NBA Bound Stephan | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NBA Bound Stephan

Reaction Score
With Castle, I think if he ends up not going into the draft it wont be a bad look due to extenuating circumstances. Hurley can talk to recruits and say an injury derailed his season so he came back and dominated as a sophomore and then was a lottery pick. I think if you are still here as a junior then it starts to be a problem. Selfishly I think if he ends up needing to come back he could be an all american as a sophomore

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What on Earth does that have to do with what I just said?
It's not extraterrestrially bad, it just doesn't evidence any consideration that what seems at greatest risk might be UConn as a good destination for a one-and-done prospects and not UConn as a good/great program.

Reaction Score
He better step up his game to get picked at #5. I think he needs to start and live or die with him in there for 30 minutes a game. Confident in staff to put him in position for both him and team to be successful. I wish we were hearing stories of him shooting 500-1000 threes every day. Needs big minutes to get him in the flow.
He needs to have an outside shot. I’m perplexed how he’s a one and done.

Reaction Score
He just started playing college ball like how many games ago? He’s behind. This guy will be a problem by March, really before that. Only negative about him is he isn’t a good shooter. But he looks like he will be will hard work. He’s good!

Reaction Score
It's not nonsense, getting to the NBA is priority 1, 2 and 3 for the top 10-20 recruits every year. And that would be used by every single opposing coach in future recruitments, the same way Hurley would try to point to Bouknight and Hawkins when he's recruiting a 50th ranked guard
Nonsense. Getting to the NBA should be priority 1, 2, and 3 for the top 60 - 70 guys playing COLLEGE basketball right now. Not 10 - 20 high school hotshots who have NOT proved they are what they were projected to be. Castle needs to improve in several facets in the game before he considers the NBA and that may take another year or two (much like Hawkins).

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Nonsense. Getting to the NBA should be priority 1, 2, and 3 for the top 60 - 70 guys playing COLLEGE basketball right now. Not 10 - 20 high school hotshots who have NOT proved they are what they were projected to be. Castle needs to improve in several facets in the game before he considers the NBA and that may take another year or two (much like Hawkins).
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

Reaction Score
If the pundits say he’s a lottery pick, I’m not going to disagree. That said, with his inability to shoot from outside, the coaching staff will need to figure out how to best deploy him on offense. Hall wasn’t fully sagging off him a la the AJ Island defense last night but it’s definitely coming.

Reaction Score
Stephon will be a lottery pick this upcoming draft, no doubt about it.
If you sat through any of his AAU and US team games, you can see it. I felt he wasn't comfortable in his shoes last night and was trying to force things because the team was worse than stagnant.
BTW - I agree 100% with HW611 - it won't be a good look IF he does not go lottery next spring.
If he stinks up the place at this level (which he has so far) then he'll stink up the place at the next level where most everybody is uber athletic but most have a game other than going to the rim (Andre excepted, and he is marginal at best at the NBA level). Let's watch him get more comfortable and better here, whether it takes one year or two, or whatever.

Reaction Score
As fans, we should be rooting for NBA careers that come about from 2 or 3 season of development at UConn (see Sanogo, Hawkins nd Jackson most recently). Not a bunch of one-and-done's. Not that we wouldn't take them but, UConn is not Kentucky or Duke that can survive 1 or more one-and-done's on a consistent basis. UConn has slipped somewhat after each NC because of early departures. So consistency.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
He needs to have an outside shot. I’m perplexed how he’s a one and done.
Did you see what happened when he ran into the SH guard. He is an nba prospect because he is a true 6’6” and he is exceptionally strong with a good handle. That allows him to get anywhere on the court he wants to go. I think we are seeing trepidation due to lack of confidence associated with not only the injury but just getting back into the flow. I would say he looked like he was pressing but don't think that’s it. Personally if he just shows up and plays D against opposing 3’s or 4’s , and gives us 6 rebounds 5 assists and 9-10 points and average 30 minutes a game then by tourney time he may be ready to show more offense. But it was one game and he has a nice pull up floater from inside 10 feet that I think will become lethal because he can get into the lane at will.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
“Hotshots”
1703189461083.gif

Reaction Score
It’s not going to be a good look if a projected top 10 pick comes back for another year the one chance we have with a one and done prospect. That’s the reality.

I’m not saying it will happen. I’m saying it’s something we should hope doesn’t happen. It will be a dock on our development pitch.
What? What would be a good look would be consistent Final Four appearances. And this goal would be greatly enhanced by annually putting a talented and EXPERIENCED team on the court. UConn is not Kentucky or Duke.

Reaction Score
Castle needs to be in the starting lineup from here on in. I said it in another thread. He's way to talented to continue to come off the bench. I don't think he's a come off the bench spark plug type player. He needs to be in the mix and get some nice reps and mistakes out early. He needs to get used to the pace and needs to get a feel for his teammates. Plus he's our best on defender not named Diarra.

Reaction Score
It isn’t going to be good for us perception wise if Castle has to come back a second year.

Nonsense. Nobody develops talent as well as our coaching staff. We have seen huge improvements from players going back to Vital, Polley, and Whaley. Even Tyrese Martin made the NBA. The only time Bouknight was any good was when he played for Hurley.

Did Hawkins becoming a lottery pick his second year reflect badly on our staff?

Reaction Score
What? What would be a good look would be consistent Final Four appearances. And this goal would be greatly enhanced by annually putting a talented and EXPERIENCED team on the court. UConn is not Kentucky or Duke.

I don't usually point to a negative post:like ratio, but I'm just going to drop that and not engage. Have a splendid holiday.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Nonsense. Nobody develops talent as well as our coaching staff. We have seen huge improvements from players going back to Vital, Polley, and Whaley. Even Tyrese Martin made the NBA. The only time Bouknight was any good was when he played for Hurley.

Did Hawkins becoming a lottery pick his second year reflect badly on our staff?
I get what your saying, but none of those guys outside of Hawkins are going to impress someone with NBA aspirations.

Previously, the standard for NBA development was the Rip, Ray’s, Carons, Rudy’s etc. There was a time period where we had some of the best players in the league period. That’s my personal standard for what I’m hoping we can get back to with the talent we are bringing in again.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Not related but staying in college ain’t a bad thing. There is the novel idea that you are getting a college degree and growing intellectually. But the again Arch Manning did not even start for his college team and had made over 3 times what the leading candidate for NFL MVP Brock Purdy is making this year. Think about that for a minute or two just let it simmer in your mind. Does this seem right……. I was all for playing the players but this situation has now officially entered an area where there will be no soft landing. NIL in its current format will lead to the end of big time college athletics. It’s hard enough to keep these kids from hurting themselves when they are 21 making $10 million a year. Just speaking personally if I was making $3M a year as a freshman in college the last place you would find me would be in class.

Reaction Score
I get what your saying, but none of those guys outside of Hawkins are going to impress someone with NBA aspirations.

Previously, the standard for NBA development was the Rip, Ray’s, Carons, Rudy’s etc. There was a time period where we had some of the best players in the league period. That’s my personal standard for what I’m hoping we can get back to with the talent we are bringing in again.

If elite NBA talent was the key to national championships Kentucky would win every year. Often college teams are better off with skilled and experienced veteran's vs NBA talented freshman. Not much NBA talent on San Diego State and FAU last year.

One and Done's are a double-edged sword, Castle will likely never match the impact that Newton has had for UConn.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If elite NBA talent was the key to national championships Kentucky would win every year. Often college teams are better off with skilled and experienced veteran's vs NBA talented freshman. Not much NBA talent on San Diego State and FAU last year.

One and Done's are a double-edged sword, Castle will likely never match the impact that Newton has had for UConn.
I think there’s a way to balance both. Doesn’t have to be oochie wallie or one mic.

Reaction Score
Did you see what happened when he ran into the SH guard. He is an nba prospect because he is a true 6’6” and he is exceptionally strong with a good handle. That allows him to get anywhere on the court he wants to go. I think we are seeing trepidation due to lack of confidence associated with not only the injury but just getting back into the flow. I would say he looked like he was pressing but don't think that’s it. Personally if he just shows up and plays D against opposing 3’s or 4’s , and gives us 6 rebounds 5 assists and 9-10 points and average 30 minutes a game then by tourney time he may be ready to show more offense. But it was one game and he has a nice pull up floater from inside 10 feet that I think will become lethal because he can get into the lane at will.
I’m not saying he’s not talented, and he can do those things you mentioned however, he should avoid shooting beyond the foul line until he improves the outside shooting. Yes he has an NBA body, but the midget he ran into isn’t your typical NBA guard.

Reaction Score
Exactly the point. Rip was three years at UConn, Ray (3 yrs), Caron (2 yrs) and Rudy (2 yrs). That's not to mention Emeka (3) and Kemba (3). All NOT one-and-done's.

The point is NOT anything negative about Castle. He's gonna be special. But it is about the "right time" to leave the program and that sure doesn't look like it should be this year.

Reaction Score
Castle needs to be in the starting lineup from here on in. I said it in another thread. He's way to talented to continue to come off the bench. I don't think he's a come off the bench spark plug type player. He needs to be in the mix and get some nice reps and mistakes out early. He needs to get used to the pace and needs to get a feel for his teammates. Plus he's our best on defender not named Diarra.
Honestly besides the recruiting ranking what has he done to deserve a starting spot? Solo has defended almost as well and even with his shaky shot has been better on offense overall. Solo also doesn’t need the ball in his hands to be effective. Why start Castle instead of letting him play with the second team and run the offense?

Reaction Score
Exactly the point. Rip was three years at UConn, Ray (3 yrs), Caron (2 yrs) and Rudy (2 yrs). That's not to mention Emeka (3) and Kemba (3). All NOT one-and-done's.

The point is NOT anything negative about Castle. He's gonna be special. But it is about the "right time" to leave the program and that sure doesn't look like it should be this year.

Every one of the players you listed is retired from basketball. Most for a decade+.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom