NBA not enthralled with Zach Edney | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NBA not enthralled with Zach Edney

Reaction Score
All right, I’m getting smoked here. Feeling like Stetson vs UConn. Pressing on…

I have no issue with today’s centers being able to shoot the 3.

However, Shaq couldn’t shoot outside the paint, nor could Olajawan, or Parish, or any of those players. In fact, none did or could. Yet their teams won. From what I’m hearing here, none of these players with the skill set that they had, would be drafted high or even be starters.

IMO, something along the way got skewed that created this. Which resulted in a superstar college center like Edey being an afterthought in the upcoming draft.

Yes I acknowledge that teams still draft based on who they believe will be able to help their team win, not on marketing.

The NBA front office though only cares about marketing. If bending the on-court rules helps players score more, they’re all in. Especially for any player they consider a star. The game isn’t reffed according to the rule book, it’s reffed according to whom has the ball.

Showtime first, competition second.

Reaction Score
Poor Zach.

I guess he won't be making Facebook Friend Requests for any Boneyarders.

:eek:

Reaction Score
Anyone who seriously compared Clingan and Edey's athleticism clearly hasn't bothered to watch them play. Donovan isn't a "little bit better," he's in the stratosphere athletically compared to Edey. Just a stupid, stupid take.
Thank you!!

Reaction Score
That the NBA doesn’t value Edey is an indictment of the present-day NBA and its decision to roll out a product that long ago decided to sell the “Michael Jordan superstar” marketing image to its audience.

Winning, and competition, are a distant second to packaging when it comes to the NBA product. Edey doesn’t fit the package. The NBA rules as reffed don’t support a player of his talent in the way that college basketball does.

College basketball and the NBA are two different sports. College basketball is all about winning. The NBA is about selling a product first and foremost.

Shaq’s style of play, bullyball, would’ve resulted in him being undervalued in the NBA draft in current times. That is a reflection of the NBA being only a step above professional wrestling. Sad when compared to how the NBA looked and operated before Michael Jordan retired.
You couldn’t say all this and watch nba
Winning in competition are important?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

However, Shaq couldn’t shoot outside the paint, nor could Olajawan, or Parish, or any of those players. In fact, none did or could. Yet their teams won. From what I’m hearing here, none of these players with the skill set that they had, would be drafted high or even be starters.

IMO, something along the way got skewed that created this. Which resulted in a superstar college center like Edey being an afterthought in the upcoming draft.

Yes I acknowledge that teams still draft based on who they believe will be able to help their team win, not on marketing.

The NBA front office though only cares about marketing. If bending the on-court rules helps players score more, they’re all in. Especially for any player they consider a star. The game isn’t reffed according to the rule book, it’s reffed according to whom has the ball.

Olajuwon definitely shot outside the paint. A baseline jumper was a significant part of his game. Robinson had a mid-range jumper too.

It took way too long for people to realize that bigs taking 15-18 footers should not be doing that. If KG came into the NBA today he wouldn’t take any 20-footers—he’d be taking tons of 3s. Because it’s smarter.

Reaction Score
Another consideration is that Don's wing span looks much longer than Zach - they're just different athletes. Height doesn't tell the entire tale. Take for instance, Houston. They are one of the smallest teams in American, yet get their hands on more balls than anyone. A lot of that has to do with their wingspan, not their height. I honestly don't see a lot of comparisons between Edey & Clingan. Totally different players, different body types, different athletes.
Nba values 3 things in the current game for centers
-guard the paint
-play the pick and roll well
-hit the wide open 3
Edey. Comes up short on all 3
Clingan has the first 2 and shows enough good form to believe he can shoot the 3
In short he is and nba center
Imho the only question is will he be a starter
Getting big money on a second contract
Or a rotation player who plays 10-12 years in the league

Reaction Score

The answer as to why the game changed is that the NBA came to fully embrace the three-point shot
The influx of skilled international centers who can shoot the 3 was a
Big influence but in the end the brilliance of stef Curry 3 point shooting ultimately changed the
Game
Unfortunately, the Americans in high school and college(UConn a notable exception) values athleticism to large degree over skill( Kentucky)
just look at the NBA mock draft, and you can see
A projected first round close to half of the players being international players
There is some hope as Cooper Flagg Cameron, boozer, and AJD are obviously very athletic are also very skilled players and projected has the best players in the world at their age

Reaction Score
Nba values 3 things in the current game for centers
-guard the paint
-play the pick and roll well
-hit the wide open 3

Edey. Comes up short on all 3
Clingan has the first 2 and shows enough good form to believe he can shoot the 3
In short he is and nba center
Imho the only question is will he be a starter
Getting big money on a second contract
Or a rotation player who plays 10-12 years in the league
This is a great way of saying this with significantly fewer words than i would have used. Well done.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Edey's NBA prospectus are where they are solely because of his defensive projections. He will be a liability on defense with his lack of speed. I thought Kenny Smith nailed it in his post game assessment by stating he is not on draft boards because he would most likely only be a 6-8 minute spurt a game. The 5 has to be able to guard the perimeter in today's NBA game and Edey cannot do that effectively.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The answer as to why the game changed is that the NBA came to fully embrace the three-point shot
The influx of skilled international centers who can shoot the 3 was a
Big influence but in the end the brilliance of stef Curry 3 point shooting ultimately changed the
Game
Unfortunately, the Americans in high school and college(UConn a notable exception) values athleticism to large degree over skill( Kentucky)
just look at the NBA mock draft, and you can see
A projected first round close to half of the players being international players
There is some hope as Cooper Flagg Cameron, boozer, and AJD are obviously very athletic are also very skilled players and projected has the best players in the world at their age

Not sure it's what's "valued" as much as what happens in terms of training as a practical matter. These international players all start playing pro ball at a young age and, yes, the fundamentals are drilled into them early. Whether it's soccer or basketball or anything else, the US just doesn't throw teenagers into junior pro teams--we don't have them. That's not a bad thing at all, in my view.

A good HS coach can instill fundamentals into his players but he only gets a fraction of a kid's time and AAU ball -- which is understandably used by players to attract interest from colleges -- doesn't help and can be counterproductive. Then they're in college and while, again, a good coach can accomplish a lot, there are plenty of distractions (again, not a bad thing).

Doncic signed with Real Madrid at 13. No American could ever receive the level of training he had.

Reaction Score
Not sure it's what's "valued" as much as what happens in terms of training as a practical matter. These international players all start playing pro ball at a young age and, yes, the fundamentals are drilled into them early. Whether it's soccer or basketball or anything else, the US just doesn't throw teenagers into junior pro teams--we don't have them. That's not a bad thing at all, in my view.

A good HS coach can instill fundamentals into his players but he only gets a fraction of a kid's time and AAU ball -- which is understandably used by players to attract interest from colleges -- doesn't help and can be counterproductive. Then they're in college and while, again, a good coach can accomplish a lot, there are plenty of distractions (again, not a bad thing).

Doncic signed with Real Madrid at 13. No American could ever receive the level of training he had.
Statement at all these international players start playing pro, a young age may or may not be true
But what I think you’re missing is that American players spend just as much time with the game but it’s mostly spent playing games
Not unusual to play 80 to 100 AAU games in a year
International players, or they’re there with a protein we’re not spend it more time working on fundamentals and improving their individual skills
For gaseous when you see the difference between international players and American players

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Statement at all these international players start playing pro, a young age may or may not be true
But what I think you’re missing is that American players spend just as much time with the game but it’s mostly spent playing games
International players, or they’re there with a protein we’re not spend it more time working on fundamentals and improving their individual skills
For gaseous when you see the difference between international players and American players

I wasn’t missing that at all. That was part of my point.

Reaction Score
Saw a great interview with Geno talking about this.

Reaction Score
Clingan is considerably more mobile than Edey. A healthy Donovan Clingan is quite a basketball player. When was the last time someone put up a stat line like 14 points, 14 rebounds and 8 (9?) blocks in an NCAA Tournament game?
LOL!!! I suspect you already know the answers (Hakeem) to this question (David Robinson)

Reaction Score
Raf said it again the other night. DC can shoot the ball and will end up with a very solid 3 point game for his size.
The UConn MBB instagram posted a video the other day from before the game where DC hit lit 8-10 straight 3s from the corner. Its only a matter of when, not if

Reaction Score
Olajuwon definitely shot outside the paint. A baseline jumper was a significant part of his game. Robinson had a mid-range jumper too.

It took way too long for people to realize that bigs taking 15-18 footers should not be doing that. If KG came into the NBA today he wouldn’t take any 20-footers—he’d be taking tons of 3s. Because it’s smarter.
And Ewing was acknowledged as one of the best jump shooters from the center position ever (at the time, LOL).

Reaction Score

I cringe watching old highlights -- college, NBA, good teams, bad teams -- at how many bad shots were taken.

A step or two inside the 3-point line. Pull-up jumpers from 17 feet. Bigs at the high post (Aaliyah Edwards on the women's team takes a ton of these shots and it drives me insane.)

Shooting at that distance is horribly inefficient in a vacuum (the lowest-percentage 2-pointer and lower in efficiency than any reasonable 3) while also not really providing any additional spacing for guards attacking the rim.

How did it take 30 years after the inception of the 3-point shot for people to figure this out?

Reaction Score
Good players are good players, and everyone doesn't need to be the Joker. We are talking about making Edey part of an 8 man rotation when the alternatives are generally some version of a 6'6, mediocre shooting, mediocre defense wing.
Can he make a roster? sure. But that is a far cry from him being a dominant player, a consequential player. I can name 3 or 4 college studs that went on to have uninspired NBA careers: Laettner, Drew Temme, our boy Khalil El Amin, Jahlil Okafor, Ed O'Bannon....my gosh, the list is endless. And being 7'4" and slow as molasses means that any lower extremity injury sidelines you for good. I wish the kid well, but let's not pretend we have not seen our fair share of college studs doing nothing in the NBA.

Reaction Score

Your comparison of Shaq, Olajawon, and Parish with Edney is "apple's and oranges". Different era's. Totally different game, it's like comparing George Mikan with Wilt.

Reaction Score
I cringe watching old highlights -- college, NBA, good teams, bad teams -- at how many bad shots were taken.

A step or two inside the 3-point line. Pull-up jumpers from 17 feet. Bigs at the high post (Aaliyah Edwards on the women's team takes a ton of these shots and it drives me insane.)

Shooting at that distance is horribly inefficient in a vacuum (the lowest-percentage 2-pointer and lower in efficiency than any reasonable 3) while also not really providing any additional spacing for guards attacking the rim.

How did it take 30 years after the inception of the 3-point shot for people to figure this out?
Last line is spot on
European basketball figured it out much earlier

Reaction Score
Why UConn football should join the MAC - NewsBreak
According to 1 NBA scout, he feels that Purdue big man Zach Edney's talent may not translate to the NBA game. Yes, he's 7-4, yes he moves well, however can he move fast enough to cover big men like KD, Yannis, and other 5s? Not sure. Why am I mentioning this? Maybe because DC might be in the same situation. DC does move a little bit better, he has shown an outside shot, although he would definitely have to improve it. Remember that the NBA has a defensive 3 seconds technical foul rile, which precludes big men camping in the paint on D. This means that bigs have to move around the lane, and out to the paint. Just food for thought.
Youve been here since 2011 and dont post much. You should probably stick to that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom