Natalie's Upside? | The Boneyard

Natalie's Upside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can Boneyarders more knowledgeable than I opine on NB's upside? I had moderately high hopes for her when she transferred, but so far she really hasn't had much impact. She seems a half step slow and tentative, to my uneducated eye. I think we'll need her deep in the tournament and against a big team like South Carolina. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Nat needs to work on her reflex, her reflex is like slow-mo compare to Gabby and Pheesa. If she ever wanted to be a better player what she needs is meditation, she needs to imagine herself grabbing that rebound before it start on its way down.
Her turn around jump shot is a disaster btw.

Reaction Score
Natalie seems to me like she is thinking the game step by step instead of reacting instinctively. Her footwork can also use work. She spreads her feet
wide and it forces her to have to gather herself before shooting or in order to change direction on defense.

I think the staff should, and probably does, work with her on two or three "automatic" moves, "When you get the ball here you turn left and take a baby hook shot with your right hand." "When you get it here go back up immediately."

Natalie is less "college polished" than many of UConn's recruits. She will have a learning curve this year and next but she will play important minutes and we will need her.

Reaction Score
You cannot compare Gabby, Napheesa --realistically-- to Natalie. Size and width and weigh have a tendency to slow "big" girls down. To Natalies credit, she slimmed down a bit. She will never be a 'quick', sure footed player--
She is a thinker--not accustomed to 'reacting'.
Why then does UConn want or need her; Natalie, has good hands, if the passes isnt a bullet--she'll catch it. So that is up to the guard to know who and how to pass to. She is a very good rebounder. At times she has been tentative in her passing but that will work it's way out when she plays with the BiG4 more often. She a very good shooter, usually, from 15 feet into the basket.
The one thing Ms Butler does not need ----MORE CRITiCS---Geno will give her more critiques than she'll ever desire!!

Uconn needs her ---as seen in the MD game--when Collier and or Gabby get into foul trouble or illness--it will never be unplug Napheesa and plug in Natalie--but she will provide decent minutes in the post ---and if she develops the confidence she had at GT--she'll be a huge asset!!

Reaction Score
She is what she is: not great hands, plays small, and has a propensity to put the ball on the floor. I don't think too many players improve much between their 3rd and 4th, let alone their 4th and 5th, seasons of college ball, so another few months or even another year isn't going to make a huge difference. Next year minutes will be even tougher to go around when we'll have another big option in the transfer from Duke, Azura Stevens, who at 6-6 is an inch taller than Butler.

Reaction Score
Nat needs to work on her reflex, her reflex is like slow-mo compare to Gabby and Pheesa. If she ever wanted to be a better player what she needs is meditation, she needs to imagine herself grabbing that rebound before it start on its way down.
Her turn around jump shot is a disaster btw.
Some minor adjustments can be made to reflexes----but usually you are stuck or blessed with those you were born with.
In BB --reflexes are adjusted to the speed of the game and those you play with--knowing them to the nth degree.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nat has improved in several areas over last year. Her footwork has gotten much better on defense and as a result she is better at denying post entry passes. In addition, whenever she does control the ball, she has learned to hold it with both hands above her head, making it virtually impossible to be stripped by a smaller player. Finally, she is a better passer than last year, with a number of assists in the past few games.

On the downside, Nat does not have good hands. She has difficulty securing the ball, particularly in traffic. Her other challenge is timing, when to jump for a rebound or to defend a shot.

When she first got here, everyone compared her to Steph. That was an unfair comparison because Steph had great hands, footwork & timing.

I actually prefer to compare Nat to Kiah Stokes. It took Kiah 3 years to get full control of her body and she became an outstanding defender & rebounder as a senior. While I don't see quite as much upside for Nat, I certainly expect more improvement before she's done at UConn.

Reaction Score
She is what she is: not great hands, plays small, and has a propensity to put the ball on the floor. I don't think too many players improve much between their 3rd and 4th, let alone their 4th and 5th, seasons of college ball, so another few months or even another year isn't going to make a huge difference. Next year minutes will be even tougher to go around when we'll have another big option in the transfer from Duke, Azura Stevens, who at 6-6 is an inch taller than Butler.

Yes with Natalie--it's pretty much it is what it is---but some extended minutes with the BIG 3 will help in knowing how to work with each other better. Look for the goodness of Natalie and we'll see it.

Reaction Score
The best coaching staff in the world is evaluating, teaching and deciding the amount of playing time. One does not need to be a basketball expert to be comfortable that Nat will continue to progress under such expert tutoring and get minutes determined by that progress. Her participation in big games at important times is a clear recognition of how valued she is by the staff, and should also be by BY followers.

Reaction Score
Is it me, or does it seem that Butler plays best after being in the game for several minutes? Seems as though she finishes games much better than she begins them. Is she just more comfortable playing when the pressure's off? She certainly has all the tools, but she is shockingly tentative. Witness all the times she passes outside when she gets a pass or rebound right under the basket. How many times does Kara Lawson or Megan Culmo have to scream into the mike, "She needs to just go up with the ball! She'll either make it, or get fouled."

Very odd. And she's had two years with Geno and his coaching staff. Should be playing bigger by now.

Reaction Score
Natalie, has good hands, if the passes isnt a bullet--she'll catch it. So that is up to the guard to know who and how to pass to. She is a very good rebounder. At times she has been tentative in her passing but that will work it's way out when she plays with the BiG4 more often. She a very good shooter, usually, from 15 feet into the basket.
T
]

I am sorry but Butler has terrible hands. She is constantly fumbling passes and bobbling rebounds. She is a below average rebounder for somebody her size. She does have a decent set shot but needs to be wide open to get it off because her release is so slow and she doesn't jump when she shoots it. With that being said Butler plays hard and has obviously worked her tail off to get in better shape. Unfortunately, the biggest thing holding Butler back is something she can't change and that is her lack of god given athleticism.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Natalie is a RS Junior. Unless we advance the conversation well beyond "upside" we will not realize how much she has already contributed to this year's team. Let's stop obsessing over the things she can't do and appreciate the things she has done.

Reaction Score
More disappointed in her defense. Poor decisions on when to help and defending the pick n roll. must be more aggressive on boards. Want to see her get physical. She's got 5 fouls to give, but she tends to stay away from contact.

Reaction Score
Nat has improved in several areas over last year. Her footwork has gotten much better on defense and as a result she is better at denying post entry passes. In addition, whenever she does control the ball, she has learned to hold it with both hands above her head, making it virtually impossible to be stripped by a smaller player. Finally, she is a better passer than last year, with a number of assists in the past few games.

On the downside, Nat does not have good hands. She has difficulty securing the ball, particularly in traffic. Her other challenge is timing, when to jump for a rebound or to defend a shot.

When she first got here, everyone compared her to Steph. That was an unfair comparison because Steph had great hands, footwork & timing.

I actually prefer to compare Nat to Kiah Stokes. It took Kiah 3 years to get full control of her body and she became an outstanding defender & rebounder as a senior. While I don't see quite as much upside for Nat, I certainly expect more improvement before she's done at UConn.

No way you can compare her to Kiah Stokes, Kiah was an outstanding defensive player and shot blocker. Butler plays scared when receiving the ball almost as if she closes her eyes when receiving the ball. She seems like a very sweet girl but hasn't improved much since arriving.

Reaction Score
No way you can compare her to Kiah Stokes, Kiah was an outstanding defensive player and shot blocker. Butler plays scared when receiving the ball almost as if she closes her eyes when receiving the ball. She seems like a very sweet girl but hasn't improved much since arriving.
While not sure I would go this far, agree Nat can be more aggressive. Another thought-while not as strong a player as the #1 centers on top 20 teams, she likely will be one of the top "Bigs" in our league. With very little height in league, she is likely to perform well and provide needed minutes off the bench. Wish she would develop but happy to have her as Huskie.

Reaction Score
]

I am sorry but Butler has terrible hands. She is constantly fumbling passes and bobbling rebounds. She is a below average rebounder for somebody her size. She does have a decent set shot but needs to be wide open to get it off because her release is so slow and she doesn't jump when she shoots it. With that being said Butler plays hard and has obviously worked her tail off to get in better shape. Unfortunately, the biggest thing holding Butler back is something she can't change and that is her lack of god given athleticism.

You say tomato---I say tomata---you see what you want to see--I see Natalie If a guard passes to her in traffic, below the knees---or a bullet pass from 6 ft she's not going to handle them--to me that's on the passer. Obviously Geno thinks so to cuz one of Dangers passes to Butlers ankles-got Danger pulled. But you are right Natalie-s jump is 3 inches high--as a support person with very limited minutes --getting rebounds is a plus. I've often said Natalie is an excellent Natalie --and she is what she is. You don't have to love her or even like her--
When God passed out ATHLETICISM--HE/SHE---just walked right on by Ms Butler. But we fans have seen all this last year ---nothing new here. She is needed--of that there is little doubt---but next year we may be writing the same stuff.
She is a part and parcel of this team--like it or not. She is what she is. I see no value to me, to you, to Natalie, nor the team to pick her apart---she probably reads this crap--that just MY view---you are absolutely entitled to your--
Every thing you say about Butler--she was when Geno picked her up and obviously viewed game films of her at GT.
And to top that failure off----he uses her in Big games---what does that say of Geno//??/????

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
People wanted Natalie to be Stefanie but we got Paige Sauer, and that is NOT an insult. Natalie has shown several times that she has a very good basketball IQ and most of her passes into the post have been right on the money. That is a gift not all post players have. On the flip side, as others have pointed out, Natalie's footwork isn't there yet and she needs some stickum on her hands. Those two weaknesses are more exposed against uptempo or very physical teams where she can't get the positioning she's used to. However, when Natalie is playing against a team that would rather play at a deliberate pace or prefers a half-court offense, she's quite effective. Natalie has contributed many important minutes to the team and, IMO, will continue to do so - just not against every team.

Couple more random things -

• She may be 6'6", but Azura Stevens is not a center. She's a wing forward, or 4/3 player who compares her game to Elena DelleDonne. I have no idea how her playing next year will affect Natalie but I do know when Geno "goes small" he's going scare the pants off the opponents.
  • Rebounding has nothing to do with height and everything to do with boxing out & positioning - and sometimes understanding how the ball comes off the rim. Usually shooters like Diana, or Shabazz Napier on the men's team, got a lot of rebounds that way. Watch Gabby (8.1 rpg) and Napheesa (7.6 rpg) outrebound much bigger players and you'll see what I mean.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
People wanted Natalie to be Stefanie but we got Paige Sauer, and that is NOT an insult. Natalie has shown several times that she has a very good basketball IQ and most of her passes into the post have been right on the money. That is a gift not all post players have. On the flip side, as others have pointed out, Natalie's footwork isn't there yet and she needs some stickum on her hands. Those two weaknesses are more exposed against uptempo or very physical teams where she can't get the positioning she's used to. However, when Natalie is playing against a team that would rather play at a deliberate pace or prefers a half-court offense, she's quite effective. Natalie has contributed many important minutes to the team and, IMO, will continue to do so - just not against every team.

Couple more random things -

• She may be 6'6", but Azura Stevens is not a center. She's a wing forward, or 4/3 player who compares her game to Elena DelleDonne. I have no idea how her playing next year will affect Natalie but I do know when Geno "goes small" he's going scare the pants off the opponents.
  • Rebounding has nothing to do with height and everything to do with boxing out & positioning - and sometimes understanding how the ball comes off the rim. Usually shooters like Diana, or Shabazz Napier on the men's team, got a lot of rebounds that way. Watch Gabby (8.1 rpg) and Napheesa (7.6 rpg) outrebound much bigger players and you'll see what I mean.

I agree completely. There have been several games where she came in and provided size in the post and contributed valuable minutes. There are some players that she simply matches up with better. I just wonder if there are any lingering problems from the thumb injury from last year that are causing some issues holding onto the ball.

Reaction Score

Well said. Nat is what she is, good hands, good size, rebounds well, has a nice shot in the mid-range.

Reaction Score
She is a part and parcel of this team--like it or not. She is what she is. I see no value to me, to you, to Natalie, nor the team to pick her apart---she probably reads this crap--that just MY view---you are absolutely entitled to your--
Every thing you say about Butler--she was when Geno picked her up and obviously viewed game films of her at GT.
/????

Isn't that what fan boards are all about? Debating the good and bad of players, who played well, who had a bad game, who is getting better, who is struggling, etc? I am not trying to pick anybody apart and I am happy she is a part of this team. Just pointing out my opinion and we all know the saying about opinions.

Reaction Score
Isn't that what fan boards are all about? Debating the good and bad of players, who played well, who had a bad game, who is getting better, who is struggling, etc? I am not trying to pick anybody apart and I am happy she is a part of this team. Just pointing out my opinion and we all know the saying about opinions.

If I came across less than civil--and I try to not damn opinions--cuz that's all they are--if I made you think other wise i apologize. You are right we discuss the good games and how great so and so was. That's great. But Natalie seems to be an on going --same and more of the same. Again you are generous in you reply--and again--if i offended accept my apology.
I don't mind tearing up ND, Duke, USC, Tn or even JMU players---most will never read this.
Much of this isn't a debate--because much what is present is similar so the debate doesn't take place.
Again--this just me--personally I see no value to continue the same comment into another year--of what Natalie can't or should do. Natalie is an intelligent woman, of that have no doubt. As you pointed out she works hard. With her size, width personality, desires, she is what she is. Christine has worked with her against Stew, Gabby, Napheesa, Azura, etc
she is what she is.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
She's limited in the fact that she has no vertical leap at all. She has good recognition on D. Nitpick if you must, but she's a role player.

Reaction Score
]

This!

Based on all observation she seems to be a fine young woman. She is an enthusiastic supporter of her teammates and appears to be liked by them. When Natalie plays she seems to play hard most of the time and she tries hard. That may be one of the two worst things that can be said about someone. The other is that he/she means well. The latter is a euphemism for he/she doesn't do well. The former suggests that he/she doesn't produce.

At UCONN, Natalie is way out of her league. The disparity between her abilities as a basketball player and those of her teammates and certainly those of her opponents on the OOC schedule Connecticut plays are highlighted night-in and night-out. Such disparities were not and would not continue to be as evident in the U.S. CYO league where Georgetown plays. (yeah, I know, the AAC is terrible too, but at least there's USF). DePaul may be ranked but let's not kid. Very few of those CYO teams are consistent NC contenders and they don't play a difficult OOC schedule.

What does Geno say about not being able to play kids he can't trust? Do you think he really trusts Natalie to catch the ball? Do you think he trusts her to rebound the ball and not have it easily taken away? He plays her for two reasons I suspect. The first is that he can't play Pheesa, Gabby, and Lou for 40 minutes a game and when he looks down his bench, Butler vs. Irwin is not even a choice. Secondly, he sometimes simply needs a bigger body to lean on the bigs that play for many of UCONN's opponents.

Natalie Butler's upside is that in 15 months (perhaps, hopefully only 3) she will have an opportunity to begin her life's work. Unlike myself who was at best a so-so high school athlete (along with millions of others), Natalie will always be able to say that she was a D1 athlete at a university that is the greatest women's basketball program of all time and was a contributing member of 3 or 4 championship teams. For a Natalie Butler personally, that's a pretty outstanding upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom