NCAA’s Emmert: It is time to decentralize college sports | The Boneyard

NCAA’s Emmert: It is time to decentralize college sports

Reaction Score
Emmert uses the "P" word....time for college sports to, you know, pivot.

“You can lean back and do nothing and then just wait and see what happens,” Emmert said. “Or you can say, ‘Look, we’re in it. This is a new era.’ We need to take advantage of it, pivot as much as we can toward the areas that I was just talking about and and embrace that change rather than fighting it.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Never underestimate Emmert’s ability to turn something to crap.

“You can lean back and do nothing and then just wait and see what happens,” Emmert said. “Or you can say, ‘Look, we’re in it. This is a new era.’ We need to take advantage of it, pivot as much as we can toward the areas that I was just talking about and and embrace that change rather than fighting it.”

Translation: “You can lean back and do nothing and then just wait and see what happens or you can just say you are going to lean back and do nothing and pretend that that is a plan.”

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Emmert uses the "P" word....time for college sports to, you know, pivot.

Hilarious to think of an “amateur” organization needing to pivot their business model

Reaction Score
Hilarious to think of an “amateur” organization needing to pivot their business model

Think of it as less a pivot than a continuation move...the Autonomy Five was just the shoulder dropping and the foot coming around.

CL82

Reaction Score
Think of it as less a pivot than a continuation move...the Autonomy Five was just the shoulder dropping and the foot coming around.
Wait, haven't you been telling us how happy the P5 was with the current NCAA arrangement for last six months or so? Don't get me wrong. I fully agree with this post. It just seems like a bit of a... pivot... for you.

Reaction Score
The P5 is happy....(nothing I have said changes that). But as Emmert says, the court case changes things even more....schools will evolve further...the distance between Alabama and Old Dominion will widen...

Already, the distance between Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, and Indiana and Wake Forest is pretty clear...if programs have a free reign with deregulation of the NCAA, it will be another age of the robber barons. Already, the veneer of amateurism was pretty darn thin...now it will all but disappear...

Those programs with deep pocket donors like the SEC and some Big Ten and a couple of Big 12 programs, will be able to buy teams far different from those with smaller wallets.

CL82

Reaction Score

Wait, haven't you been telling us how happy the P5 was with the current NCAA arrangement for last six months or so?

The P5 is happy....(nothing I have said changes that).

[Shrugs]

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This was obviously foreseeable.

And most people didn’t see it coming

Reaction Score
This was obviously foreseeable.

And most people didn’t see it coming
The course of the river was foreseeable. Seeing the NCAA take it (and not just talk about taking it) instead of trying to swim upstream is a whole other deal itself.

This all being said, decentralized sports suck (boxing). There has to be one central scheduler, rules decider, and championship organizer. Hopefully the revenue sports can make their own smaller sport specific organizations. Conference level organizations being the primaries would be a disaster for college basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The P5 is really the power 20 anyway....the other 45 or so in the Autonomous Conferences are just moons that got attached to the right planets.
This. The football pie will shrink, but in a way where the Alabamas and Ohio States will benefit.

the Q

Reaction Score
The course of the river was foreseeable. Seeing the NCAA take it (and not just talk about taking it) instead of trying to swim upstream is a whole other deal itself.

This all being said, decentralized sports suck (boxing). There has to be one central scheduler, rules decider, and championship organizer. Hopefully the revenue sports can make their own smaller sport specific organizations. Conference level organizations being the primaries would be a disaster for college basketball.

Nah.

Give me chaos at this point.

Everyone who couldn’t foresee it should get exactly what they asked for

Reaction Score
Operative wording....

Emmert said the NCAA's more than 1,100 member schools should consider a less homogenous approach to the way sports are governed and re-examine the current three division structure, which includes 355 Division I colleges.

Reaction Score
I propose truth in naming....just two Divisions...the H and the EE...(Haves and Everyone Else)

CL82

Reaction Score
Operative wording....

Emmert said the NCAA's more than 1,100 member schools should consider a less homogenous approach to the way sports are governed and re-examine the current three division structure, which includes 355 Division I colleges.
It looks like he's positioning the NCAA to continue to administer the non-money championships and is preparing to throw the enforcement group overboard in order to it. The question is whether that justifies allowing them to keep the take from March Madness. If there is a less expensive way to do that, why wouldn't the P5 just walk with enough schools to make the MM a viable money maker?

the Q

Reaction Score
It looks like he's positioning the NCAA to continue to administer the non-money championships and is preparing to throw the enforcement group overboard in order to it. The question is whether that justifies allowing them to keep the take from March Madness. If there is a less expensive way to do that, why wouldn't the P5 just walk with enough schools to make the MM a viable money maker?

Just have all the p5s in. Every year

Reaction Score
Since P5 is a football designation...and basketball power is not necessarily synonomous...It wouldn't seem to work...

But, brand new idea....have two BB tournaments...P5 and non P5....let the winners meet for the National Championship...two tournaments to watch, big lead up and millions cheering for each champ...Do away with the NIT.

CL82

Reaction Score
Just have all the p5s in. Every year
Too small and given the Big East's success, I think they have to make the cut.

Off the top of my head, the P5, football independents, the Big East and who else?

the Q

Reaction Score
Too small and given the Big East's success, I think they have to make the cut.

Off the top of my head, the P5, football independents, the Big East and who else?

That’s really all you need.

Reaction Score

This is great for people who hate college sports, it's a disaster for college sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom