NBA Bound Stephan | Page 9 | The Boneyard

NBA Bound Stephan

Reaction Score
I get why the players want to get paid younger. It doesn't take Warren Buffet to figure out that getting paid $8MM/year at 18 is better than not getting paid $8MM/year until they are 21. But thanks for that.

I don't get why the NBA GMs do it. Anfernee Simons is a perfect example of what is wrong with the current draft. He actually ended up being really good, but not during the window when Portland could have used him. Simons' rookie year, Portland was 53-29 and made the conference finals, but Simons was deep bench and not part of the rotation. By the time Simons got good, Portland had aged out of their competitive window. Now Portland sucks, is in a multi-year rebuild, and by the time they are ready to compete, Simons is going to be gone or in a veteran max contract, and potentially aged out of his prime. Portland is paying him $22 million a year right now for a team that will win 20 to 25 games. Simons is a "successful" draft pick, but the pick did Portland no good at all.

Edit: And another problem is the "Jermaine O'Neal" problem, where a small market player is a multi-time all-star, but no one knows who he is because he didn't play college basketball. A couple of years of college delivers marketable players to the NBA.
The Blazers knew exactly what type of timeline Simons would be on and if he panned out when he would pop, they were not expecting him to contribute to a title chase during those peak Dame/CJM years. If you want to highlight an issue with drafting then you would be better off focusing on the Blazers selecting Zach Collins(via draft day trade) over Bam Adebayo in the 2017 draft.

Last edited:

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Anyone who starts an opinion with "I am also 100% right" is not going to be reasoned with.
And they will probably be Dunning-Kruger types. Can't reason with them.

Reaction Score
The Blazers knew exactly what type of timeline Simons would be on and if he panned out when he would pop, they were not expecting him to contribute to a title chase during those peak Dame/CJM years. If you want to highlight an issue with drafting then you would be better off focusing on the Blazers selecting Zach Collins(via draft day trade) over Bam Adebayo in the 2017 draft.
Yeah this wasn't a surprise to Portland. It's almost like their front office had a plan and expected him to be ready for the post CJ McCollum and Dame years

Reaction Score
Castle looks like an NBA body which is probably enough to get him drafted this year.
- does he play a lot next year? Probably not until hes more of a scoring/shooting threat.

Reaction Score
14 points and 7 assists pretty good for freshman. 6 for 6 on 2P FG. He doesn’t need to shoot 3Ps this, can work on that with pros next year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Anyone who starts an opinion with "I am also 100% right" is not going to be reasoned with.

You are right. Half of the first round of the 2017 draft is no longer playing in the NBA. The draft is working great!!!!

Reaction Score
If Nelson would at end of season post his draft board, I’d pay good money to remove my BY adds to just keep that post there to see how it ages

Reaction Score
He better step up his game to get picked at #5. I think he needs to start and live or die with him in there for 30 minutes a game. Confident in staff to put him in position for both him and team to be successful. I wish we were hearing stories of him shooting 500-1000 threes every day. Needs big minutes to get him in the flow.
If he’s ready for the NBA now then I’m ready for QB on the Packers.

Reaction Score
First I’m a fan of his, glad he’s here and want him to succeed as we all do. Shooting was not a strong suit granted on his resume but as a 5 star, a McD, a top NBA draft pick, according to many here, but it’s surprising to see no shooting touch to this point. And BTW when Ray came to UCONN none of us knew he was the future NBA 3 point leader.
Best finisher around the hoop since Kemba Walker. I feel very confident when he has the ball around the hoop. Needs to work on his shooting, but around the hoop he’s a pure natural. Love to watch him. Jason Williams good around the hoop.

Reaction Score
...or be 100% right.
I agree with this. If someone thinks Nelson’s wrong, then show up with some facts. Me, I have no idea one way or the other, but if someone has something to show then put it out there like Nelson does. That’s all. Don’t just disparage. Nb

Disclaimer: I don’t know NelsonMuntz or even where that name comes from.

Reaction Score
Best finisher around the hoop since Kemba Walker. I feel very confident when he has the ball around the hoop. Needs to work on his shooting, but around the hoop he’s a pure natural. Love to watch him. Jason Williams good around the hoop.
No question he has the NBA body and is creative and strong around the rim. Solid defender. Just waiting for some shooting touch to show up. Its early.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I agree with this. If someone thinks Nelson’s wrong, then show up with some facts. Me, I have no idea one way or the other, but if someone has something to show then put it out there like Nelson does. That’s all. Don’t just disparage. Nb

Disclaimer: I don’t know NelsonMuntz or even where that name comes from.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Whatever show that is, I didn’t watch. My bad!!!!
The Simpsons began as a short feature within The Tracey Ullman Show in 1987, before UConn won even the NIT. I'd already been watching UConn basketball for 25 years. It debuted as a Fox network series in December 1989, near the start of the Dream Season, and is still on the air.

Reaction Score
Definitely not every single NBA front office. There are quite a few teams that just keep dumping draft picks.
You know you're making some decent points when they attack you and not the specifics of your argument.

I'm not an NBA follower, and I'll admit that I'm skeptical because of my poor knowledge base and the possibility of cherry picking examples, but I'll also readily admit that your points are cogent and seem well-reasoned.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Think Boatright and Jalen Adams would like to have a word.

He’s probably one of the best finishers of the Hurley era. But that’s also because a lot of guys during this time have been really bad around the rim.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You know you're making some decent points when they attack you and not the specifics of your argument.

I'm not an NBA follower, and I'll admit that I'm skeptical because of my poor knowledge base and the possibility of cherry picking examples, but I'll also readily admit that your points are cogent and seem well-reasoned.
Par the course for this board lol

Reaction Score
Whatever show that is, I didn’t watch. My bad!!!!
Wow. I didn't think there was anyone in the U.S. who doesn't know what The Simpsons is. It's been running for about 35 years straight. You learn something new everyday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom