NBE Presser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NBE Presser

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
And the fans, donors, taxpayers, Burtons, Shenkmans, Fraser’s...

How did they take a check for a million dollars of locker room upgrades knowing they were going to put a stake through the heart of the program?

They are still playing FBS football - just because it's not in the #P6 makes it any more or any less meaningful or interesting to just about everywhere except about 20 people on here and the kid who showed up at the BOT meeting.

Reaction Score
They are still playing FBS football - just because it's not in the #P6 makes it any more or any less meaningful or interesting to just about everywhere except about 20 people on here and the kid who showed up at the BOT meeting.
I love it. There's a decent chance our schedules actually improve by going independent. Its going to be harder, no doubt, but if the right pieces fall in place for once, it'll be an upgrade over our AAC slate. Winnable home games and exciting road games.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I love it. There's a decent chance our schedules actually improve by going independent. Its going to be harder, no doubt, but if the right pieces fall in place for once, it'll be an upgrade over our AAC slate. Winnable home games and exciting road games.

If you accept that post the Louisville invite we were a mid major program, a lot of this is way easier to accept.

Whether it's the AAC or Indy, I don't think it affects the program that much. Indy will be a lot more difficult for obvious reasons, but the AAC had its own challenges.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I think AD David Benedict and LDUPSH need to address the football team, their parents, the staff, their wives and children and tell them why they don’t matter.

Sounds like a great plan and ask them why they agreed to play football in a state that doesn’t care. What are these dramatic posts? Can you all chill out you have no deals yet you all have fell off your rockers.

Reaction Score
As the days go on & the beginnings of the opportunity options come forward ... the loud protestations of a few seem overly dramatic.

I’m not flying to Texas to see our boys. I’m not gonna cry about not playing Tulsa or Tulane or Memphis again. The money seems comparable ...

And we can mob MSG like when we were younger.

Yesterday, a 10 year old at Hurley basketball camp asked about what would happen to football. He grinned ... we are talking about basketball. BTW. Did you guys see those banners up top?

Reaction Score

How many players do you think we will lose to transfer next year?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Guys! Chris Farley is alive!
8848476B-D120-4856-895A-C6BE2CE79C15.png

polycom

Reaction Score
And the fans, donors, taxpayers, Burtons, Shenkmans, Fraser’s...

How did they take a check for a million dollars of locker room upgrades knowing they were going to put a stake through the heart of the program?

I'm sure the donors knew we were going to the Big East because when you give money to schools your opinion matters....

Reaction Score
I'm sure the donors knew we were going to the Big East because when you give money to schools your opinion matters....
Do you really believe this? I know for a fact that some big donors were surprised by the move to the Big East.

Here's a legitimate question: If UConn is going to pay $13 to $15 million to move conferences, would UConn have been better off if they invested an extra $2 million per year on football to make it more competitive and raise our profile for the next potential conference shift in 2023/2024?

polycom

Reaction Score
Do you really believe this? I know for a fact that some big donors were surprised by the move to the Big East.

Here's a legitimate question: If UConn is going to pay $13 to $15 million to move conferences, would UConn have been better off if they invested an extra $2 million per year on football to make it more competitive and raise our profile for the next potential conference shift in 2023/2024?

Yes, people who give enough money to the school get to know what goes on. Think about it this way if there is a family committing millions of dollars yearly, and they are surprised about something/ didn't know it was going to happen and they pull their donation what happens to the athletic department? We are already broke we can't afford to piss off anyone giving a real amount of money to the school.

Reaction Score
that was not the time nor place to bring up football. There will be countless opportunities to ask about football's future. A question about football in that setting would have done nothing but sling mud in the eye of the BE and draw a line in the sand right off the bat between UConn and the BE by forcing the issue in front of the conference and commissioner. It also wouldn't surprise me if a comment was made beforehand that no questions about football would be answered given that there were only 3 questions from a room full of people.
It should. It should sling mud at the Big East. The Catholic schools are what killed the "REAL" Big East in the first place. And now for reasons unknown some in the background of decision making panicked and bailed on a up and coming conference that was the best possible fit for the athletic department in it's entirety. Really stupid move.

Reaction Score
It should. It should sling mud at the Big East. The Catholic schools are what killed the "REAL" Big East in the first place. And now for reasons unknown some in the background of decision making panicked and bailed on a up and coming conference that was the best possible fit for the athletic department in it's entirety. Really stupid move.

C'mon now.. Conference realignment and Pitt and Cuse going to the ACC is what killed the old big east. The whole system that props football supremacy above all others is what killed the big east. Not the catholic schools. The catholic schools are the one that paid us and the other members for the naming rights.

Reaction Score
Hope so -- especially if the state has to fund a quarter of a billion dollars or more to renovate the place!
What would you propose we do with the XL center?

Reaction Score
What would you propose we do with the XL center?
If we were in the ACC or B10 renovations would pay for themselves in a few years. With the NBE I am not so sure. What to do with the XL Center -- what are they going to do with the Rent if UConn drops football?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Yeah when all the football fans can't fill the XL center, you know that their opinion matters

I love football. This state doesn't.
Tell that to the Patriots, Giants, and Jets fans.

Reaction Score
C'mon now.. Conference realignment and Pitt and Cuse going to the ACC is what killed the old big east. The whole system that props football supremacy above all others is what killed the big east. Not the catholic schools. The catholic schools are the one that paid us and the other members for the naming rights.
The football schools when VTech and Miami were still in should have kicked the Catholics out or bought them out for the name(wouldn't have taken much convincing seeing as their mounting legal troubles were really starting to come to the forefront. Catholic priests that is).

Reaction Score
Imagine the league if the Catholics were the ones that left. Not the football schools. Syracuse, Pitt, W. Virginia, Virginia Tech, Miami, BC, UConn, Louisville, Cincy. Rutgers.Then later Temple, Memphis, who knows even ND for B-ball with the same guarantee in football that they have with the ACC now. Hell, if they had bought the Catholics out early enough you'd be looking at Syracuse, Pitt, Penn St, W. Virginia, Virginia Tech, Miami, Uconn, Louisville, Cincy and Rutgers. And possibly Maryland and either Temple or Memphis.

:(What could have been:(

Reaction Score
The Catholic schools always worked to the detriment of the Football schools. In order to keep them from leaving, Dave Gavitt convinced Pitt, West Va, etc. to join. Still, bad behavior by the Catholics. This behavior left the football schools vulnerable. They had to leave or else end up like UConn, Cinci, etc.

Yes, Connecticut loves basketball. I've loved it since 1956, when I played in Charter Oak Terrace.
But, if the powers that be decide to create their own Association, I don't know that I can love watching UConn playing at a lower level than the old Yankee Conf. We won't have the money to justify travel to Marquette. Who wants to root for a team fighting to play in a tournament at a lower level than the NIT?

That new Power Association should have a set of membership criteria which UConn can meet, depending on football success and that of Geno's successor. Other important sports should be less of a problem. Schools like Wake will not meet the criteria and will be out, to be replaced by ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom