NBA Bound Stephan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NBA Bound Stephan

Reaction Score
i was surprised by his passing last night. I understand his shot will come, but he had at least 3 passes stolen/deflected. All the publicity talked of his passing and vision. I trust its still there, and he's either pressing as a freshman or just rusty coming off injury. hopefully just an off game

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Stephon will be a lottery pick this upcoming draft, no doubt about it.
If you sat through any of his AAU and US team games, you can see it. I felt he wasn't comfortable in his shoes last night and was trying to force things because the team was worse than stagnant.
BTW - I agree 100% with HW611 - it won't be a good look IF he does not go lottery next spring.

Reaction Score
I fear it may be another Drummond situation for us: a good future pro who's underwhelming during his one season in Storrs.
This is the most likely scenario as far as I'm concerned: he'll fall from top 5 to #12 or so, have a so-so season, but not really be the force we were expecting and limit our ceiling (especially given that the skills he provides are exactly the gap we need to fill).

The good news is, as a guard, he's more likely to figure it out quickly, but this is becoming more of a hope and an extrapolation than an expectation based on existing evidence.

Reaction Score
He’s going top 5 according to the gurus here, we have him for just this season. Can someone explain to me after watching last night how that happens?
Hurley pulled him in favor of Ball. Sloppy ball handling, shooting touch, it goes on. We know he will be much better but geez no dominant talent came in off that bench when he got in there, up till now. Hope it changes.
He sucked last night. If that’s how he plays all year, he’s not a top ten pick. Having said that, it was one damn game. He has played much much better than that previously, and everyone except DC and possibly Tristan sucked last night.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Not little brother. Just more blue collar. It’s the reality of the situation.
So Rudy Gay coming back a second year hurt us? You’re looking way to hard into this lol.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
All good discussion points here, and all super valid.

I’d just caution everyone that he just came back and is just getting comfortable as a frosh, on a veteran team, off an injury.

The team and him individually will be greatly different, good bad or whatever, by March.

Reaction Score
It’s not going to be a good look if a projected top 10 pick comes back for another year the one chance we have with a one and done prospect. That’s the reality.

I’m not saying it will happen. I’m saying it’s something we should hope doesn’t happen. It will be a dock on our development pitch.
I'm not sure about that. It's not that unusual for highly touted athletic freshmen who haven't learned to shoot the ball well and/or demonstrate a solid level of D1 play to end up returning to hone their game for another year. The fact that he missed a bunch of games due to an injury, and needed time to show his A-game won't likely cast UConn as a non-destination for future potential 1-and-done recruits.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think NBA teams won't see him as a lottery pick if Castle doesn't improve his ability to be more decisive in the half court offense and improving his ability to finish in the paint. Since he returned, the half court flow seems to stop flowing when he's out there. He's good at taking it to the basket, but has struggled to finish both at the rim and midrange.

Now there's a lot of ball to be played and time to acclimate to the motion offense and improve all aspects of his game. One comparison that comes to mind is Caron Butler. Granted, Caron made his jump to the NBA after his sophomore year. He struggled with his shot the first half to 3/4 of his sophomore season, but then he corrected a flaw in his jump shot (added a little more arc on it) went on a tare carrying the team the rest of the way. Castle doesn't need to carry the team. He just needs to play like a starter, show the skills people expect (physically attacking the rim, decisively setting up his teammates and playing lockdown D) and improve his midrange and deep J and he'll continue to be in the lottery conversation.

Reaction Score
This is the most likely scenario as far as I'm concerned: he'll fall from top 5 to #12 or so, have a so-so season, but not really be the force we were expecting and limit our ceiling (especially given that the skills he provides are exactly the gap we need to fill).

The good news is, as a guard, he's more likely to figure it out quickly, but this is becoming more of a hope and an extrapolation than an expectation based on existing evidence.
That’s kind of where I’m at. Theres no evidence at this point that he’s going to have much of an impact this year on offense at least. It’s one thing to be rusty and not finish plays or shots, but trouble is that he’s not creating good opportunities in the first place - and the ball tends to stick when it comes to him and our possessions bog down. Maybe be can be effective as a 4-man in a small lineup where he can operate 10 feet and in and try to use his quickness against bigger players until he finds his way. But that’s certainly not the role any of us envisioned.

I will say that I felt much the same way about Newton last year around the end of January when he was sputtering and not contributing much on offense, so perhaps the sophistication of some of our sets makes it tough on guards who find themselves overthinking and not simply playing. Which can be exacerbated when you’ve been out a while.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That’s kind of where I’m at. Theres no evidence at this point that he’s going to have much of an impact this year on offense at least. It’s one thing to be rusty and not finish plays or shots, but trouble is that he’s not creating good opportunities in the first place - and the ball tends to stick when it comes to him and our possessions bog down. Maybe be can be effective as a 4-man in a small lineup where he can operate 10 feet and in and try to use his quickness against bigger players until he finds his way. But that’s certainly not the role any of us envisioned.

I will say that I felt much the same way about Newton last year around the end of January when he was sputtering and not contributing much on offense, so perhaps the sophistication of some of our sets makes it tough on guards who find themselves overthinking and not simply playing. Which can be exacerbated when you’ve been out a while.
I would just say wait until he’s playing starter minutes again before coming to any conclusions. It’s not fair to judge him before he’s fully back in his regular role.

Reaction Score
I would just say wait until he’s playing starter minutes again before coming to any conclusions. It’s not fair to judge him before he’s fully back in his regular role.
I would agree - surprised at speculation of him being a a bust so early in season. If other players has excelled last night and Stephan had not - maybe more understandable. But there was not one player that player well last night - except for Clingan who as we all know left the game early.

For me, the sloppy passes, lack of hustle, bricks, those are a bit concerning but hoping he is just gettin ready to show us what he’s got.

Reaction Score
This. How many minutes has he played this season? Way too early to jump to any conclusions. I'm surprised at some of you. I will be sure to bump this thread when he starts playing very well. It'll be easy to find this thread. I can just search for "Stephan" since I don't think anyone on here has ever called him that. :)

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Problem solvers are out in force today. We must have lost last night

Does anyone or anything, from freshmen to team chemistry to Debbie Downers, ever grow from experience? Rhetorical question people, two out of three catagoricories do. The third will just find something new that they think all of us should worry about

So darn cute, bless their hearts for teaching us all basketball and life

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Try this on; it fits for me:

I'm seeing a player who doesn't quite fit, and it affects the team's play. As such, I'm not particularly impressed.

Nevertheless, he has to play in order to get the reps to integrate well with the team. This is what all parties signed up for.

Right now, it's a reasoned leap of faith, not what we want to be seeing, but fully necessary.

Ironically, the circumstances bear surface resemblance to the Jaylin Stewart discussion. It's still 2023.

Reaction Score
Stephan,
We know you can drive just show us a 3, a midrange and don't throw the ball away. it's a we ask.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Last year there were 3 sophomores, 3 juniors, 4 seniors drafted in the 1st round. In Rudy's draft there were 7 sophomores, 7 juniors, 8 seniors drafted. So yes, different NBA
Good job using google mate. Regardless what a few dudes on the boneyard think, UConn will be just fine if by chance he comes back.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Stephan,
We know you can drive just show us a 3, a midrange and don't throw the ball away. it's a we ask.
C'mon, you're regressing: continued misspelling of his name; multiple instances of absent and/or incorrect punctuation; lack of capitalization; careless "a" to instead of "all."

My mild suggestion is that you take a rest and return with greater attention to detail. You'll be modeling for Stephon what you want from him. As such, it's not too big of an ask.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good job using google mate. Regardless what a few dudes on the boneyard think, UConn will be just fine if by chance he comes back.
What on Earth does that have to do with what I just said?

Reaction Score
You clearly saw his individual NBA level skills. He's still trying to fit in and will likely struggle playing 3rd/4th option on offense until he cracks the starting lineup.
But why should he crack the starting lineup if he can’t figure out how to not be lead dog? He’s gotten run with both starters and the second team. Should he be starting and we be running the offense through him? If not, can he shoot well enough to start but not be option 1a? He’s like a poor man’s AJax until he starts shooting even decently

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom