NBA Mock Draft: Alex Karaban | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NBA Mock Draft: Alex Karaban

Reaction Score
Edey went into last season as a proceed top 7 pick. He got exposed for not being ready, so he returned.

The game is very different, basic post'play on the low blot isn't.
This doesn't sound right so I had to take a look. A quick Google search of November (or early December) 2022 NBA mock drafts comes up with the following.

ESPN, December 1, 2022: Edey last pick in the 2nd round.

Bleacher Report, November 23, 2022: Edey not in the 1st or 2nd rounds

Sports Illustrated, November 17, 2022: Edey not in the 1st or 2nd rounds.

Yahoo Sports, November 28, 2022: They only mock the 1st round and Edey isn't in it.

Stadium.com, November 2022: They only mock the 1st round and Edey isn't in it.

I think that's enough to show he wasn't projected as a consensus top 7 pick before last season. If you can find one that had him as a top 7 pick then please post it.

Reaction Score
This doesn't sound right so I had to take a look. A quick Google search of November (or early December) 2022 NBA mock drafts comes up with the following.

Yahoo Sports, November 28, 2022: They only mock the 1st round and Edey isn't in it.

I think that's enough to show he wasn't projected as a consensus top 7 pick before last season. If you can find one that had him as a top 7 pick then please post it.

This man does his homework. Got 'im

Reaction Score
Clingan isn't going second round barring an absolute calamity this year.

My guess is Alex stays for year 3 or goes second round. But if he plays himself into round 1 I ain't complaining. Probably means he's averaging close to 20ppg.
And aside from elite level physical 4s he’s a very legit defender.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

Receipts…

Reaction Score

My guess is Alex stays for year 3 or goes second round. But if he plays himself into round 1 I ain't complaining. Probably means he's averaging close to 20ppg.
I think a healthy and hence well condition, Clingan is a top 10 pick. However, too many here are in denial to what extent his foot has impacted his game. The injury has definitely affected his explosion around the basket, both dunking and blocking shots. That may be both physical and psychological.. Would we have been better off putting his foot in a boot and resting him? Not knowing the injury specifics, I don’t know. I tend to think our record would be worse on 12/31 but it may have given it a better chance to heal?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Alex Karaban showing up on NBA mock draft at 32nd pick of 2024 draft.

Clingan down to 34th pick
I didn't know Goodman ran NBAdraft.net.

Reaction Score
I think a healthy and hence well condition, Clingan is a top 10 pick. However, too many here are in denial to what extent his foot has impacted his game. The injury has definitely affected his explosion around the basket, both dunking and blocking shots. That may be both physical and psychological.. Would we have been better off putting his foot in a boot and resting him? Not knowing the injury specifics, I don’t know. I tend to think our record would be worse on 12/31 but it may have given it a better chance to heal?
None of us know the extent of the injury. I don’t disagree with the idea of playing it safe with any injuries. My counterpoint would be that if he’s fully healthy, the best way to get his explosion and physicality back would be by playing games.

Also, this isn’t at at you at all, but at the board skeptics in general. He scored 45 points in 54 minutes in his first three games. He shut down a potential NBA player and was quietly effective overall against Indiana. He got in foul trouble against Texas, and we just happened to have one of the best backup centers in the country available to play extended minutes.

We’re going to see great things from the big man this year. I plan to enjoy it, and then root for him in the NBA next year.

Reaction Score

This post nails it. If Karaban plays himself into a first round pick, it means he was better than expected, which probably means we had an awesome year. I’ll gladly take that outcome for him and us. If not, I look forward to him tormenting the Big East for another season or two.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Duncan and Shaq would be top 5 picks in any draft any year
There was an era where I would have whole-heartedly agreed with you, but times have changed. Players drafted in today's game are younger, and Duncan and Shaq are just to old nowadays to go that high. Though to be fair, it does sound like it would make a good Pepsi commercial.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
All I know is that from the eye test he is not moving as well as last year. If by the middle of December he is moving like he currently is then the injury is or was more of a factor in regards to what we are seeing on the floor. All you have to do is go back and watch a few games from last season and he was dunking balls. Not sure if he is trying to develop more touch and working on post moves. But more than his running his jumping and first step have been different so far this year.

Reaction Score
Who, Alex? I wouldn't call him particularly physical for a 4, and certainly not an excellent defender. I'd call him average at each.

What separates him is skill level and IQ.
He squeezes pretty much every last bit out of his athletic ability on the defensive end based on his bball IQ, but yeah, he’s no more than average defensively at the college level. He's going to have to be an absolute sniper from 3 to carve out a role in the NBA (which I think he will do). One of the few dudes where you have no question that they’re going to squeeze every last ounce of production out of their athletic ability.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
He squeezes pretty much every last bit out of his athletic ability on the defensive end based on his bball IQ, but yeah, he’s no more than average defensively at the college level. He's going to have to be an absolute sniper from 3 to carve out a role in the NBA (which I think he will do). One of the few dudes where you have no question that they’re going to squeeze every last ounce of production out of their athletic ability.
I have noticed that he and to some extent Cam and Tristan have been taking their shots a good foot behind the 3 pt line

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If one more octagenarian on this board talks about staying in school for another year I'm going to have a cardiac incident.
Then call your heart guy. Frankly. I get why these guys declare, but being a UConn fan first, i don’t do cartwheels. Is the upside for this year’s team higher than the team with Sanogo, AJax and Hawkins, with Castle thrown in and maybe Spencer still comes? Not sure which of the other frosh would still come. May you live long enough to be an octogenarian, I’m just short of that, but if talking about NBA draftability is that big a deal for you, i’m not optimistic Here’s to your long life in a world full of senior citizens. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Walker Kessler opened the door for guys like Clingan by having such a strong rookie year. Block/alter shots, grab rebounds, run the floor, catch lobs. Athletic bigs who protect the rim might be back in style

Karaban is a great stretch 4 already, but if he wants an extended NBA career I think he’d have to pick up some combo F skills. Get stronger, faster, and be able to put the ball on the floor

Edey does not project well into the NBA. He’s slow, doesn’t have range, and plays exclusively in the deep paint. He averaged 22/13/2 on 60% shooting in a NPOY year and couldn’t sniff the draft.

Sanogo didn’t get drafted either, or other dominant college bigs like Cockburn, Tshiebwe, and Timme. Not their fault, just the wrong era for that playstyle

Reaction Score
Edey does not project well into the NBA. He’s slow, doesn’t have range, and plays exclusively in the deep paint. He averaged 22/13/2 on 60% shooting in a NPOY year and couldn’t sniff the draft.
I don’t follow Purdue but I doubt an nba team will design their offense around Edey

Reaction Score
I don’t follow Purdue but I doubt an nba team will design their offense around Edey
If an NBA team designed their offense around Edey they would go 0-82, and I’m not even being facetious

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom