NCAA Bids/Units/Expectations by Conference | The Boneyard

NCAA Bids/Units/Expectations by Conference

Reaction Score
It always seems to be en vogue to use the NCAA tournament to compare the conferences so some random stats since the COVID shutdown:

First Total Bids:
32 - Big Ten
28 - Big XII, SEC
22 - ACC
18 - Big East
16 - Mountain West, Pac-12
9 - WCC
8 - American
7 - A-10
5 - Missouri Valley
4 - Everyone but the Ivy League (who sat out 2021)

Total Units Earned: (Each win until you reach the Final Four earns a unit, meaning we already have this year's total units earned)
64 - Big XII, Big Ten
58 - ACC
57 - SEC
47 - Big East
43 - Pac-12
24 - Mountain West
22 - WCC

This of course lends itself to the narratives about the power conference's strength, etc

Units Above Expectation --- So this is the comparison of units earned to the number of units expected based on the conference's seeds. Teams in Play-Ins get 0.5 units expected, as the winner of the play-in games earn units.

Most of the time conferences are pretty close and obviously putting more teams in the tournament puts you more at risk, particularly if you have a lot of high seeds:

+13.5 - ACC
+5.5 - Pac-12 (mostly in 2021)
+5 - C-USA (thanks FAU)
+3 - Ivy, MAAC
+2 - A-10, Big East, Summit, WAC
//// 19 conferences between -1 and +1.5
-2 - WCC
-12.5 - Big Ten (+1 this year; their first positive in the last four)
-13.5 - SEC (-4 this year, have never been above expectations)
-16 - Big XII (-7 this year; Kansas' title run in 2022 is the only time they broke even, every other year they've been at least 4 units (wins) under expectations)

Reaction Score
I am sure the power conferences exert influence on the committee to secure additional bids.

There is likely a desire to appease them to prevent them from breaking loose from the current ncaa owned tournament structure.

This is likely only going to get worse for the non-power conferences.

Reaction Score
It's crazy that the MWC has 2 less bids than the BE over this span.

16 bids and 24 units? 8 wins? That's it? What more proof do you need that this is a weak conference?

Also, how in the world is a first 4 win on a Tuesday worth more than winning the national championship or a Final 4 game?

The NCAA is absurd and bizarre.

Reaction Score
does anyone know how the big east splits units among the schools?

Reaction Score
It always seems to be en vogue to use the NCAA tournament to compare the conferences so some random stats since the COVID shutdown:

First Total Bids:
32 - Big Ten
28 - Big XII, SEC
22 - ACC
18 - Big East
16 - Mountain West, Pac-12
9 - WCC
8 - American
7 - A-10
5 - Missouri Valley
4 - Everyone but the Ivy League (who sat out 2021)

Total Units Earned: (Each win until you reach the Final Four earns a unit, meaning we already have this year's total units earned)
64 - Big XII, Big Ten
58 - ACC
57 - SEC
47 - Big East
43 - Pac-12
24 - Mountain West
22 - WCC

This of course lends itself to the narratives about the power conference's strength, etc

Units Above Expectation --- So this is the comparison of units earned to the number of units expected based on the conference's seeds. Teams in Play-Ins get 0.5 units expected, as the winner of the play-in games earn units.

Most of the time conferences are pretty close and obviously putting more teams in the tournament puts you more at risk, particularly if you have a lot of high seeds:

+13.5 - ACC
+5.5 - Pac-12 (mostly in 2021)
+5 - C-USA (thanks FAU)
+3 - Ivy, MAAC
+2 - A-10, Big East, Summit, WAC
//// 19 conferences between -1 and +1.5
-2 - WCC
-12.5 - Big Ten (+1 this year; their first positive in the last four)
-13.5 - SEC (-4 this year, have never been above expectations)
-16 - Big XII (-7 this year; Kansas' title run in 2022 is the only time they broke even, every other year they've been at least 4 units (wins) under expectations)
It's unclear, but from your wording I'm not sure if you counted the initial units you get for playing in the first game. You don't get a unit per win, you get one per game. So a play in winner is expected 1.5, not 0.5.

Reaction Score
Evenly
I’m not sure about that.. I couldn’t find anything on what the spilt is.. but a old article I found on the internet said.. schools that earn more ncca units in the big east get a bigger payout

Reaction Score
It's unclear, but from your wording I'm not sure if you counted the initial units you get for playing in the first game. You don't get a unit per win, you get one per game. So a play in winner is expected 1.5, not 0.5.
I computed as one for appearing then one for each game you’re the bigger seed. The play-in winners are the same seed so the expected winner for that is split. A play in participant is expected at 1.5. The winner gets 2 the loser 1.

So the 16 seed full bracket participant is expected to get 1. The playin 1.5. A one seed is expected at 5, a two gets 4, a four 3, an eight 2 and the rest are either 1 or 1.5

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom