Votes: 14 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Next game up. The old classic 1995 vs a relatively youngin 2013.

Rebecca Lobo - SR
Pam Webber - SR
Kim Betters - JR
Jen Rizzotti - JR
Jamelle Eliott - JR
Kara Wolters - SO
Carla Berube - SO
Misty Rose - SO
Brenda Marquis - FR
Nykesha Sales - FR
Kelly Hunt - FR

Caroline Doty - SR5
Kelly Faris - SR
Heather Buck - SR5
Bria Hartley - JR
Stephanie Dolson - JR
KML - SO
Brianna Banks - SO
Kiah Stoke - SO
Morgan Tuck - FR
Breanna Stewart - FR
Moriah Jefferson - FR

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I had to flip a coin on this, the coin came up heads =2013.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Who on the 1995 team would guard Bria, Moriah, or Brianna Banks? For that matter, who would guard Breanna Stewart or Morgan Tuck in transition?

One of the attributes that distinguishes more recent UConn teams from earlier teams is the speed of the guards on recent teams, and the emphasis on transition offense. The 1995 team wasn't built for transition on offense or defense. That is probably the single biggest way in which the coaching has improved -- Geno taught himself transition basketball (probably by watching NBA games) and looked for players who could play that way. Recently it has become quite advanced, as the first half against Mississippi State demonstrated.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Hmm. This isn't a good match-up for '95. '13 has Stef, Stewie, AND Kiah to deal with Rebecca and Kara.

Kelly Faris would probably deal pretty well with Nykesha.

Jen vs. Bria is about even. '13's other guards wouldn't get much playing time in all likelihood because they'd have to guard Nykesha and you definitely want Kelly on her.

Nykesha guarding KML. That's an interesting match-up.

It's 3 POYs vs. 5 All-Americans. It'll be close but I'm going to say that '95 is able to limit '13 enough inside that they can win.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This was a very close one for me - To be honest, the 1995 team is so long ago that I don't even remember how good Webber, Betters, Marquis or Hunt were. But IIRC Sales came off the bench even tho she earned starters minutes and was sensational all year long. I have to give the edge to the 1995 class for the leadership of the senior Lobo and the junior Rizotti.

Doty was the starting PG I think for 2013 and Moriah was not ready to harness her speed and lead the team as a freshman. It would be a great game though...! This must be the 4-5 matchup!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who on the 1995 team would guard Bria, Moriah, or Brianna Banks? For that matter, who would guard Breanna Stewart or Morgan Tuck in transition?

One of the attributes that distinguishes more recent UConn teams from earlier teams is the speed of the guards on recent teams, and the emphasis on transition offense. The 1995 team wasn't built for transition on offense or defense. That is probably the single biggest way in which the coaching has improved -- Geno taught himself transition basketball (probably by watching NBA games) and looked for players who could play that way. Recently it has become quite advanced, as the first half against Mississippi State demonstrated.
Not sure about that. Defensively Sales & Rizzoti are number 1 & 3 alltime on the UCONN steals list. Sales has almost 100 more steals (96) than #2 Moriah. Jen was plenty fast, a one man fast break.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I just think 2013 was too young at that point to beat that 95 team and since I've watched a good bit of video on both... 95 was just a real gritty team. I think 95 would be real physical and 13's youth would show up.

Reaction Score
1995:
Rizzotti, Webber, Elliott, Lobo, Wolters with Sales & Berube

2013:
Hartley, Doty, KML, Faris, Dolson with Stewie, MoJet, Tuck

Toughie. Probably give the edge to 2013. Unless Dolson gets in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Fun question. Tough call. I went with 1995, as I thought (and continue to think) that 2013 was unlikely to win the NC if Baylor had not been upset by Louisville in the Sweet 16. 1995 had the magic touch. They were not going to lose. They had "it", as have several UConn teams since.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Wouldn't need to guard Moriah as a freshman - she was pretty weak. And Morgan was 'useful' off the bench but not great. That front court of Kara, Rebecca, and Jamelle was very good and Nykesha and Jen were great - who guards Nykesha would be an issue, even as a freshman she would probably give Faris fits. Lobo as a senior against Stewart as a freshman would be worth the price of admission (Stewart as senior would overwhelm her, as a freshman against the senior it would tilt the other way I think.)

Reaction Score
I go with 1995. prime lobo. the pg of 1995 jen was superior to bria who struggled in 2013. the other players sales, wolters and berube pretty darn good.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
These games will only get closer. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads