks with some frequency. In Graves's words, "we will be tough to beat" if she's cleared and healthy by January or so.
I suspect any HC who’s submitted a waiver request that has yet to be announced is “cautiously optimistic.” ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
His team but I'm not sure Graves is playing this correctly. Oregon is already ranked #1.
In the words of Jayz: " How you gon' upgrade me what's higher than number one?"

If Price is not going to be available until January why not let her sit and give her 4 full years with the loaded recruiting class coming in in 2020?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In the words of my favorite movie Mean Girls " God you're so stupid gretchen"
images

Reaction Score
I'll never get how she expected Cooper to get approved. Getting kicked off of your team does not warrant immediate eligibility. Littleton didn't seem to have much of a reason either. Bad coaching,? That was her fault to begin with! They are fools

Cooper sat out an entire season and couldn't play at the school where she was enrolled. Seems as reasonable ask as some that have been granted.

I'm a big proponent of doing away with this discretion. Have the rule or don't have the rule. Enough with the exceptions.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Great recap and parsing of the different cases.
Based on my viewing of the waivers the last 3 years, situations completely out of the students hands are allowed to play immediately-abusive coach getting fired (Nebraska, GaTech); illness’s of key family members (mother/father/sibling) but playing time is not one of them. Collins, Littleton, Cooper and Coombs do not or did not quality under those scenarios. Evina may have a slight chance due to the vitriol her family incurred during the season from the fans and whatever the “outside” distractions were she referenced with the coaching. What UConn actually stated is unknown but it had to contain concern for the players well being to be successful. That’s my limited view of circumstances exhibited by the NCAA. Again if all other non-revenue athletes can transfer, so should WCBB.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Great recap and parsing of the different cases.
Based on my viewing of the waivers the last 3 years, situations completely out of the students hands are allowed to play immediately-abusive coach getting fired (Nebraska, GaTech); illness’s of key family members (mother/father/sibling) but playing time is not one of them. Collins, Littleton, Cooper and Coombs do not or did not quality under those scenarios. Evina may have a slight chance due to the vitriol her family incurred during the season from the fans and whatever the “outside” distractions were she referenced with the coaching. What UConn actually stated is unknown but it had to contain concern for the players well being to be successful. That’s my limited view of circumstances exhibited by the NCAA. Again if all other non-revenue athletes can transfer, so should WCBB.

It's still inconsistent though. Shepard and Romeo from Nebraska were granted immediate eligibility, but Chandler Smith wasn't. They all played for the same coaching staff during the same time frame. How does that make sense?

Also Mallory McGwire and Anneli Maley left Oregon at the same time. Maley was immediately eligible at TCU while McGwire had to sit a year at Boise St. Wouldn't players at the same school be subject to the same situation? I can't understand how some get an exception and others don't.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's still inconsistent though. Shepard and Romeo from Nebraska were granted immediate eligibility, but Chandler Smith wasn't. They all played for the same coaching staff during the same time frame. How does that make sense?

Also Mallory McGwire and Anneli Maley left Oregon at the same time. Maley was immediately eligible at TCU while McGwire had to sit a year at Boise St. Wouldn't players at the same school be subject to the same situation? I can't understand how some get an exception and others don't.
Did Boise State seek a waiver for McGwire?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree with you there have been a ton of inconsistencies. Brooke Kissinger and Chatrice White both from Illinois. Brooke had to sit at Creighton White was immediately eligible at FSU.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Did Boise State seek a waiver for McGwire?

I don't know the answer to that question. The way things are currently, I don't know why every transfer doesn't seek a waiver for immediate eligibility. Doesn't hurt to try.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I don't know the answer to that question. The way things are currently, I don't know why every transfer doesn't seek a waiver for immediate eligibility. Doesn't hurt to try.
Geno didn't seek the waiver for Butler or Stevens. Not every coach/program sees it as a no-brainer.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Geno didn't seek the waiver for Butler or Stevens. Not every coach/program sees it as a no-brainer.

I don't think OSU applied for a waiver for Slocum either. Would've been interesting having her available during Gulich's Sr. year, but of course it didn't happen.

Or McDonald at Arizona.

I suppose in some instances a transfer really isn't needed immediately and it's actually better for depth/rotation to wait a year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Let me parse your statements to understand and research:
Romero transferred immediately when the Yori situation occurred. No endorsement was needed.
Sheppard gave the new staff a year, the transferred, was given full endorsement from Nebraska coaching staff.
I will have to look at when Chandler officially left.
MCGuire and Marley both left a “good” program” so if their reasoning was the same, then yes both should have had to wait a year. Maley may have extenuating circumstances attached to hers. I will see what I can find.

Reaction Score
Seems like Geno is insinuating someone was dishonest.
Not sure what he was expecting out of Tennessee. They weren't going to bend over backwards to help Westbrook or UConn. I mean Tennessee isn't like UConn where if a player wants to leave UConn does whatever it can to facilitate that in the best interest of the student-athlete, even if said player is transferring to a conference rival.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I will have to look at when Chandler officially left.

I think she left the same time as Romeo. I think the Gonzaga folks were fairly salty that she had to sit a year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maley may have extenuating circumstances attached to hers. I will see what I can find.

She ended up bailing on TCU and returning to Australia I believe, so much ado about nothing in the end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom